Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all.

I'm trying to get my grimy little hands on an Azonic Recoil. My problem is, I'm not the strongest guy on earth and it weighs close to 50 pounds, according to the owner.

So, I have a few ideas:

- The rear tire is a 2.5 inch Kenda Nevegal, and the front is a 2.7 inch Intense. Could I save any weight by switching to Panaracer Fire FR 2.4"s?
- Stock shock is a Romic. Would switching to a Ti spring help?
- Would it make the bike ride like sh!t to sell the 888 on there now and get a Domain or something?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Getting back into biking..... eh.... bit of an idiot curve. :D

Anyway, yeah, this bike would to be used for freeride and urban-ish stuff. I know, not its intended use, but whatever.

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
50lbs!!!! no bike should weigh that!!!!

My friends amazing Ironhorse Sunday is as much machine as you'd ever need and it barely weighs 40lbs. My SS weighs 36, and is very burly! I would never buy a bike that weighs that much, i'm pretty sure alot of the weight there would be inherently in the frame.(although i'm not familiar with the frame) Surely components couldn't make up a 10lbs difference, without just taking them off!!!

For the record, Domains are pretty heavy. I'm not sure how heavy 888's are, but i'm not convinced thats going to make a huge difference. Getting a 36 would make a huge difference, a Totem would still be a decent weight saving.

But i personally think the frame sounds very heavy. And unless doing pure DH and being very strong, i certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of a 50lbs bike. For FR, i'd be looking at getting a mid/late 30lbs rig. There are plenty about.

In summary, i'd leave it alone. Good luck finding something or getting that weight down!!!

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
my glory weighs 40lbs with some change. 50lbs is crazy..

change out the rolling weight first. like wheels, tires, tubes, cranks, cassette.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Both of those tires are very heavy (assuming the Nev is wire bead). My son runs 2.7 Intense and they are 1800 grams each! I have Prowler MX 2.5 and Timberwolve 2.7 (folding) both of which weigh under 1000 grams, there is 4-5 pounds right there.

·
dirt visionary
6,520 Posts
My DHR weighs 45lbs but I really don't care as it rips. I have another buddy with a banshee that weighs 50lbs and he doesn't mind either. Its just added momentum.

Anyways without knowing a full parts spec we can't help alot. You could just have alot of parts which are all on the heavy side which would make it very hard to drop much weight without replacing alot of componets.

·
Registered
947 Posts
dowst said:
Those Intense tires are wicked heavy, but you won't save much more than a couple of pounds switching to something else.

To be honest I'd look for something else.
When I got my Kona stinky 02-03 era it had a 3inch front tire I forgot the brand.

I changed the tire and wheel and dropped 8 lbs.

It went from 48-->32# when I was done with it.

·
For The Win
454 Posts
50 pounds? Sounds like too much bike if you're not going to use it for some serious DH, which you're not, especially since I've seen the bike he's coming from:D ('03 Enduro Comp)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you switched to some 2.35's that weigh in around 800 grams each (decent weight and durability) you can cut about at least a pound off each wheel, probably a pound and a half. Go tubeless and you'll save another small chunk. Get some lighter weight wheels and you'll save a pound off each one... get xt cranks since they're a nice balance between strength and light weight. Take the 888 off and get a lighter fork, A lyric solo air is going to be *****!n on that bike... maybe a totem solo air. Then you've got a Romic which weighs a lot. Switch to a dhx air.

So yeah, you'll be able to get that bike pretty light, the question is how much money do you want to spend to get it there? I'd pass on this deal personally, or just suck it up and ride the bike. Heck you'll probably drop 5- 10 pounds off your body after riding that thing around enough, then your problem is solved.

·
Registered
659 Posts
before anyone answers they should read your other question

rabidweasel999 said:
Hey, all.

I'm trying to get my grimy little hands on an Azonic Recoil. My problem is, I'm not the strongest guy on earth and it weighs close to 50 pounds, according to the owner.

So, I have a few ideas:

- The rear tire is a 2.5 inch Kenda Nevegal, and the front is a 2.7 inch Intense. Could I save any weight by switching to Panaracer Fire FR 2.4"s?
- Stock shock is a Romic. Would switching to a Ti spring help?
- Would it make the bike ride like sh!t to sell the 888 on there now and get a Domain or something?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Getting back into biking..... eh.... bit of an idiot curve. :D

Anyway, yeah, this bike would to be used for freeride and urban-ish stuff. I know, not its intended use, but whatever.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=426659&highlight=azonic+recoil

If you are trying to trim weight from a DH bike to make it lighter and a better DOWNHILLER that is fine.

If you are trying to trim weight from a DH bike to make it a lighter AM/do everything bike, well, I don't think you will have much luck with that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sometimes if you don't have the money to buy a lighter bike you have to take what you can get. My first big bike was a 53 lb Bighit. One reason it was so heavy is that it went through more **** than any bike should have to go through. But it was also my trail bike for a year before I could buy a lighter bike.

So that bike won't be ideal at all. And if you could find something else within your budget you should do that. But if you plan on buying upgrades already you probably have the money for something that would suit your riding style a little better.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
if you can't live with your 50 lb bike, don't bother trying to drop the weight. dropping 10 lbs will cost more than a new 40 lb complete bike.

dropping even 5 lbs will cost you a fortune, and you're left with a 45lb whale.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ everybody, mostly:

I know it's way too much bike for me but I really like it.

@ StinkyFTW: Nice tryyyy... ;)

@ hisdudeness: Tires are gonna be first.

I don't care if it's practical, and I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying that, but I just.... don't care!

The Enduro wasn't the best bike for what I did either.

So, if those of you who'd like to lecture me further on the "wrong bike" thing could kindly refrain from doing so. :)

Are the Panaracers a good choice for tires? I run Fire XC Pros on my Enduro and love them. Plus, the red tires on that bike would look sick! :D

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
rabidweasel999 said:
Are the Panaracers a good choice for tires? I run Fire XC Pros on my Enduro and love them. Plus, the red tires on that bike would look sick! :D
panaracer fires suck. even at 50 psi, they have no lateral support. sounds like you love crappy tires.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Honestly, unless you're buying the bike for $5.00 I wouldn't advise getting it. It sounds like you're just too hung up on how a particular frame looks. But really though, Azonic makes garbage. They've got a notorious problem of having the headtubes coming "pre-ovalized" from the factory, on some frames you don't even need a headset press to get the headset in. Those poor tolerances only creat headaches when you ovalize the top tube and turn your money pit of a bike into something that should be thrown into a dumpster. Maybe Azonic has improved their quality, but seeing as how the frame is just a random asian welded dh frame that Azonic buys and puts their stickers on I wouldn't bet on it.

To get the bike down to 40 pounds or less you're probably going to have to invest more than what you bought the bike for, a wise man would tell you that from a cost benefit analysis point of view that you are making a bad choice. No matter how much cash you throw at your problem you still aren't going to get around the fact that the frame is mucho heavy.

Seriously dude, save your cash and go for something better... not just lighter or more bling, but better QUALITY outright. If you buy [email protected], you're going to ride [email protected], and you're always going to complain about your [email protected] bike. Upgrading parts wont solve your problem if the frame sucks. It really doesn't matter what kind of deal you can get for the bike if the frame is completely worthless.

But then again you might be more concerned with how you're going to look as you hang out at the trailhead, and you really don't care about having a well built quality machine. In that case, sure throw all of your money at the azonic and good luck spending the next $2,500 to $3,000 on upgrading and attempting to lighten up your bike only to realize 6 months later that its costing you a lot, the bike still isn't light, and you still aren't getting hot chicks.

