Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building some wheels for my cross/commuter/29er/beater bike w/ sun rhynolite 700c rims. Im really wanting to run some narrow slicks on these rims. How narrow of a tire will work?
Just for kicks I tried throwing on a 28c, but the rim is too wide for the bead to seat. Any ideas?
Or
Does anyone make a slick MTB 29er tire? I cant find any
Thanks folks

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I think this was asked before for the exact same tires. I recall people posting rules of thumb to not get slicks narrower than the rim. I remember myself responding with my usual comments on wider slicks being better, as well as a cure to some pesky illnesses.

Is the rim too wide or the diameter too big for that 28c? The Rhynolite handles much different from other rims in tire mounting IME.

Google the Schwalbe Big Apples, available in 2.0 and 2.35 (biggest 2.35 you've ever see).
If you're into skinny slicks, there's loads of those. I liked the Conti SportContacts (35 or 38?) for speed. 28mm Panaracers work well for me in crits (on skinny rims though), and I've seen Bontrager Racelites in 30mm on a Trek commuter bike which looked very racily appealing.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Specialized makes the "Borough" in a 32 and 42. The 42's are on a couple of the Crosstrail models in the shop, and they look like a great gravel road / really bad pavement tire. I have put the 32's on a few bikes that were being used for commute/tour usage. They are a nice tire - go on straight, and seem to be wearing well on a couple of the commuter guys bikes that come in all the time. Of course, at a $40 MSRP they should last long! If you want more extreme protection, they also make their "Armadillo Elite" that has the belt under-tread. Their standard road model Nimbus seems to work well also, and you can't go wrong with Continental tires either. Good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
Panaracer paselas are pretty tough, light, and not very pricey. They make them in a bunch of widthes. I run the 35's on my commuter / touring bike. Great for pavement/gravel.

And, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure the 35s would be fine on the rhynos (I have Mavic t520's that are wide, but not rhyno-lite wide) 32's might be pushing it - my wife used some 1.25" tires on her 26" rhyno-lites and they worked but weren't ideal.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FlatFender said:
Im building some wheels for my cross/commuter/29er/beater bike w/ sun rhynolite 700c rims. Im really wanting to run some narrow slicks on these rims. How narrow of a tire will work?
Just for kicks I tried throwing on a 28c, but the rim is too wide for the bead to seat. Any ideas?
Or
Does anyone make a slick MTB 29er tire? I cant find any
Thanks folks
I would not use anything smaller than a 35 and 38mm would be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.