Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using clipless on and off for years. My latest M520s are about two years old and are well-used on our rocky AZ trails.

Recently, within the last week, I've noticed the pedals are increasingly hard to clip into. Release is still the same. Shoes/cleats are same. No noticeable damage on cleats or pedals.

Sign the pedals are dying? Or something else? Thanks.
d

·
Rockflopper
118 Posts
I had the opposite problem. No matter how much I increased the tension on the pedals I came unclipped way too easily. I ended up replacing the cleats and problem solved.

Now my problem is I can't decrease the tension anymore because the socket head screw for the pedal got stripped out somehow.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Blatant said:
Been using clipless on and off for years. My latest M520s are about two years old and are well-used on our rocky AZ trails.

Recently, within the last week, I've noticed the pedals are increasingly hard to clip into. Release is still the same. Shoes/cleats are same. No noticeable damage on cleats or pedals.

Sign the pedals are dying? Or something else? Thanks.
d
Likely that the cleats are worn out. With Shimanos worn cleats usually are harder to release. With most other brands worn cleats release too easily.

The wear is not apparent unless you compare them to new cleats. Two years is a long time for cleats, especially in rocky areas.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The first moment that my cleats come off the pedal without effort from me means it's a sign that there is excess wear. I usually have my Shimano 540 pedals setting at 9 clicks from full-loose. So far, it seems like once per year is a good rate at which to change them out. I can always see the wear of the cleats when compared to new cleats.

Last year, while riding Demo Forest up in Santa Cruz, I was on a technical descent and I was a bit behind the saddle. My left cleat came off and my saddle slammed into my twig and berries. Had to take a moment to catch my breathe. Can't believe, still to this day, I somehow got control of the bike to pull over. Lesson learned...the hard way.

·
No Clue Crew
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I said, the release doesn't seem to have changed. It's only the entry that's more difficult. Makes sense, though, that it's all four entry points (two per pedal); so the cleats are the likely culprit. I'll swap 'em out and see. Thanks.
d

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Rick Moranis said:
I had the opposite problem. No matter how much I increased the tension on the pedals I came unclipped way too easily. I ended up replacing the cleats and problem solved.

Now my problem is I can't decrease the tension anymore because the socket head screw for the pedal got stripped out somehow.
Thanks. I have been having the same problem with mine. going to try swapping the cleats to some new ones this weekend!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.