Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what effect does freezing weather, dewpoint, all that affect various suspensions? seemed to make my, understandably, a bit chattery. maybe 8 degrees windchill this morning?

being from mississippi and just getting back into XC after a long hiatus, i've never ridden long and hard in such temps.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It has regularly been around 0 degrees here the past week and I have ridden my FS bike a few times. I have air shocks and the effect of the cold weather is noticeable, but doesn't really prevent you from riding; just watch how big of jumps and drops you are taking. The cold air in the shocks is the same as the cold air in your tires; it is less pressurized due to the lower temp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have noticed that problems such as blown seals arise much more often in cold weather, but they would probably have been due for replacement anyway. The most common freezing problem our ride group has is freehubs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i've been riding, just less than i wanted...i just don't want to screw anything up...i'm not riding particularly harder, but i noticed the ride isn't as smooth.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
2007 Wotan was notorious for getting stuck in cold weather. Excessive amount of too thick lube or something. That was fixable by a regular service, and newer ones, including mine, do not seem to suffer. But I only tried it around freezing, not much below..

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeah,
open up the rebound/compression a bit, add a bit of pressure and ride.
Most shocks/forks I´ve used in cold weather are still harsher, regardless of the adjustments. No problem though, just suck it up or go slower.
My rear derailleur/cables/cassette freezes occasionally, probably some water in the lines or something.

If there´s snow things get smoother again, if you´re willing to allow the bike to drift a bit.
Some really gnarly trails seem even a bit easier to me, when they are covered in snow. I probably worry less about all the sharp rocks and slimy leaves...

If your local fellows put a lot of salt on the streets be sure to give your bike a little extra care, wipe the seals and lubricate them with something.

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
We have cold weather here and I'm running coil front and rear. The first effect you should notice is stiffening of the oil. This does not mean anything is messed up, you just need to have less rebound damping to compensate. If you have an air shock and pumped it up in warmer temps you will also have to check the pressure.

If you feel your fork getting stiffer and have compression adjustments you might also want to try opening them up a bit. A lot of air forks have their seals freeze around 20-30 degreese centigrade and the let out the air, but usually it will be fine once it warms up and you pump it back up again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.