Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a front brake that's orange (from a kona) and would like it to be either black or silver. I dunno if this has been done or asked before but here it goes.

What can I do to remove the color from a hayes caliper? I know that the lever bodies don't like brake fluid very much but I have no idea how the calipers react to it? I have one black brake and one orange brake. I'd like to have them match more than orange if possible. I figured stripping the paint or whatever it is that hayes puts on the calipers would be easier than say replacing them.

Any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
spunger said:
I got a front brake that's orange (from a kona) and would like it to be either black or silver. I dunno if this has been done or asked before but here it goes.

What can I do to remove the color from a hayes caliper? I know that the lever bodies don't like brake fluid very much but I have no idea how the calipers react to it? I have one black brake and one orange brake. I'd like to have them match more than orange if possible. I figured stripping the paint or whatever it is that hayes puts on the calipers would be easier than say replacing them.

Any ideas on this one?
Try a chemical paint stripper.

·
Registered
734 Posts
spunger said:

Any ideas on this one?
I would recommend getting used to the color or at most just overpainting it. Using chemical strippers (like methylene chloride) or removing by mechanical means (sanding or blasting) could damage the caliper (and that damage might not be readily apparent). With a caliper failure having such disastrous potential, It just doesn't seem worth it for color. (bright (orange or red) calipers look rad anyhow;-)

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
spunger said:

Any ideas on this one?
Spill some DOT 4 on them. That should just about take care of the paint.

·
Registered
734 Posts
SSINGA said:
Spill some DOT 4 on them. That should just about take care of the paint.
Only weak finishes (lacquer for example) are (heavily) affected by brake fluid. Do you really think Hayes would use a finish on their calipers that was affected by brake fluid???

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Grumpy said:
Only weak finishes (lacquer for example) are (heavily) affected by brake fluid. Do you really think Hayes would use a finish on their calipers that was affected by brake fluid???
had some leak out of the master cyl and it took the finish off the leavers:(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SSINGA said:
had some leak out of the master cyl and it took the finish off the leavers:(
I know that one, the finish on the levers sucks. But the point is to try and not make a mess.

I think the caliper finish is stronger for some reason. I might just dremel it off with a wire brush and cover up the bleed screw and hose sections with tape. Either that or just tag it with black spray paint a few times and call it done. Whatever comes to be easier and quicker!

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I purchased a set of Hayes mechanical brakes that were factory red. I used a chemical stripper from the local hardware store and the paint came off w/o a problem. Not sure what Haye's painting process entails but it stripped easily. 1 season of riding w/o a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.