Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My cup runneth over
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KS Lev seat posts on two bikes with various saddles.

The seat position that seems to suit me the best is having the seat quite far forward on its rails but I find the seat slides all the way back after a couple of weeks of riding. I have had a history of bending the seat post bolts and snapping them when re-tightening them so I am careful with the torque settings and tend to do 1 lb less than the max (10) (although once a bolt is bent it’s pretty much over!). I lightly grease the rails and everywhere that metal touches metal and for a while tried a gritty (supposedly non-slip) material but no change. I recently bought new bolts and went to the recommended max torque, still slowly slips. Has anyone else run into this and found a solution?

Thank you!.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Same thing happens to me!! Takes about 2 -3 weeks and the seat is back again. I'm going to rough up the rails with either sand paper or a file and see if it grabs the mount better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
KS Lev seat posts on two bikes with various saddles.

Thank you!.
I think that the first four words of your post sum up the reason for your problem. "KS Lev seat posts"
I've gone through several KS Levs and I always had the same problem. I'd clamp the middle of the saddle rails to the KS Lev, and 3 or 4 rides later, the saddle has slid back.
I've replaced the clamps, bolts, and nuts more than a few times without any luck. I mostly always used a torque wrench when tightening the bolts.
I noticed the last time I bought replacement parts that the clamps were beefier, but I still had this problem.
I know other riders with KS Lev without this problem. So I think it's a problem with my riding 'style' and the design of the KS Lev clamping hardware.
I've also noticed that the bottom part of the clamp can bend down over time from the impacts of riding.
Sorry I can't provide any better news.

There's also a 'dropper post' forum here. You might want to move your post there and get better feedback.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
1. Don’t grease your rails
2. Use Ti thread prep if you have TI bolts to prevent false torque reading
3. Torque to 8, then Torque to 9-10 by loading the saddle with your body weight to allow the saddle rails to flex to their loaded position within the rail mounts. Do not try to tighten this post by hand without a torque wrench. You are asking for a loose seat and a lost bolt.

Use carbon prep on carbon rails.

Also, you could buy the carbon lower saddle mount. It may dig in more than the slick Ano aluminum.

I have 3 levswith various combinations of seats, rail types, etc. I definitely had them loosen up when I didn’t do these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.