Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm doing the roadie thing in the 75 mile ride at Sea Otter and, after 37 beautiful miles, the clouds come and bring a horrible headwind (like 25-30 mph) for the last half home. Lucky for me, I hook up with two awesome women and we form a paceline. Along the way, we pass several solo males, to all of whom we make the offer to join our little paceline -- some decline politely, some accept but can't keep up and get dropped, and then we reach this one guy -- the gal in the lead at the time offers for him to join our paceline, he initially says nothing and then as I pass him, he says, "I can't believe I'm getting passed by three chicks." :eek: I reply, "No, you're getting passed by three HOT chicks" and speed off with the gals. :cool:

Well, sure enough, about a mile later, guess who has found his mojo and now wants into our paceline? Mr. "Chick". We let him in and he's nice from there on out and we ride all the way to the finish with him and he even takes his turns "pulling". All in all, a success story for all of us -- so why does it still bug me? :confused: And what's up with that attitude? I would never say to some guy "I can't believe I'm getting passed by a dude." Plus, you would think that any guy would LOVE to ride in a paceline with cute women -- I mean you really are pretty darn close to the next person's shapely posterior!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
trailwoman said:
...then we reach this one guy -- the gal in the lead at the time offers for him to join our paceline, he initially says nothing and then as I pass him, he says, "I can't believe I'm getting passed by three chicks." :eek: I reply, "No, you're getting passed by three HOT chicks" and speed off with the gals. :cool:

Well, sure enough, about a mile later, guess who has found his mojo and now wants into our paceline? Mr. "Chick". We let him in and he's nice from there on out and we ride all the way to the finish with him and he even takes his turns "pulling". All in all, a success story for all of us -- so why does it still bug me? :confused: And what's up with that attitude? I would never say to some guy "I can't believe I'm getting passed by a dude."
Some guys are just Bozos. I expect any paceline to be faster than a solo rider. I have no issues with what gender the riders are.
If I am that solo rider I will join the line if I can.

Plus, you would think that any guy would LOVE to ride in a paceline with cute women -- I mean you really are pretty darn close to the next person's shapely posterior!
I refuse to answer on the grounds I may be shown a big stack of tampon boxes! :)

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Getting "chicked," aarrrgghh :mad:

I don't get my chamois in a bunch about getting....uhh...."duded." :rolleyes: Even when the dude in question has a big ol' gut.

That's like getting mad b/c somebody older or younger than you passed you. Sure, for a fleeting moment, you say to yourself, "Man! That guy is 75 years old and he smoked me!" Or, "Some kid without a helmet just cleaned that section....I *still* can't!"

Usually, though, my next thought is simply, "Hope I can be riding like that when I'm 75." Or, "Wish I caught the mtb bug when I was that young."

Got nothing to do with gender or age, just fitness.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
trailwoman said:
... as I pass him, he says, "I can't believe I'm getting passed by three chicks." :eek: I reply, "No, you're getting passed by three HOT chicks" and speed off with the gals. :cool:

-- so why does it still bug me? :confused: And what's up with that attitude?
That is a very witty retort!

It bugs you because its really condescending.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I havent been riding much lately. I'm not overweight. I just dont get out to ride as much as I wish.

Lately I have been getting "fat-duded". And even more often I have been getting "old-geezered".

I have to get it together. I remember back in the good old days, when I used to get "chicked" by top female expert and pro racers. It made me feel good just to keep up with them for a lap. I can clearly recall getting "chicked" by Alison Dunlap.

·
here today
5,926 Posts
I'm sure you have heard it before but women will be men's equal when a woman believes she's the hottest when bald and with a beer-gut.

Some guy have a turd on their shoulders but it seems to be a common attitude perpetuated often by men and also by some women.

Certainly MTB is a sport that lacks in equal number of participants. I have a tendancy to react in just the opposite direction - our usual ride group (all male) - we sometime ride with or cross other groups - I'm 'wary' of the female riders - as the habitual (ie need a fix) female riders are always, almost without exception, a cut well-above the posers - so those coy smiles followed by 70 cm straight ups always get my respect but I'm never surprized.

was, but learned ;)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It's a guy thing....

