Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to stop hydration packs shifting around

2773 Views 33 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  BRnPA
I've been through so many hydration packs and waist packs I've lost count.

I hate sweaty backs and I hate shifting weight.

Waist packs solve the sweaty back and I found the uswe packs excellent for keeping the weight in place.

I have both a DaKine drafter and an Osprey pack with a suspended back which is excellent for eliminating sweaty back but I can't get them to cinch down enough to stop vertical/horizontal movement. I can tighten the shoulder straps enough to stop the movement but then they run against my neck.

Does anyone have any tips on how to cinch a pack in a way to minimise movement?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
I'm using the Evoc Hip Pack Pro waist pack, it has additional clinching straps on top of the main straps, I find it satisfactory for my riding.

Sent from my LIO-N29 using Tapatalk
I'm using the Evoc Hip Pack Pro waist pack, it has additional clinching straps on top of the main straps, I find it satisfactory for my riding.

That's what I'm typically using with the bladder. For something larger though I'm struggling.
That's what I'm typically using with the bladder. For something larger though I'm struggling.
I use it without the bladder, just 2 bottles and maybe another 1 or 2 on my bikes. The trails over here in Singapore generally do not require a full backpack (or even a big bladder), so there's no real need for us to carry bags anymore. I'm afraid I can't help much if it's backpacks you're suffering more with.

I use it without the bladder, just 2 bottles and maybe another 1 or 2 on my bikes. The trails over here in Singapore generally do not require a full backpack (or even a big bladder), so there's no real need for us to carry bags anymore. I'm afraid I can't help much if it's backpacks you're suffering more with.

Yeah I'm sold on the hip pack pro for shorter rides. It's the full pack I'm struggling with.
Do your hydration packs have a waist strap and chest strap? I only buy packs that have both and once properly adjusted I don’t find I have an issue with the pack moving around. I run the Osprey Talon series of packs.
Reactions: 1
Do your hydration packs have a waist strap and chest strap? I only buy packs that have both and once properly adjusted I don't find I have an issue with the pack moving around. I run the Osprey Talon series of packs.
Yes they all have waist and chest straps. There's a possibility I'm not adjusting then properly, that's why I thought I'd ask here.
How tall are you?
I am 6' and change, not that tall, but I find that most hydration packs waist straps are way too high on my body when I cinch down the shoulder straps enough, and/or the shoulder straps run too loose and the bag is dangling off my back when the waist band is in the right place.
Adjusting the chest strap isn't terribly effective either with these other two compromises in place.
Currently on a platypus pack, but have had the same issue with Camelbak and MEC packs.

So... hijacking the thread, who makes a good hydration pack for tall people?
i'm running a 3L camelbak lumbar pack. i too was struggling with this as i'm 6'-4" and found the sweet spot was to move the sternum strap extremely low. right around the diaphragm area and it was a night and day difference.
How tall are you?
I am 6' and change, not that tall, but I find that most hydration packs waist straps are way too high on my body when I cinch down the shoulder straps enough, and/or the shoulder straps run too loose and the bag is dangling off my back when the waist band is in the right place.
Adjusting the chest strap isn't terribly effective either with these other two compromises in place.
Currently on a platypus pack, but have had the same issue with Camelbak and MEC packs.

So... hijacking the thread, who makes a good hydration pack for tall people?
I'm a fair bit shorter, about 5'6 with a stocky build, but your description is exactly what I'm experiencing. I've tried 2 CamelBaks, DaKine, Osprey and uswe. The uswe fits far far better than anything else I've tried but oh it's terribly warm and sweaty.

If you don't have a problem with sweat I would suggest trying one.

I have a first gen Evoc hip pack and it is the worst designed thing I own. The straps are not adjustable without taking the pack off. I should have taken the damn thing back to REI.
There's a couple things with full packs that I look for.

One is a real hip belt. Not just a wimpy webbing strap. Those things are about worthless. I'm talking about a hip belt that is actually supportive of the load in the pack (and the pack itself).

The other thing is the ability to secure the load itself in the pack. I have an Osprey Talon 22 that is really a hiking pack that I co-opted for riding years ago. It was okay, but the thing it was terrible about was securing the load within the pack when the pack wasn't fully loaded. The pack suspension was secure, but the load inside the pack wasn't secure enough. The pack body is fairly light material and the cinch straps are at odd angles. So loads inside will shift.

These days, I have 2 different EVOC packs that I'm pretty happy with. I use a Stage 18L for most duties. I don't have any trouble at all with loads shifting, and the suspension is very good. I have a bigger EVOC that I use for my guiding pack because I have to carry a massive first aid kit. It does well, but it's definitely hotter on the back when riding. Kindof a necessary evil at work, though.

I've had my eye on a hip pack for shorter rides, too. For those times where even the Stage really only has my water, a few tools, and my wallet/keys.
See less See more
The new USW packs have a new back panel that vents better and has a wavy material. I've found these cooler than my older ones and you KNOW they don't move around. NEW MTB Hydration pack 8L
Fundamentally, you’re asking for two things that are mutually exclusive. You want a pack that’s not directly attached to your back for cooling AND you want it to be tight with no movement. I suspect you’ll find that’s impossible. Once you tighten the pack enough to reduce movement, it’s compressed against your back.

USWE has the best mounting. Osprey is second. Both are hot.
I have a first gen Evoc hip pack and it is the worst designed thing I own. The straps are not adjustable without taking the pack off. I should have taken the damn thing back to REI.
I think that's the Hip Pack Race (1 bottle slot only, no clinching straps). The Pro is the improved design with 2 bottle slots. I could be wrong though.

you still can. their return policy is great
I ditched backpack type hydration packs completely when I started jumping more because the damn things would whack me in the back of the head all the time. Now I use a hip pack with a water bottle holder and am much happier. Also keeping the weight low on your body is a benefit for stability.
Reactions: 1
you still can. their return policy is great
No, it's 1 year now.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.