·
Registered
784 Posts
misctwo said:
if you can't live with your 50 lb bike, don't bother trying to drop the weight. dropping 10 lbs will cost more than a new 40 lb complete bike.

dropping even 5 lbs will cost you a fortune, and you're left with a 45lb whale.
Very True! The savings that you got from settling with that 50 lbs monster would be negated by the light expensive parts that you plan to slap on. Just keep it as is and use it for what it's worth or save some more and just get a better / lighter / more current bike design with newer / lighter components.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
his dudeness said:
Honestly, unless you're buying the bike for $5.00 I wouldn't advise getting it. It sounds like you're just too hung up on how a particular frame looks. But really though, Azonic makes garbage. They've got a notorious problem of having the headtubes coming "pre-ovalized" from the factory, on some frames you don't even need a headset press to get the headset in. Those poor tolerances only creat headaches when you ovalize the top tube and turn your money pit of a bike into something that should be thrown into a dumpster. Maybe Azonic has improved their quality, but seeing as how the frame is just a random asian welded dh frame that Azonic buys and puts their stickers on I wouldn't bet on it.
Funnily enough, I'm not "hung up" on it. I've ridden it and love how it rides and soaks bumps up. I have an extra computer, so what the hell? Might as well trade.

his dudeness said:
To get the bike down to 40 pounds or less you're probably going to have to invest more than what you bought the bike for, a wise man would tell you that from a cost benefit analysis point of view that you are making a bad choice. No matter how much cash you throw at your problem you still aren't going to get around the fact that the frame is mucho heavy.

Seriously dude, save your cash and go for something better... not just lighter or more bling, but better QUALITY outright. If you buy [email protected], you're going to ride [email protected], and you're always going to complain about your [email protected] bike. Upgrading parts wont solve your problem if the frame sucks. It really doesn't matter what kind of deal you can get for the bike if the frame is completely worthless.
The quality on the bike is fine, AFAIK. There's really nothing wrong with the frame. I'm not into bling.

his dudeness said:
But then again you might be more concerned with how you're going to look as you hang out at the trailhead,
Wrong.

his dudeness said:
and you really don't care about having a well built quality machine. In that case, sure throw all of your money at the azonic and good luck spending the next $2,500 to $3,000 on upgrading and attempting to lighten up your bike only to realize 6 months later that its costing you a lot, the bike still isn't light, and you still aren't getting hot chicks.
Um... WTF? :p If I wanted a blinged out bike I would have bought a Dual Shock Technology™ Huffy. I want a bike that's durable, performs well, and weight is nice to keep down, but it's not my highest priority.

Anyway, yeah, You're totally wrong.

My attitude with this thread isn't "ZOMG KAPOW KEWL BIKE NOW MAKE IT LIGHTER!". It's more like "This bike is really nice and I like how it rides. Are there easy ways to make it lighter? If not, whatever, I don't mind all that much.

So, to all of you about to post talking about how I'm a stupid teenager about to drop big bucks on a bike because it's pretty..... please don't.

Do any of you have any actual advice?

·
For The Win
454 Posts
his dudeness said:

But then again you might be more concerned with how you're going to look as you hang out at the trailhead, and you really don't care about having a well built quality machine. In that case, sure throw all of your money at the azonic and good luck spending the next $2,500 to $3,000 on upgrading and attempting to lighten up your bike only to realize 6 months later that its costing you a lot, the bike still isn't light, and you still aren't getting hot chicks.
That was quite the post:thumbsup: and I have to say, I agree with everything you said, I've ridden the bike and it seemed nice enough, but certainly not worth buying.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Losing Weight

My dad always told me the cheapest way to lighten your ride was to eat less. How much do you weigh? I'm not trying to be mean, either. Losing 5 pounds off your belly makes a huge difference riding. If you don't have any weight to lose, my apologies. But if you've got a bunch of beer or burrito weight and it's getting in the way of riding, you should consider not super sizing.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.