Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Finally got my KM dialed in so I can start racing next year.
Got a touring/hauling bike all built up so I can get more stuff from the grocery store.
Built up a new 29er commuter (fixed)
Just finished a Pugsley.
'Twas a good year...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Started in January with a Fisher X-Cal, Ended December with a RIP 9 frame. Now I have a complete stable.

Did some racing in between, one XTERRA triathlon, and loads and loads of rides. I am looking forward to the honeymoon in '09 with the RIP.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Drank the kool-aid as well. Rode my first 29er in August, built an MCR9 by the end of the month. Built a jabberwocky before the end of November. Pretty sure I'll never buy/build another 26" bike again. The only thing I have against the big wheels is their effect on my wallet!

Tires, tried the rampages, small block 8s, and Bontrager jones xr. SB8 works well as a rear tire when it's dry and fast. Rampage works well as a front tire with about anything, and very well as a rear tire if the extra traction is needed. The jones XR handles front wheel duty fairly well in race situations when you need a fast rolling tire, not exactly confidence inspiring though.

Started racing this year. Hoping to do more next year and with better results!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
2008 for me:
*started to get back into biking more seriously
*did some repairs on my '95 Giant ATX to get it in better condition
*went on many local rides with my wife (nothing major- just paved forest preserve trails)
*road on the lakefront of chicago a decent amount
*did a lot of pulling my son in the trailer- he loves it!
*brought home a '09 GF Cobia 29er for a hell of a price on Thanksgiving

now i'm all set up for plenty of good rides and trips in 2009- many biking/camping trips to kettle morraine in WI and others.

nice to reflect on the year!
ez

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Para mi.

New, swoopy curved custom 29er.

Fruita - Moab - Gooseberry - Tahoe - Downieville trips. Lots of local riding.

Getting my gf on the bike and on singletrack.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Highs...
Won a sweet Niner frame
Got Engaged
Got Pregnant
Went back to the toughest job I'll ever love (Social Worker for people on State Benefits)
Discovered how awesome the On One Inbred, Rock Shox Tora, and Halo Rims is/are...
Got a Husky Puppy in April (maybe that's a low, it ate my cookies last night...)

Lows...
Tweaked my back... lost a bunch of riding due to it... Tall kids, please NEVER get fat...
Husky ate my cookies.
My Tacoma got recalled... (I miss that thing)
Fiance decided riding is not her thing.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
In Chronological order:
Bought Milk Money, loved it, haven't hardly changed a thing on it and no desire to.
Bought Rig/Lefty/Rohloff, not for me, sold it all.
Made it to Interbike for the first time, loads of fun.
Rode Gooseberry with Mikesee.
Had fifth child, seems to be working out nicely so far.
Bought Lunchbox, loved it, not changing a thing on it.
Bought RIP 9, sorta liked it, sold it.
Bought Behemoth with 120mm fork. Loving it, still in testing.

A great year with lots of local riding. No plans to rearrange the current group of bikes except I find the tandem thing fascinating a bit. It would allow me to put a kid on the back and go quite a bit faster than the trail a bike I think.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Great! I bought me first real mountain bike in the summer of '07 but 2008 was the year that I really got into riding. Over this summer I was putting in about 3 rides and 30-40miles a week and loving every minute of it.

Other highlights for me:
Tried SS starting in Feb but gave up two months later
Did my first real race in April at the Shasta Lemurian
Bought my first 29er in June (Ibex Section 29, great geared hardtail)
Rode all summer
Did my second race in September at the Whiskeytown Classic and shaved 50min off my first race time over the same distance and similar course
Rediscovered SS and realized how much 29" wheels and SS compliment each other
Did my first SS race in Oct
Bought an On One Inbred frame and moved all my parts over.
Still riding and loving SS

·
Bike to have fun.
153 Posts
Got into Mountain Biking in May of 2008 coming from a year of road bikes.
Started with a Redline D440, didn't realize that rigid bikes cant handle 5 foot jumps to relatively flat, and ate my first taco. haha. Sold that bike.
Got a KHS Solo One SE with Reba SL, and damn, I'm hooked!

2008 introduced me to my favorite hobby, mountain biking!

-Tires: WTB Exiwolf 2.3's

·
Registered
40 Posts
bought me first 29er, a $400 zion rigid single speed 5-08 absouletly loveing. Cannot believe I prefer this bike over my old school superlight

Did my first Ms 150 in 08

Did my first official mountain bike race entered expert class finished 22-35 riders race inspired me to build a geared race bike

Trail maintenace, many group rides, with local club,

Bought a Red line D660 frame, bonty race X TLR wheels with specialized captain tires saveing money to finish my race bike for the 09 season

Raced the punk Bike enduro finished top 10 on a downhill stage

·
Registered
19 Posts
Met my latest best friend at start of year and have ridden a couple of times each week all year. Really got me back into it. Finished the year with a new '08 Gary Fisher Hi Fi Carbon. sweet root beer float!

·
Registered
106 Posts
29er Thang Done Bitted Me

I was so happy with my 26" Superlight for about a year. Maybe a bit more.
Then I rode a guys 29er at the trailhead for a few minutes. Then a LBS held a test ride outing. I rode a couple or three 29ers and was very interested. Not hooked.
Since I have purchased a Ventana El Rey rode it for about 6 months and bought a Niner SIR, and about 6 weeks later bought a Jabberwocky frame and built it up rigid. Too stiff for an old man (sold the frame) so I just got my Mamasita frame and set itup 1x9 and now... with three 29ers in the garage, I find myself riding more, enjoying it more, and not too interested in what/when the next bike will be.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Got my Sultan in Jan 08, will end the year with my Sultan...and next year, plus the year after. Added some King Hubs/WB Fluid 110 w/ TA to the Sultan, PUSH'ed the shock - all goodness. Did 1000 (ok, 999.60 but who's tracking....) miles on dirt this year with the Sultan. Became a life long Turner fan.

Started my first XC racing series. I'm 12th out of 20 in the standings for my category, half way through the season. I continue to gain 2 spots each race. Not bad at all considering I did zero preparation or training. Next year - top 5. I have a mission....

Bought the Joe Friel and Dave Morris book - see above. Don't plan to shave my legs - don't think the competition could handle my increased competitiveness if I did that.

Discovered rigid forks are a ton of fun. Took my Monocog Flight off commuter duty and had a blast. Moved to a 22" Karate Monkey so the Flight can be gifted to a relative - spreading the love.

Discovered Midge bars. Combined with a good steel fork, frame and some voluptuous tires mounted on mikesee built Gordos - I'm a happy camper.

I've run the same front tire since April. Unheard of for me the past few years. I'm a member of AA - Ardent Admirers. I admit it, I'm an Ardent addict.

Next year - less time on MTBR. I've got scrollingitis in my right index finger, it affects my braking.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The year started out good lots of training and in good shape.
April hurt my leg, didnt ride until november.
Got married!
Ordered a Titus 29er in september, still waiting.
I9 wheels came in about 6 weeks, instead of 10.
Raced 2 cross races.
Going to order an Quiring 29er single speed soon.

So overall the year was good, just not enough riding. Hopefully 2009 is better in that department.

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
:yesnod: started 2008 on crutches-living on a boat-surfing-beach crusiers-in S Carolina.
Did the DragonsBack Va xxc race on my 1st gen Mt Tam-set up 1+9- and ihad to bail.
Realized i was soft from the south style-missed the Mts of Wv and Va!
Also working in other folks shops was headbuttin' not headbangin' rocknroll.
Moved back to Wv and opened a small shop with almost no $$$.
Struggle,yes-winter came early.Will have 2nd job this winter.
Got a Vassago Bandersnatch-2+8-friction thumbies.
Fell in love with bikes completly again-got my groove back!
Found that Rampages are the best allround tire for 29's here-and 2.4 MT.Kings
rule in slush and slop.
I cant imagine riding anything butta ridgid steel 29er in these hills-ever again!
I found my place,my people,my peace...
Namaste'
Bz

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I had a decent year.

The good:
I raced in all the Ontario Cup races - all in open SS category
I raced in two 8 HOUR races (solo, singlespeed, rigid)
I raced on my Superfly (with gears) in our very last race in November. It was a brutal race (just under 3 hours for the winners, 3:15 for me) in wet, heavy snow, but the Superfly was super. :)

The bad:
Our summer sucked. We had lots of rain so about half the races had some rain or muddy conditions to deal with. Twice I ended up with a cold.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
started out the year with a fairly stock monocog 29er. the monocog slowly morphed into a somewhat blingy jabberwocky. :D i also picked up a cobia that is now a 1 x 9. between the two i am very happy. i have been averaging 2 rides a week since april, and i have put more miles on the bike that i have in the last few years combined. i met a cool group of guys that i now ride with more often than not. this is also my first winter riding. i am loving it. it has been a very good year as far as riding goes.

i still have a job which is also nice.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.