Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK let's try this again.

Here is a fork for $50 http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3336-spinner-grind-1-forks.aspx and there are dozens of used forks on ebay and craigslist for $20-80

I'd love to know how to determine what fork will fit my gf's dept store bike.

i DON'T need to be told to buy a new bike. That's not the question I am asking. You are wasting keystrokes.

I'm not trying to be rude here, just looking for actual help learning actual stuff that will actually help me. You will not help me at all by telling me to save more money and buy a better bike.

Thank you, to anyone who has a useful reply. I actually do appreciate it very much and do have a positive attitude :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts

is this it? i suggest just taking all your upgraded working components and getting your gf a new bike. maybe a women specific bike. it will feel so much more comfortable on her and the components will stop breaking like they did on this MG.

bring it into the bike shop, they will help you easily determine what fork you need. if you purchase a fork from them, they will help you install it for free. if u buy the fork separate, they will charge you $35-50 to install the fork.

if you're low on cash u just gotta save, its a tough economy. ... or make more of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do appreciate the answer, but it doesn't really help. Seems the answer to every question on here is "spend more money" or "go to a bike shop" or a combination of the two.

Biking isn't a defining lifestyle for me, it's just something I do sometimes for fun so I guess I'll just look around on craigslist or ebay for a random used fork and hope it fits :skep:

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
Your going to spend more on a fork than the bike is worth before your done.

What I would do is while your doing the fork, just swap out the frame. If you already replaced most of the major parts, so the only things that are not good on the bike is the frame, fork, and shock. New Hard Tail frames start at about 80 dollars. I think it is the very least that should be done to insure your Girlfriends Safety on that bike when she is riding it.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Find another bike...

Garage sales and Craig's list are good places to start.

A used replacement fork that won't be significantly better than what's currently on there will run you $50-$150.

You'd be much better off looking for garage sales and spending the fork replacement cost money on a complete bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's cool, I guess I was just hoping for a more helpful reply. Like when I get on an automotive forum and ask for help fixing the rough idle on my '92 Tempo the readers seem apt enough to realize there's probably a reason I own a beater, so I get suggestions that match my budget, not "YOU SHOULD GO TO A CAR DEALER AND BUY A NEW CAR"

Anyway, I do appreciate that you took the time to reply, it just isn't of use to me. I can't spend hundreds of dollars, I'm looking to spend tens of dollars here so I guess I'm just on the wrong forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
apanthropy said:
I do appreciate the answer, but it doesn't really help. Seems the answer to every question on here is "spend more money" or "go to a bike shop" or a combination of the two.

Biking isn't a defining lifestyle for me, it's just something I do sometimes for fun so I guess I'll just look around on craigslist or ebay for a random used fork and hope it fits :skep:

Cheers
what kind of answer are you looking for? u want to put a rockshox fork on it? how about a fox? maybe just email mongoose and ask them what fork is compatible with the bike?

specs on the mongoose page dont tell us whether it needs 1 1/8 or 1 (lol) or 1.5 (lol). nor does it tell us the travel length that the frame is designed for. given that the frame probably sucks, i would NOT risk going with a wrong travel fork that will crack the frame. Having some type of metal in your gf's face isn't nice (lol)

going with a random fork, huh? hoping it fits? (lol) take pics and let us know how that turns out
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Ridiculous

apanthropy said:
That's cool, I guess I was just hoping for a more helpful reply. Like when I get on an automotive forum and ask for help fixing the rough idle on my '92 Tempo the readers seem apt enough to realize there's probably a reason I own a beater, so I get suggestions that match my budget, not "YOU SHOULD GO TO A CAR DEALER AND BUY A NEW CAR"

Anyway, I do appreciate that you took the time to reply, it just isn't of use to me. I can't spend hundreds of dollars, I'm looking to spend tens of dollars here so I guess I'm just on the wrong forum.
No one is saying buy a new car. But if you went to the auto forum and said, I have a cracked block. I'm looking to fix it for $100, give me some solutions; you wouldn't find the answer you're looking for.

The part is broken. The replacement cost for the broken part is greater than your $20 budget. Even a rebuild of the existing fork will run you more than your budget in parts.

Would you prefer that we lie to you for the sake of your feelings or tell you the truth?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
skyliner1004 said:
what kind of answer are you looking for?
going with a random fork, huh? hoping it fits? (lol) take pics and let us know how that turns out
Well, I was kinda hoping for something like "you need to measure this part of your frame to figure out what kind of fork you need, here is a link to a guide on how to measure that might be helpful to you, hey keep an eye out for a "brand x model x" they can be found for just a few dollars and might last for years with light use.... "

but in the absence of a useful answer I'll just have to go for a random fork on my own and see how it works out.

Cheers. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken in KC said:
No one is saying buy a new car. But if you went to the auto forum and said, I have a cracked block. I'm looking to fix it for $100, give me some solutions; you wouldn't find the answer you're looking for.

The part is broken. The replacement cost for the broken part is greater than your $20 budget. Even a rebuild of the existing fork will run you more than your budget in parts.

Would you prefer that we lie to you for the sake of your feelings or tell you the truth?
I never said $20 ?

