Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding an XC oriented AM bike (a Yeti 575) with 2.1 Maxxis High Rollers front and rear, on Mavix 717 rims. I'm riding two distinct styles of trail: The first is fairly technical singletrack. The second is downhill (no big jumps or drops, just very steep rocky, stairs and roots on narrow trails).

I'm thinking that I should use a wider front tyre purely for this second type of trail and was considering a 2.35 Maxxis Minion up front. But then I got to thinking- that's not a huge increase in what I'm riding already. So should I go even wider, to say 2.5? Is there any downside to running tires this wide if I'm not interested in cross country performance?

Lastly, there are two different types of Minion. What's the difference between the DHF and DHR? Is it as simple as one is front and the other is rear?

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
womble said:
I'm riding an XC oriented AM bike (a Yeti 575) with 2.1 Maxxis High Rollers front and rear, on Mavix 717 rims. I'm riding two distinct styles of trail: The first is fairly technical singletrack. The second is downhill (no big jumps or drops, just very steep rocky, stairs and roots on narrow trails).

I'm thinking that I should use a wider front tyre purely for this second type of trail and was considering a 2.35 Maxxis Minion up front. But then I got to thinking- that's not a huge increase in what I'm riding already. So should I go even wider, to say 2.5? Is there any downside to running tires this wide if I'm not interested in cross country performance?

Lastly, there are two different types of Minion. What's the difference between the DHF and DHR? Is it as simple as one is front and the other is rear?
The 2.1 High Roller is a pretty narrow tire...you could try just making the jump to 2.35 High Rollers. The HR in this size is on my short list of favorite tires. Never ridden Minions, but I think that most Maxxis 2.5s are wire-bead DH casing only, meaning they're heavy. You might try the Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3, which is pretty close in size to a Maxxis 2.5 and has a really similar profile to the HR. Check out Shiggy's website for exact measurements on most tires out there.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I'm not worried about how heavy the 2.5s are as everything will be downhill. I'm just wondering if there is a point of diminishing returns for tire width and the type of riding that I'll be using them for.

Maxxis seems to be a popular choice out here, so the High Rollers and Minions are the likely choices for 2.35.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
fat_weasel said:
The 2.1 High Roller is a pretty narrow tire...you could try just making the jump to 2.35 High Rollers. The HR in this size is on my short list of favorite tires. Never ridden Minions, but I think that most Maxxis 2.5s are wire-bead DH casing only, meaning they're heavy. You might try the Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3, which is pretty close in size to a Maxxis 2.5 and has a really similar profile to the HR. Check out Shiggy's website for exact measurements on most tires out there.
Yeah, my Barracuda (on WTB dual-duty FR rim) measures ~2.4", probably larger than most Maxxis 2.5s.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
womble said:

No downside if there is clearance, a bigger front tire can make a huge difference - better braking and cornering grip (less skipping, more a controlled slide when it does let go), and they tend to track better through ruts/rocks/roots.

Minion - pretty sure it's just DHF - front, DHR - rear, so you'd want a DHF. Since Maxxis run maybe 0.2" smaller than claimed, a 2.5 DHF wouldn't be crazy. On a 717 rim you should be fine with a 2.5 Minion, but remember a bigger tire can get a bit "floppy", and might need a bit more pressure than is ideal for traction, to stop it from rolling over.

You may want to think about getting a second wheelset eventually, more AM/FR oriented, which you could swap out for the downhill riding. Wider wheels do plant wide tires a bit better, especially for heavier riders.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm also riding a Yeti 575. I have the Enduro build which included Mavic xm317's w/ Maxxis Minion 2.35s. I'm up in NH where we have a lot of technical single track both up and down and I found that I really liked the traction of the Minions, but they aren't the fastest rolling tire out there and are somewhat heavy.
I swapped my wheelset for some Mavic CrossMax XL's and put on IRC Serac 2.1 UST tires. They roll awesome and are great on everything dry, but sucked on wet rocks and roots so I just swapped the tires back to the Minions w/ tubes and will eventually go tubeless with Stan's sealant.
If you aren't concerned with weight for your downhill runs then the Minion 2.35 may be a great tire for you.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
I agree on trying the 2.35 minions. They came on my 575 as well and I thought they were a bit heavy so I switched out to my 2.1 Bonty ACX's TR which I liked for my conditions. I went back to the minions for a comparison and stuck with them. Although a bit heavy they stick to roots & rocks better than any tire I've tried. Like Jeremy I'm planning on using some sealant and using them tubeless.

·
Si vales, valeo.
277 Posts
I just recently switched from 2.5 Big Earls to 2.5 Minion DHF (front) and 2.5 High Roller (rear), and what a difference! The Maxxis are great! If you are going to be doing downhill then I would say that you should go with the 2.5's as they are downhill specific and will hold up better.

(Note: the Big Earls were bigger than the Maxxis even though they were both listed as 2.5)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
womble said:

sorry if i am repetitive...i am too lazy to read all the posts:

* DHF = front , DHR = rear

* 2.35 Minion (or high roller) would be fine on those rims. they are not wide for 2.35s at all anyway. Weight will be about 870 grams or so. I have 2 for sale, barely used, for cheap if you want, along with some other tires....but i digress

* 2.5 or larger Minions get 2-ply casing and will be considerably heavier, ~1250 grams +/-, and more for 2.7. Plus, the rim is SO narrow that with 2-ply casing, the tire will shrivel up like a prune since the sidewalls will be so strong the the width will converge immediately to that of the inside width of the rims....therefore, the 2.5 Minions would look like 1.9 tires. So bottom line is that 2.5 or larger Maxxis would be a bad idea. If you want large volume great tires that dont weight too much, try the 2.4 Advantage...way bigger than the 2.35 Minions in actual size.

* Good tires that are a good mix of All Mountain / XC riding that have high volume that you could consider, that wont be restricted in size the way 2-plys will include: Maxxis Advantage 2.4s, Schwalbe Big Bettys, or Kenda Cortez 2.4s. Your rims are definitely XC rims but will probably be ok with these bigger tires so long as you dont run too low of psi

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've gone with the 2.35 Minion DHF on the front. I get to try it out tomorrow on some steep mud :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.