Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Set bike fork into locking Thule fork clamp on roof rack.

2) Lock Thule locking fork clamp

3) Run combination lock bike cable through bike and spare wheel.

Works groovy. Done it for years.

How to stop a professional thief:

1) Don't do any of these things, because they won't stop a professional thief.

My trusty, ancient Cannondale Super V 2000 got jacked from the back of my truck last night. I was up in Snottsdale housesitting for someone in Gainey Ranch. It now occurs to me the reason I can get away with locking the bike to the truck in Tempe is because the criminals are up in Snottsdale, where all the pretty things are.

It was a very clean job. They pulled the bike, cable, wheel, and fork clamp out as one unit. No scratches on the truck, hardly any damage to the crossbar. Stupid English Springer Spaniel I'm dog-sitting concurrent with the house-sitting couldn't be bothered to woof.

Here's hoping the homeowner's insurance plays ball and I get to buy a new bike.

There's a special ring in Hell waiting for bike thieves. Actually it's a dirty, sharktoothed 34T chainring, and I'm personally gonna shove it in sideways while deviled-ham devils bend the thief over.

In better news, I broke my dry spell by riding like a rock star on the Rock Lobster with my client @ Granite Basin this morning. Four hours, tons of climbing, and I'm none the worse for wear. Only really sore spot is a nasty blood blister on my right palm, which has gotten soft from lack of riding.

Effing bike thieves.

p.

· Banned
7,032 Posts
that blows paul....

someone seriously needs to make a bike with gunpowder in the tubes, wire a connection to the computer and put a blasting cap in there, leave it out, and blow off some theives jewels...i'd be all for it.

punishment should be so severe as to make the perpetrator never commit the crime again, this will vary from person to person in terms of severity of course...

· Registered
159 Posts
Oh man, sorry to hear the bad news. Look at the bright side though, they were pros. They didn't hurt the truck or just plain steal it. A hacker would have mangled the truck and you'd also be submitting estimates for body damage and paint repair. At least they were clean about it.

I had my car broken into once. They couldn't get the stereo out of the dash, but did a good job busting up the interior panels trying to do so. The a*hole didn't even leave the face-plate behind. They took it and left me with half a stereo, which I then had to remove myself.

Good luck on the replacement. Maybe going shopping will be your slumpbuster!
-kevinO

Paul B said:
1) Set bike fork into locking Thule fork clamp on roof rack.

It was a very clean job. They pulled the bike, cable, wheel, and fork clamp out as one unit. No scratches on the truck, hardly any damage to the crossbar. Stupid English Springer Spaniel I'm dog-sitting concurrent with the house-sitting couldn't be bothered to woof.

Effing bike thieves.

p.

· (enter witty phrase here)
2,194 Posts
Go buy one of those laser pointers. Tape the button down and prop it into a nearby bush or tree. Shining the pointer on some obvious part of your bike. The would be theif will be wondering if there's a sniper in the trees waiting to take him out. :D

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Cannondale Super V 2000 details

Sorry Paul -

Here's to bad Karma to all bike theifs. Give a good description of your Super V and your permission to drag the rider off it by the short hairs. Make it a good description, it be rather emabarrassing to drag the wrong person from their bike. :)

Good Luck (and Karma) to you in this matter.

· Registered
1,531 Posts
Good point... I don't want to get beat up!!!!

I have a 1995-ish Super V 700. Its red with yellow decals, and the carbon swingarm.
Dead giveaways are the blue SID 98 fork, and all the Bontrager/Matrix/Icon parts on it.

Mine is the 'non-active' model which makes it worth....at best.... $75!

AZClydesdale said:
Sorry Paul -

Here's to bad Karma to all bike theifs. Give a good description of your Super V and your permission to drag the rider off it by the short hairs. Make it a good description, it be rather emabarrassing to drag the wrong person from their bike. :)

· Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Details (not that it's gonna matter)

AZClydesdale said:
Sorry Paul -

Okay...

It's a Cannondale Super V 2000, Y2K model, blue with yellow trim, about 12k miles on it (I wrote most of my guidebook from the saddle). Upgrades: 2002 Marzocchi Atom Race 100 fork, Hayes brakes, handbuilt wheels (XT/521, built by me), Easton Monkey Lite bars, IMBA/Titec Ithys saddle, ODI lock-on w/Rogue grips, XTR rapid rise der, Race Face rock ring, Goretex cabling (yellow housing) throughout. Oh, and homebrew tubeless setup (rear wheel came off the Stinky, which bums me out because now i need to set up another Mobster).

Don't worry about dragging him off. Just break his ankle, drive him to the desert, and take away his shoes.

p.

· Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wish List

Gnarlene said:
Sorry to hear that....here's hoping for a nifty new bike with insurance money to pay for it. Whatchya gonna get?
The short list, assuming insurance plays ball (not clear they're going to based on my first conversations):

* Tomac Revolver or Eli
* Hammerhead 100x
* 5 Spot (yawwwwwn...everyone's got one these days but they are one hell of a deal)
* custom 29er -- I've been wanting a hardtail with a little suspension for a long time now, and that 29" White Brothers fork looks sweet!
* Maybe a Blur; rode Brett's once and it felt nifty
* whatever Landis can hook me up with in the 4"-5", 26-28lb. range

p.

· caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Damn Meth Heads!

First, what a major bummer loosing a bike that you're sentimentally attached to.

Your well ridden Super V is probably somewhere in the West Valley in a fencers garage.

Most likely taken there by Meth Heads supporting their habit by general thievery. They probably cruise seemingly secure affluent "hoods" prospecting for targets of opportunity.

Which begs me to ask: Did you leave your bike on the rack parked outside overnight? Nothing but death will stop a determined thief, however they can't steal what they don't know is there.

Death by "Bunga Bunga" to thieves and those who buy stolen goods!

Louis

· Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SunDog said:
First, what a major bummer loosing a bike that you're sentimentally attached to.

Your well ridden Super V is probably somewhere in the West Valley in a fencers garage.

Most likely taken there by Meth Heads supporting their habit by general thievery. They probably cruise seemingly secure affluent "hoods" prospecting for targets of opportunity.

Which begs me to ask: Did you leave your bike on the rack parked outside overnight? Nothing but death will stop a determined thief, however they can't steal what they don't know is there.

Death by "Bunga Bunga" to thieves and those who buy stolen goods!

Louis
Yeah, the sentimental value is pretty huge. I'm missing it today, mostly because the various insurance companies are feeling reluctant to do anything. We'll see what's what next week.

Yes, it was left double-locked to my truck overnight. I even had a premonition it would be stolen -- yet another lesson to trust my gut. :(

p.

· Derailleurless
9,119 Posts
Paul B said:
Yes, it was left double-locked to my truck overnight. I even had a premonition it would be stolen -- yet another lesson to trust my gut. :(
Ugh, that leaves a pit in my stomach. Bikes on roof racks overnight are equivalent to billboards advertising to the scum of society.

· Registered
70 Posts
Condolences

Bike thiefs really suck. I have had three ripped since I started riding mountain bikes. The police don't really take it too serious. The officer was looking at me like a criminal when I reported the value of the loss. I don't think it ranks high on the criminal activity radar even though many of the thefts are felonies in value.

I think I remember seeing that bike on Mt Elden summer 2001. You were working on your book up near the top of the catwalk, and we had a group riding through.. (My crappy coda disk brakes blew out fluid, and I was riding on front brakes.)

Sorry about the loss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.