Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty good at fixing most things on my bike but setting up and adjusting derailleur has always been difficult.

My question is when installing a derailleur where do you start with cable tension and what point do you leave the barrel nut set when running the cable for the first time?

I have a Shimano Deore LX that I pulled the cable tight left the barrel nut in the middle but when adjusting it I can't seem to find the sweet spot and if I loosen the barrel nut too much it comes completely un-threaded from the derailleur.

·
Registered
18,016 Posts
I turn the barrel adjuster most, if not all the way in before anchoring the cable because it usually needs a few counter clockwise turns to take out the slack. Also when initially setting the cable I'll anchor it to the derailleur and make several shifts, or if it's split cable hold the derailleur and pull an exposed section of cable to seat the ferrules on the housing and into the stops, then loosen the anchor and re- set the cable (taught). Make sure the high limit screw is set correctly first.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I turn the barrel adjuster most, if not all the way in before anchoring the cable because it usually needs a few counter clockwise turns to take out the slack. Also when initially setting the cable I'll anchor it to the derailleur and make several shifts, or if it's split cable hold the derailleur and pull an exposed section of cable to seat the ferrules on the housing and into the stops, then loosen the anchor and re- set the cable (taught). Make sure the high limit screw is set correctly first.
what he said.. pretty much all of it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Initial cable installation the easy way:

- Set "high" screw without the cable installed to ensure the derailleur itself shifts to the smallest cog.
- Set barrel adjusters to a couple of turns out from fully in.
- Manually select the second smallest cog on the cassette and leave it there.
- Pull on the cable and click the shifter to let out as much cable as it will give (smallest cog selection).
- Tighten cable retention screw.
- Turn cranks to get things working: the chain should drop to the smallest cog. From here you should only need a minimum amount of adjustment to get it perfect.
- Adjust Low screw, but don't use the shifter to pull the cable. Grab the exposed cable instead and pull on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.