Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm gonna bite and ask this question, since I know there was a group ride camping out up there and my own 'late-starting entourage' almost had to call 911 after 8.5 hours and 40-60 miles* of gut-wrenching climbs and heart-breaking navigation attempts, just so we could get off the moutain before complete darkness under a canopy of spruce and pine, which we were barely able to do.

[AZC wheezing deeply]

I just want to say two things:

1.) After Sunday's pre-ride, I feel very well prepared for the challenge of riding 55 miles of MARKED trails.

2.) Do not follow the directions posted on Epic Rides. At least not until Todd replaces them, which I understand he is doing.

* Both computers died in a logging road mud-bog around mile #40, long before we got off the mountain.

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
I assume that you are talking about a pre ride of the Epic Whiskey course?

If so, I am curious as to how/where you got lost and where the Epic directions were off? That is basically my backyard trail and I only notice two small problems with the directions for the 25 (the 50 is only slightly different from a directions perspective):

1. The singletrack that drops you on to Thumb Butte rd. is mislabeled - it should be 322 to 326 - not just 322.
2. The short hike-a-bike across from the overlook has been slightly rerouted in the last week or so - now it is rideable without herculean effort.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
AZClydesdale said:
Sweet pics, those downhill runs are worth the climb!
Did you guys book a room?
We'll be trying not to get kicked out of the comfort inn.....

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
djohnsonaz said:
I am pretty sure it was where we were supposed to drop down to Thumb Butte. We ended up at Hasayampa Country Club after riding in circles there for two hours. Thank you for the info.
Yup - that's what I figured. You ended up coming down 321 into the CC. The part through the golf course is poaching - bummer too because it is a fairly technical trail. Here is a map of the area with the correct route highlighted in purple:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
They're still all available on the sharlot hall website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.