Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Couldent figure out where to put this.

I was selling a yakuza hardtail (in my sig) and I got contacted about a trade for a 2005 Norco Atomick VPS. now the guy is 300 miles away. I know I dont have time to drive there. he says he's had bad experiences with via-mail trades before. so I've been talking to him for about a week, he really wanted to meet up, but I cant drive the distance. he was wondering if I could send him my frame first? I really highly doubt this guy is a scammer. would this be a good idea, to send him my frame first, or is there another safer method to doing this.

thanks much.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
If he brought up the idea of the trade, he should be mailing you the frame first. The best scammers are the ones that you think aren't scammers.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
'Con' - (def) an abuse of confidence, a con(fidence) trick.

Maybe I'm just too cycnical, but ask him to mail his frame and see what he says. If he'd expect you to send your frame to him, how could he refuse?
Personally, I just wouldn't do it. If you both want the frame that the other has, then you can arrange to meet in the middle, or somewhere convenient to both.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Echoing other comments, it's just not worth the risk. As Tacomala mentions, ask him to meet halfway if you really want to try and organise a deal. ;)

It might be worth supporting MTBR and posting an advertisement here too. :thumbsup:

Dave.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try a bike shop. See if they'll help you out. As in have him mail his frame to a bike shop locally to you, and vice versa. Then, when both shops have the frames, you can settle from there. Food for thought?

-Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.