Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i went to some mtb trails with a friend and his mtb the other day, but i took my road bike (07 GT Legato 3.0) and it was really rough-going on the trails. no jumps, just a narrow path through the woods on soft dirt and rocks. i would like to start riding trails like this more often, but i need a suitable bike.

i have three options so far

1. terrible idea. nevermind.

2. sell my Legato and buy this bike:

it's a Gunnar Rockhound (really nice high-end custom frame) with a single-speed setup. this would basically be a really big bmx bike. i think i can make enough money off my Legato to buy this.

3. trade my Legato for this bike:
nevermind, silly over-built bike.

4!) trade my bike or buy another bike that comes along. i have been searching Craigslist but not much else has come up.

i have been riding bmx street/skateparks for over 15 years, so i know a lot about bicycles in general, but mtb's is a new realm for me.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i thought that might sounds like a terrible idea. it was worth exploring the possibility though.

the jump bike is out. it's over-built for my purposes. even if he builds it on that Gary Fisher Wahoo frame, it might be just silly. i will have to wait.

the Gunnar is still a possibility. however, it's a 17" frame on a 29er, so it might be too tall for me. i can ride a 17" 26er, but the bigger wheels might make just enough of a difference. ideally, i would probably ride a 16" 26er. the Gunnar site says their 17.5" frames have a standover hieght of 31". i wear pants with a 30" inseam, and i wear my pants a little "low." i don't want to castrate myself. i will ask the owner to measure the actual standover hieght.

also, according to bikepedia, the MSRP on my bike was $699.99, so i don't know who to trust. i was hoping to sell it for about $300, which would be enough to buy another decent used mtb. if i have to spend more than that, i am just going to go bike-less because i don't have any spare cash to spend on a bike, just whatever i can get in a trade or sale.

·
Bicyclist
180 Posts
Road bicycle converted to a mountain bicycle? I guess anything is possible... but road bicycles are not built as "hefty" as mountain bicycles. I'm just guessing but the weak link would end up probably being the forks.

I think you would be much much happier riding a mountain bicycle as a mountain bicycle.
Keep in mind you can always put slicks on a mountain bicycle for the road rides. I actually even ride a lot of trails with slicks. Obviously not the slippery muddy stuff though.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess what i had in mind was converting it to a cyclocross bike and riding trails on it. cyclocross bikes go through hell, but it would probably ultimately suck, which is why i have given up that idea. it would be a shameful way to ruin a perfectly good road bike.

yeah, road bikes have proven themselves to be not my cup of tea. i want dirt. so i need to find a way to sell my Legato (it's already on Craigslist) or trade it for a decent mtb. easier said than done. i think i need a 15-17" mtb and i might be able to get $300 for my legato. i am down for used bikes. what are my options to get started?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bik/

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mack_turtle said:
the Gunnar is still a possibility. however, it's a 17" frame on a 29er, so it might be too tall for me...
blah, blah, blah, i'm an idiot. it's a 26" bike with a 16" frame, so it should be fine for me. for some reason i got it in my head that this was a 29er. duh. as soon as i can scrape the cash together, this bike is mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.