Some guys being competitive in general like to think they're the "Big Dawg" on the block and generally don't like being shown up by what they perceive as th "weaker" sex. I'm ashamed to say that I'm guilty of this myself from time to time. One group I've ridden with had a short little 20 something female rider. First time I met her I thought she was going to slow us down. I was friendly and was getting ready for an "easy" ride. Boy was I wrong! While she wasn't as fast as most of us, she did hold her own, but she really kicked our a$$es going over some of the bigger logs that a lot of us hiking over them. That little woman had some skill and could easily kill me in a trials type ride. I've run into Sue Haywood at some of the local races I've done. One race we started up a 5 mile fire road. Along the way she rolls up and I say hi. We chat for a few and then she says something like "well....I've gotta go now....see ya at the finish". She procedes on up ahead while I'm there pedaling sucking wind. Since we're the same age, at some lower brain level I had to resent her for that, but like I said, that's the guy in me. The way I try to look at it is that there's ALWAYS someone fast, better, etc than me. I'm actually really glad someone from my home state has done so much to bring cycling to WV I've beaten 18 yr old super in shape kids at races and I've been beaten by 50 yr old+ vet class racers. Just as long as I'm having fun, it's all good. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good comments, all -- thanks. Perspective always helps. Maybe that guy was just having a rough ride in the wind and his words came out the wrong way. He did seem to be an okay guy for the rest of the ride. Water under the bridge now, I suppose.

(For the record, I never mind getting "duded", "old geezered" or passed by dogs and children. When the lizards pass me though, I must admit my ego does get bruised. :D )

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
crashedandburned said:
Some guys being competitive in general like to think they're the "Big Dawg" on the block and generally don't like being shown up by what they perceive as th "weaker" sex. I'm ashamed to say that I'm guilty of this myself from time to time. )
Thanks for being honest. It is true, that a lot of guys don't like getting passed up by gals. I know that when I ride, sometimes I will catch guys on the climbs. It often happens that when I catch one of these guys and they see I'm female, they will totally step on the gas to avoid getting passed, or to pass me up. Usually this works for a short time until they blow up, at which point I pass them for good. :p

On the downhills, everyone passes me though!

·
here today
5,926 Posts
Impy said:
they will totally step on the gas to avoid getting passed, or to pass me up.
See this all the time ... but with roadies on a 2,7k hill in town ... nice to see the eye pop as we 'fat boy' - bikes and the motors on them cruise past - not hammering. Of course we often loose out ...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
yeah its lame

that the guy said that to you, then again your ego is kinda lame too. Prove that you are a "hot" chick. Too many chicks out there *think* they are hot just because they ride a bike.

again, what the guy did was lame, agreed. But....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
:)

ok sorry my response was kinda harsh :) but imagine it reversed....

3 guys pass a girl riding, and the girl says "i cant believe i just got passed by 3 guys" and one of them says "no you just got passed by 3 hot guys". First off I don't want to know what those 3 were doing after the ride, but that's besides the point. Wouldn't that be lame?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I get "newbied" and "chicked" by my wife everytime we ride together and I don't mind one bit. I got her into biking this year and I'm proud to say she can ascend faster than me 80% of the time. I wouldn't consider myself even remotely fast, but it still stokes me none the less. Plus as mentioned above I have a nice view when she leads.

edit: Would I be getting "wifed" then? The male ego is a silly thing, it's nice that women will put up with it when it rears it's ugly head.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
I just don't think some guys think of how it sounds

I can't think of nearly as many ways women can call guys by a gender stereotype name. I ride with more guys so I don't take it personally, it is just irritating.
I would say that my husband calling me chick,sweetie, babe is one thing. If a guy at work, or on the trail, etc using a name like that on me, it does irk me.
I just think it is disrespectful

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.