Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, have two 950 xtr long cage rear derailleurs. Shop owner/mechanic says they need rebuilds and that Shimano sells the springs. Questions....

1. What other parts are needed? I imagine I should do the pulleys but is there anything else? Are there complete rebuild kits
    How tough of a job is this? I love my shop, but since he's also the owner he has to divide his time. I would give him an A for effort B for ability. I know he's never done this job before. Is this a supertricky job?
Maybe I'l just have him do one. I can get a new XT rear der. at a decent price. Anybody who has used both would like to compare?

TIA and have a great day..

jv

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jvossman said:
Howdy, have two 950 xtr long cage rear derailleurs. Shop owner/mechanic says they need rebuilds and that Shimano sells the springs. Questions....

1. What other parts are needed? I imagine I should do the pulleys but is there anything else? Are there complete rebuild kits
    How tough of a job is this? I love my shop, but since he's also the owner he has to divide his time. I would give him an A for effort B for ability. I know he's never done this job before. Is this a supertricky job?
Maybe I'l just have him do one. I can get a new XT rear der. at a decent price. Anybody who has used both would like to compare?

TIA and have a great day..

jv
Check the pivots. If they are sloppy, it is not worth fixing the old RDs. Just will not shift as well as new.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jvossman said:
uhh shiggy, without sounding like a dork, what do you mean by pivots?
The places where the part with "XTR" on it connects to the other parts.

You are going to have to install the RD, shift to a middle cog and move the bottom of the cage from side to side. The more slop, the worse the shifting.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jvossman said:
Thanks Shiggy you rule. I hear you Pigsah. But for the bucks I would be looking at an XT.....
I have never thought there was enough difference between XT and XTR to justify the price gap. I every way except weight, even SLX works as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.