Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jenson has this frame for $150 bucks. I am still trying to figure out the best way to go SS, and liked that this was a SS frame. I don't really "urban" though or do any big jumps. I want a solid trail bike that will last, but I don't want a boat either. Is this a good frame to build off?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Searches for this frame tend to take me to the free-ride section. I take it that this would not be a good general trail frame?

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I've not touched this frame personally, but I did give it two seconds' worth of thought when I wanted to build up my first singlespeed. The 7lb. frame weight immediately told me, 'not on your life'. It is a badass looking frame, but I felt it was completely overbuilt for how I would ride on the trails.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I tried something similar...

and built my first SS with the Azonic DS1. It's an aluminum dirt jumper/dual slalom frame that has horizontal dropouts to allow SS chain tensioning. The problem that I had was the frame (and the Steelhead is probably the same) is designed for a 5-6" travel fork. I like my SS rigid so I found a Planet X Kniffen fork that is 435mm axel to crown (about like a 4" fork) but the geometry was still off. The BB was really low and I found myself striking pedals quite often. I rode it about 6 months before I got my VCW and have a proper XC geometry SS. I still have the Azonic and intend to build it the way it was inteneded...Rock Shox Pike, big tires, and big brakes. What I'm trying to say, is I think you'll be happier if you save a few more pennies and get something like a Surly 1X1 or the Zion EBB at Jenson.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First priority is getting the wife to give in. I am working on getting permission to apply for financing at the LBS, but she is pretty stubborn on that. So, I am thinking I can work through a part here and there.

As to your real question, I would prefer horizontal drops, but not totally against the tensioner idea.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
24601 said:
First priority is getting the wife to give in.
I can so relate it's not even funny. I've been driving a few really good people (you know who you are) completely nuts over the past few days regarding a bike, only to have wifey really bang it into my head last night that this is simply not a good time to add a new bike to the collection. Not when I've amassed 4 bikes in 10 months.

Good luck in this endeavor.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish have 4 was my problem. I have my el cheap-o fixie commuter and my Trek 4300. The 4300 fork sucks beyond sucking, and the drivetrain is showing wear in less than 1 year and dropping the chain ALL THE FREAKING TIME! My wife can't understand why I want a new bike in less than a year, but she also doesn't understand what it is like to ride this thing clanging all over the trail.

If she goes for the LBS option, the Trek Fuel 70 is coming home and the SS will have to wait. Otherwise I am sneaking in parts.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Dude, check your rear derailleur hanger. I suffered the same on my Fisher (basically an equivalent to your Trek) and found that the bent hanger was causing the dropped chains and crap shifting. New hanger from http://derailleurhanger.com/ and I've not dropped a chain since.

Bike's still a piece of crap, don't get me wrong.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am planning on taking it the LBS for a check over anyway, still under the 1 year free maint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts