Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a chance on getting a 29" Spec Camber for $800 sans wheels. (Still waiting on if it's the comp version or not).

Was looking at wheelbuilder, and they have ISO, center lock, straight pull center lock, yadda yadda.

How do you know what to pick?

John

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ask the dude at rei.
The guy at REI said they don't carry I9 or Chris King, but he'd cut me a deal on some Shimano Deore hubs laced to some WTB hoops...$140 for the set. Do you think they will last the season on my downhill bike?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John you are looking for a wheel set not a wheel build.
I've had good luck with wheelbuilder making wheel sets for my road bike, thought I'd give them a try for a mountain set.

So...can anyone answer the question I actually asked, rather than taking sideways swipes at REI from a different thread?

John

·
Registered
557 Posts
Call Dave Thomas, can't go wrong there. A good set of wheels will cost you nearly as much as you paid for the bike.

If you are looking for stock wheels, I still have the wheels I took of my Camber when I bought it new. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I plan to if it comes to me needing to do that, I thought someone here could explain the difference. I'll just ask on stackexchange, thanks though.

John
Try posting your question to the 'wheel and tire' forum.
Plenty of super knowledgeable folks there. Less smart a$$es too:)

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I've had good luck with wheelbuilder making wheel sets for my road bike, thought I'd give them a try for a mountain set.

So...can anyone answer the question I actually asked, rather than taking sideways swipes at REI from a different thread?

John
Check out DNA. The one in Mesa. The one in Scottsdales is run by a bunch of fanboies.

·
bland
1,294 Posts
The guy at REI said they don't carry I9 or Chris King, but he'd cut me a deal on some Shimano Deore hubs laced to some WTB hoops...$140 for the set. Do you think they will last the season on my downhill bike?
36 or 32 hole? That makes all the difference.

·
bland
1,294 Posts

John
Oh you're a rodie. It all makes sense now. We all can answer the question you asked, and so can you. You're using the internet wrong.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reverse snobbery does not become you, sir. :)

I raced mtn originally, but that was 1986 in Gunnison Colorado. I still have the jersey, somewhere (Although considering I was 5" shorter and 60ish lbs lighter, doubt it still fits). I just haven't been on a mountain bike other than an old Fuji Tahoe I picked up for barnburner last year in 20 years.

I just wanted to know what I'm looking at, and I figured the communal spirit I hear so much about would be helpful. But y'all are snarkier than triathletes, and that's saying something.

John

·
bland
1,294 Posts
Reverse snobbery does not become you, sir. :)

I raced mtn originally, but that was 1986 in Gunnison Colorado. I still have the jersey, somewhere (Although considering I was 5" shorter and 60ish lbs lighter, doubt it still fits). I just haven't been on a mountain bike other than an old Fuji Tahoe I picked up for barnburner last year in 20 years.

I just wanted to know what I'm looking at, and I figured the communal spirit I hear so much about would be helpful. But y'all are snarkier than triathletes, and that's saying something.

John
You have great diction and you appear to pride yourself on your intelligence. Are you smart enough to use google? Don't get pissy when you are too lazy to do your own research and ask an unanswerable question and get some flack for expecting a prompt reply.

I'll actually answer your original question now.

Go to a bike shop with the frame. Then they can let you know what wheels you need. You're also going to need some brake parts that are specific to your bike. Because your bike is used and missing a wheel set and you don't know what year the model is nobody on the internet can tell you what hub you need without more information. What is the rear spacing on the bike? What are the diameters of the axles? What size brake adapters are on the bike?

Was I actually just helpful?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go to a bike shop with the frame. Then they can let you know what wheels you need. You're also going to need some brake parts that are specific to your bike. Because your bike is used and missing a wheel set and you don't know what year the model is nobody on the internet can tell you what hub you need without more information. What is the rear spacing on the bike? What are the diameters of the axles? What size brake adapters are on the bike?

Was I actually just helpful?
Somewhat, but not really. The bike in question is in another state. The person that I am dealing with is a firefighter in the middle of his 24 hour shift, so cannot get the full details until he is home. All he could tell me what that he bought it last year, and it is the camber 29 in the red/black paint scheme which suggests the 9 speed model. He also thought it was the mid level model, which would be the 10 speed, so I'm waiting on confirmation.

I knew I would need wheels, so I went to wheelbuilder and started going through options to see what a new build wheelset might cost me, and was confused by what some of the options meant. After some further reading, I have found a few details. However, all I was after was some general "X means this, Y means that, this is what you need to find out to make that information relevant" kind of an answer.

I also often ask questions while I'm doing research so that I can corroborate what I find, because internet sources are not always 100% up to date and/or reliable.

However, a couple members took the high road and actually PM'd me with useful information.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts