Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up the new Scale 29er Carbon, probably in the HMF carbon version (i.e. the cheaper one); I'm currently torn between that one and the Cannondale Flash.

I'm wondering about the strength and impact resistance of the Scale bikes. They're obviously uber-light race machines, and I wouldn't expect them to take big hits or frequent crashes, which is fine by me as that's not the kind of riding I do. But, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their overall toughness; I just don't want to have to worry any time I wash out in a corner or get a little too friendly with a tree. Anyone?

(I notice that the Cannondale is made using "BallisTec" carbon, which they claim is used in armored military vehicles and can withstand direct hammer blows. Maybe that's all marketing but I do find it comforting!)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think both bikes have a great reputation. Lots of people on this and other forums own them and I don't see many/any threads about them cracking. I do see lots of broken Rocky Mountains and Orbeas.
Any bike material can break. Maybe go with whoever has the best warranty?

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
I think you'll be fine.

Plus that Scale 29er is a KICKASS bike (granted I've been riding the HMX version, but still a great bike).

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Re: warranty, Cannondale does lifetime while Scott does 5 years. Realistically, I think 5 years is fine; if it breaks after 5 years I don't think I'd call it "defective workmanship" anyway.

Something I DO wonder about is warranty service and crash replacement. I know my LBS will take care of me, but does anyone have comments on the speed and ease with which Scott (or Cannondale) will fill warranty claims? What about crash replacement, what kind of discount do they give on a new frame?

Finally Laxman, any feedback on the ride of the Scale 29er would be great. FWIW, I'd be upgrading most of the parts on the HMF version (XO group, lighter wheels etc.); I was looking for more of a $3500-level pricepoint bike/build, and frankly I'm surprised Scott didn't offer additional options beyond the uber-expensive and the $2400 entry-level.

A question I have about the HMX: do you think the "special" Ritchey SDS seatpost makes much difference to the ride quality? HMF of course comes with an alloy post, not sure if I could get that upgraded to the SDS carbon version....

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
DrewBird said:
Thanks for the info. Re: warranty, Cannondale does lifetime while Scott does 5 years. Realistically, I think 5 years is fine; if it breaks after 5 years I don't think I'd call it "defective workmanship" anyway.

Something I DO wonder about is warranty service and crash replacement. I know my LBS will take care of me, but does anyone have comments on the speed and ease with which Scott (or Cannondale) will fill warranty claims? What about crash replacement, what kind of discount do they give on a new frame?

Finally Laxman, any feedback on the ride of the Scale 29er would be great. FWIW, I'd be upgrading most of the parts on the HMF version (XO group, lighter wheels etc.); I was looking for more of a $3500-level pricepoint bike/build, and frankly I'm surprised Scott didn't offer additional options beyond the uber-expensive and the $2400 entry-level.

A question I have about the HMX: do you think the "special" Ritchey SDS seatpost makes much difference to the ride quality? HMF of course comes with an alloy post, not sure if I could get that upgraded to the SDS carbon version....
I wouldn't exactly call a $2400 carbon hardtail "entry level."

As far as ride quality, Scott engineers most of the compliance into the frame itself (this is SDS), rather than relying on seatpost flex. So I don't think it'll be a big deal.

If you plan on upgrading all these parts, why not just build up a frame?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair enough, maybe not "entry level," but it's a big jump from the $2400 Pro to the $6000+ HMX version.

As for complete bike vs. frame, I currently have an older frame that I've progressively upgraded with some nice bits: wheels/tires, cockpit, saddle etc. My LBS is willing to keep what they take off the Scott and give me credit toward the new XO stuff, so I'd really just pay to upgrade shifters/drivetrain to XO 2x10. Swap my nice wheels etc. from the current ride and I should get a nice race rig, but keep my old bike rideable as a beater or endurance racer (older Racer X 29er, great ride but pretty heavy).

To be honest, the frameset option doesn't seem like much of a deal anyway: $1900 (I think) for the HMX frame, no fork. By the time you put a fork on you're up around the $2400 that they want for the complete HMF bike. I'm willing to accept the extra 100g in the lower-mod frame if they throw in the whole rest of the bike as compensation!

Laxman, you don't happen to know complete bike weight for the "Pro" $2400 build option on this bike, do you?

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
DrewBird said:
Fair enough, maybe not "entry level," but it's a big jump from the $2400 Pro to the $6000+ HMX version.

As for complete bike vs. frame, I currently have an older frame that I've progressively upgraded with some nice bits: wheels/tires, cockpit, saddle etc. My LBS is willing to keep what they take off the Scott and give me credit toward the new XO stuff, so I'd really just pay to upgrade shifters/drivetrain to XO 2x10. Swap my nice wheels etc. from the current ride and I should get a nice race rig, but keep my old bike rideable as a beater or endurance racer (older Racer X 29er, great ride but pretty heavy).

To be honest, the frameset option doesn't seem like much of a deal anyway: $1900 (I think) for the HMX frame, no fork. By the time you put a fork on you're up around the $2400 that they want for the complete HMF bike. I'm willing to accept the extra 100g in the lower-mod frame if they throw in the whole rest of the bike as compensation!

Laxman, you don't happen to know complete bike weight for the "Pro" $2400 build option on this bike, do you?
Sub 24 lbs.

·
Primative Screwhead
321 Posts
This'll sound like BS, but...

DrewBird said:
I'm looking at picking up the new Scale 29er Carbon, probably in the HMF carbon version (i.e. the cheaper one); I'm currently torn between that one and the Cannondale Flash.

I'm wondering about the strength and impact resistance of the Scale bikes. They're obviously uber-light race machines, and I wouldn't expect them to take big hits or frequent crashes, which is fine by me as that's not the kind of riding I do. But, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on their overall toughness; I just don't want to have to worry any time I wash out in a corner or get a little too friendly with a tree. Anyone?

(I notice that the Cannondale is made using "BallisTec" carbon, which they claim is used in armored military vehicles and can withstand direct hammer blows. Maybe that's all marketing but I do find it comforting!)
...I've had rocks break in half over the down tube whilst descending. Quick check: not a scratch.

I've ridden my '08 Scale 30, since Oct 07, 3-6 times a week 12 months of the year. Couple of stage races, bunch of enduros, countless trail rides and training, commuting, etc. 1290gr in XL, I'm 82kgs. it hasn't missed a beat. Racing it tomorrow, in fact.

The local shop warrantied one for cosmetic blemishes...and decided to try and destroy it to see how tough they really are. Seat post clamp was wound as tight as it would go, the tube just pinched together and then back out again. Top tube in vice: squished together, then back. Hammer blows just bounced off the frame. I think they eventually managed to total it with a saw, or something.

Now, I hear Peter Denk has designed the Flash...sounds like a win/win choice for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Spark 35 in march 2010 (this is the model with the carbon main frame and the aluminum swing arm)
After 4 months/ 1800km it cracked on a pivot point on the main frame. Scott replaced the main frame, no questions asked. 3 weeks later my swing arm cracks and they replaced that too.
Last week I had my first crash on the bike and the head tube cracked. It was't a hard fall and it surprised me that the frame had a crack, I'm still waiting to hear from Scott.

I've been cycling 7 years with Scott bikes and never had any trouble with broken frames. I weight 93kg/205lbs and I don't do jumps or drop offs ext.

My question is : are the carbon frames weaker than Aluminium or did I just had bad luck?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Crashed my Scale's drivetrain seat stay off a rock during a 3 day stage race. Not a huge crack as I fnished the race and didn't notice until after. My LBS ( a Scott dealer) arranged a crash replacement which took about 2 weeks. Plan on bringing my new Scale to the same race this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts