Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 6'3", fairly broad shouldered and ride a 580mm flat bar. Lately I've found that my wife's bike feels a lot more stable with its 640mm riser. This makes me think I need a wider bar on my bike.

What size bar are you rocking and why?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i run a 580 flat with cane creek ergo bar ends... i had some 25" wide risers and just didn't like em ... also made bar ends akward... and i HAVE TO HAVE bar ends... also they make tight single track a lot tighter...

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Thermo1 said:
I'm about 6'3", fairly broad shouldered and ride a 580mm flat bar. Lately I've found that my wife's bike feels a lot more stable with its 640mm riser. This makes me think I need a wider bar on my bike.

What size bar are you rocking and why?
Do yourself a favor and get some wider bars. I'm using 27" wide bars on my commuter, 27" bars on the trail bike and 28" bars on the DH bike and I would love to swap them all out for one of the new 30" to 31"+ wide models. IMO, the wider the better. It provides a more comfortable riding position and improves the handling of the bike. I have an old Giant with narrow bars (less than 600mm) and I can't even ride that bike now because feels so uncomfortable by comparison.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
This requires a Thesis :D

Depedns on allot of things really ya body makeup, type of bike, riding, personal pref, understanding!

I prefer wide, I'm wide in the shoulders so I can't change that , narrow bars just don't work for me neither do straight keyboards, my wrists hurt!

most of my bars are 28" above, Am above Ive settled on 29' Dh 29.5 - 30"

Trail 28", DJ 28"

Anything else I'll start @ 28 and work from there easier to cut down than add.

Wider bar also effectively allows you to run a shorter stem and still give good leverage and control on climbs! lots of benefits, trees and stuff ya adapt quickly or end up on the floor it dosen't take long to get used to! :thumbsup:

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I like wide bars as well, I'm using 640mm wide bars right now and they are narrower than what I have been using the last 8 years or so (I had been using 660mm on my XC bikes and 690mm on my FR bike). Its taken some getting used to, but they're OK. Once I can afford the Salsa CF bars I want, I'll be back to 660mm

I believe its a balance, too narrow and I feel constricted and the bike feels twitchy. Too wide and the bike steering feels slow and sluggish. Also, depending where you ride, spacing between trees can become a factor.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
31" for the single speed.
28" for the AM/trail rig.
As narrow as possible for the race rig. I'm not sure where these bars ended up, but the shifters, brake levers and ODI Lock-On grips just barely fit. I really like this set up when going fast.:thumbsup:

·
one chain, two sprockets
355 Posts
Wide and stiff

I'm 6'4" and run DMR Wingbars, 710mm wide, stiff 4130 MX-style construction. I try to ride mostly super-technical, bordering on Trials terrain and wanted to eliminate as much flex on the bike as possible. Let the suspension fork earn it's keep...

Tom P.
Line Black Office supplies Stationery Office instrument

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.