Here is a fork for $50 http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3336-spinner-grind-1-forks.aspx and there are dozens of used forks on ebay and craigslist for $20-80

I'd love to know how to determine whether or not it will fit my gf's bike, which is the question I asked in the first place...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
I would not recommend at bike with any suspension at all for the type of riding that you are talking about (mostly pavement), now matter what your budget is.

You could just ride the mongoose as is and enjoy it. Alternatively, you could sell it and add the money to the money you were gonna use to buy a new fork. Then spend $150 to $300 on a road/cruiser type of bike (with no suspension) new or used . I am imagining some thing like this.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Good luck with your girlfriend's health...

apanthropy said:
Well, I was kinda hoping for something like "you need to measure this part of your frame to figure out what kind of fork you need, here is a link to a guide on how to measure that might be helpful to you, hey keep an eye out for a "brand x model x" they can be found for just a few dollars and might last for years with light use.... "

but in the absence of a useful answer I'll just have to go for a random fork on my own and see how it works out.

Cheers. :)
You need to determine how much travel the existing fork has.
You need to determine what diameter the headtube is.
You need to measure the steerer tube length of the existing fork.
You need to find a fork for $20 that's better than the brand of fork that you haven't provided us for your budget that matches the existing travel and steerer dimensions of the current fork.

It's extremely unlikely that you'll purchase a fork that's better than what you have for $10-$20.

And if you do, you'd still be better off finding another bike at a garage sales vs. spending money on a $20 fork.

I'd love to find a new ZR1 engine for my car for $300. What do you think the likelyhood of that happening is?
 

·
Picture Unrelated
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
Measure the steer tube. It's either 1" or 1 1/8" diameter. Then go to a bike shop and ask how much the cheapest rigid fork they can find is. They may even have some take offs in the basement or something. You'll loose the suspension, but it didn't work anyway. The rigid fork will save you some hassle in maintenance and should be cheap. Make sure to get the headset race switched from the old fork to the new one (provided there isn't some crazy integrated race on that fork, which is possible).

The reason you aren't getting the answer you want is that the people on this site are accustomed to answering this same question over and over again, and are experienced enough to realize that you can find a much better entire used bike for the same price you will buy a new fork for. Everyone is helping you, but since it's not the answer you want, you ignore them. If you're lucky, you may be able to fix your bike for tens of dollars if you want to put the time into asking nicely for used parts at your local bike shops.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
apanthropy said:
Well, I was kinda hoping for something like "you need to measure this part of your frame to figure out what kind of fork you need, here is a link to a guide on how to measure that might be helpful to you, hey keep an eye out for a "brand x model x" they can be found for just a few dollars and might last for years with light use.... "

but in the absence of a useful answer I'll just have to go for a random fork on my own and see how it works out.

Cheers. :)
............Fill this out ..............
 

Attachments

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
apanthropy said:
I never said $20 ?

Here is a fork for $50 http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3336-spinner-grind-1-forks.aspx and there are dozens of used forks on ebay and craigslist for $20-80

I'd love to know how to determine whether or not it will fit my gf's bike, which is the question I asked in the first place...
Here you go: http://parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=12&imageField2.x=7&imageField2.y=5

I'm not familiar with the fork you listed. And I wouldn't buy a fork used without having first hand knowledge of its prior use (or abuse) because it becomes a safety concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Doesn't sound like your girl needs suspension at all. Watch Craigslist and you should be able to find a complete bike from the nineties for less than $100. Any fork worth having will cost more than that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,633 Posts
apanthropy said:
I never said $20 ?

Here is a fork for $50 http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3336-spinner-grind-1-forks.aspx and there are dozens of used forks on ebay and craigslist for $20-80

I'd love to know how to determine whether or not it will fit my gf's bike, which is the question I asked in the first place...
cool..it even has disk tabs....

but....i doubt if it's an 'upgrade'....i'm guessing it'll operate just as poorly as your current fork....

measure the ID of your headset (or OD of your current steerer tube) to find the right size.....[edited per highdelll's observation]

you'll need to remove crown race from current fork....put fork upside down and gently tap with hammer using a flat bladed screw driver....

you'll need a 'star nut' (easy to install with right size socket and hammer taps) and a hacksaw to cut steerer to correct length....don't install star nut too deep and install AFTER you cut steerer tube

then press on crown race using a length of PVC (1.25" ?) and hammer (rubber)...don't forget to lube the bottom part of steerer tube (grease)...
lightly grease steerer tube....slide back up into head tube....stack on spacers....slide on lightly greased stem....last spacer then top cap....

with hex wrench (size 4, 5 or 6) tighten until snug (don't be HE-MAN here).....and loosely tighten stem....

with your hand squeezing front brake turn wheel 90 degrees right....with forefinger and thumb squeeze at top and bottom junction of headset (alternating) while rocking the bike back and forth....you do not want to feel any 'play'..

tighten top cap just enough so there is ZERO play on headset.....then tighten stem to spec.....make sure brake caliper bolts have blu loctite...and that brakes work....boing around a lil' on it.....then check for headset play again....

i'm sure someone will correct me on something.....please see sig below....

my .02
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top