Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a used fly with a romic shock. How well do these pedal, since the are essentially a single pivot? I have to do alot of climbing, and will probably be doing alot of hard trail riding on this (aside from my shuttling and DH), so pedaling effeciancy is pretty important to me. Should I look for some thing with a horst link?

thanks

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Pentacle said:
I'm looking at picking up a used fly with a romic shock. How well do these pedal, since the are essentially a single pivot? I have to do alot of climbing, and will probably be doing alot of hard trail riding on this (aside from my shuttling and DH), so pedaling effeciancy is pretty important to me. Should I look for some thing with a horst link?

thanks
if pedaling is important, get a FSR bike...Specialized demo 9, bighit, intense m1, iron horse sgs....all good pedaling bikes....

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Pentacle said:

thanks
The 5th element , Romic , Curnut , Push all make single pivots pedal fine.

The Fly is supposed to be a good long travel all-mtn bike. If the price is right I would go for it.

·
Banned
913 Posts
fly's pedal quite well,

Sitting down, the rear doesn't move, standing up, pedaling smoothly, the shock moves about 1/8". Don't get the romic though, get the Curnutt. That is the main reason to go with Foes. Mind, the above info is with the Curnutt. I'm not sure how well Romic's work.

The Curnutt is the stuff you want. Get the correct spring, and it is bottomless, supple, and pedals almost like hardtail... (A 42 pound hardtail).

you won't regret the Curnutt, and if you get the Romic, you'll eventually upgrade to the Curnutt.

Am I biased?????

Good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well............

I usually smoke 'em with a swatter as fast as I can! I hate those little maggots ridin' around!!

Sorry, had to do it!

Talk to Kevin over on teamsally.com

Beau

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
Master_Jako said:
if pedaling is important, get a FSR bike...Specialized demo 9, bighit, intense m1, iron horse sgs....all good pedaling bikes....
:rolleyes:

Horst link bikes don't pedal signficantly better than single pivots. They do brake better but don't get sucked into the hype.

The Fly has a good, low, pedally pivot location so I'd imagine it pedals decently though all I can do is drool over them, just can't justify spending that kind of coin on a bike.. If I had the money, though... :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
It pedals just fine. I am running an '04 w/ Curnutt Ti spring and 888R up front. I have put in 3 mile climbs on it w/ no problems. I was running a E13 DRS on it but switched to a E13 SRS w/38t.

If you are going to use it for trail riding just throw a Z150 on it or one of the Shermans. My buddy is running a Z150 on Fly that he set up for trail and is running a Boxxer on his shuttle/FR Fly. Both with Romics.

I considered a few other bikes before buying my Fly. I considered a Bullit, VP Free, and the RMX. I decided on the Fly for pedaling efficiency, rear shock(Curnutt Ti Spring), and Foes quality.

My opinions are based soley on the fact that I am running the Curnutt Ti but the Romic will do just fine.

Buy it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info guys, i think i'm gonna get it. I can't afford to upgrade to the curnutt right now, maybe down the road. should be a solid build with a z150, hadley hubs/sun singletracks, thomsons, e13 drs.....

also, i'll probably run saint cranks, anyone using these on a fly? any problems?

·
Registered
735 Posts
You won't be sorry. Sounds like a rad build. Is it used? If it is check the tunnel where the three welds come together at the end or back of the tunnel. The older models('03 and below) cracked and Foes warrantied them. Happened to a buddy. I checked with them before I bought my '04 and they told me that they had remedied the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.