Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im moving out finally next month and Im looking for any ideas to keep my bike secure in my apartment. Anyone come up with any clever ideas to keep there pricey bikes secure? Hope there is something I can do to give me at least a little bit of peace of mind.

Thanks guys!

·
Live 2 Ride
6,130 Posts
Keep it in your bedroom?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kona0197 said:
Keep it in your bedroom?
Obviously, but my rooms on the ground floor with a sliding door to the outside so im looking for some other ideas too.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Inside, in bedroom, locked up. We have a 2 bedroom townhouse, and 4 complete bikes. They stay upstairs, so far, so good.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,130 Posts
Obviously, but my rooms on the ground floor with a sliding door to the outside so im looking for some other ideas too.
I keep my bike in the kitchen. It has a sliding glass door. That door has 2 locks. Never a problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You don't need your bedroom closet for CLOTHES, do you?

But seriously: renters insurance. And get the special rider for your bike. I know you don't want your bike stolen, but if it IS... then you get to go shopping. Don't go low bidder; go with a reputable insurance company.

I'm in an apartment temporarily. My bike stand lives in my dining room on a shower curtain covering the floor, but I have a large dining room.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a bike any more than other possessions inside a house/apartment. If you're in a high break in area then maybe get creative with a good lock/chain/cable attached to something to make it difficult to move. A well equipped thief will take it...

·
Registered
113 Posts
insurance and alot of detailed pics of what you own and keep receipts for everything you buy........who doesnt like a new bike?!?!?!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jrherald420 said:
insurance and alot of detailed pics of what you own and keep receipts for everything you buy........who doesnt like a new bike?!?!?!
I have receipts for everything, ill take some pics, and it is a brand new bike which is why i dont want it gettin jacked haha.

thanks for the responses guys

·
Registered
366 Posts
if the landlord allows you to do so, get a bike hoist. hoist it on the ceiling. take both wheels off. and wrap a lock from the frame around the bike hoist and back. should give you sometime to figure out if anyone is trying to steal it and it might make some noise making others aware. just an idea

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
When I travel and stay in hotels I lock my bike with an 8ft aircraft cable to the radiator, I loop it through the wheel, frame and fork.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,130 Posts
Name any modern hotel that uses radiators...

·
Registered
113 Posts
XJman07 said:
I have receipts for everything, ill take some pics, and it is a brand new bike which is why i dont want it gettin jacked haha.

thanks for the responses guys
when i called about renter insurance they told me take pics of everything and pics of serial numbers too. also they said do a slow walk thru with a video camera.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Kona0197 said:
The balsalms in new hampshire. The place where the first 12 people in the United States vote for president still till this day have radiators. Pretty dam modern. Over 300 dollars a night.

Dam Kona you love to start arguments with people. Just keep your mouth shut then mabye so many people wont hate you. You make the most irrelevant points on everything.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,130 Posts
I didn't say name a modern hotel with radiators to start an arguement. I was seeking information. Do you not know the difference?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Im in the same situation as you, i got creative with a bike rack that hangs 3 bikes by the wheels and a few cable locks. The rack is large enough that I will have to take it apart to get it out of the apartment (not looking forward to that i used LOTs of wood glue and 20 grade 8 bolts)

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Kona0197 said:
Heating/air conditioning unit perform the same function and have a place to slip a lock cable through, if that isn't available then you can use the bed frame or a solid table. I have always found a place solid and unbreakable to thread a cable through in every hotel room I have stayed at.

You will find expensive hotels are the ones with radiators since they are likely older and have steam heating, try staying at one instead of the Days Inn on the highway.

Its worth the extra cash.:thumbsup:

·
Live 2 Ride
6,130 Posts
Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts