Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
furker
235 Posts
The couch is now pop art. The value just doubled and you owe Trek founder Dick Burke and Andy Worhol royalty fees, which you must deliver personally before your tires will seal.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
We all have done similar things, and that is how we learn.

Next time don't put sealant in before tire is seated. That avoids the mess.

A compressor makes things easier.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Everyone knows you only use Stan's when working on a white leather couch, sheesh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My buddy bought his first bike "used" to ride with his DH and Enduro racing son. It was a Salsa Fat Bike. Tires 26x4.0.

The tires were flat. I pulled tires and patched tubes. One tube had 8 patches and still does not hold air. You cannot find Fat Tire tubes anywhere in country and the manufactures of those tubes are not making them anytime soon and won't even take your $ for a backorder b/c they cannot keep up with supplying tubes for new bike production... ugh!

So, TREK has bought every mom and pop bike shop in Austin they can and I hear they are doing it across entire country... including my go to LBS "Bicycle Sport Shops" and all their locations. I find this sad, but I ride Trek so things could be worse I guess.

Anyhoo, I take rims and tires and tubes to TREK Austin, TX on Lamar and showed them my problem and they inspected rim and tire physically and looked it up online and said that it was a tubeless ready tire and rim and why don't I switch to tubeless... I said, "Great!" So they try and hard sell me on them setting it up and I said, "NO, I do all my own work" and they then sell me $50 worth of stuff and tell me how to setup it up.

I go home. Pull rim tape. Clean rim with alcohol. yadah, yadah, yadah and after getting blue sealant all over my house cannot get the tire to seat.

Next day leave message for Surly Tire company with questions. A week later they email me telling me that that tire and rim are NOT tubeless compatible and the LBS should have known this if they know what they are doing!

Sooooooo.... Is my tire now compromised because its interior is covered in blue Bontrager sealant and I will never be able to see or feel cactus or thorns properly again?
Does TREK owe me another tire?
Do they owe me a $50 refund on all the tubeless kit they sold me?
Do they owe me leather cleaning for having blue sealant all over my bone white leather couch that now looks like a Smurf was murdered on it??? I have no idea how it got on it, but it is dripped across it and won't come off and I am PISSED!
Should they have been able to tell the difference between tubeless and tubed rim and tires? Surly Tires says so!

I am trying to be fair, but I spent a day of my life with my God Son (explains couch) trying to make this work because the LBS told me it would after inspecting all tire and rim and selling me the kit to do it!

Thoughts?
Trek isn't buying up locals... locals are opting to become TrekStores. Its like a franchise/branding arrangement.

·
Trail Rider
1,425 Posts
Trek just recently bought the Trek Superstore bike shops (in California and New Mexico). Turning them into Trek concept shops.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Who in the ******y tries to seat a tyre with sealant indoors close to a white couch? You mess with sealant OUTDOORS or in a workshop where you aint afraid of getting splattered with sealant.

Please use common sense.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,038 Posts
if you seriously want the easiest of all systems ...fatty stripper. they just cost a bit of dough and are one-time use

but ....can't be beat for no leaks, done in one
Fatty stripper?
He doesn't need any more messes on the couch....

;)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes/no. Trek used to push "Trek Store" branding pretty hard. They've now switched tacks to buying/turning them corporate. You can read about it in Bicycle Retailer, if you are interested in it.
definitely gonna check that out. In my area its been the situation that previous dealers of trek have opted to take on the brand name but are still a local shop.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,640 Posts
Trek just recently bought the Trek Superstore bike shops (in California and New Mexico). Turning them into Trek concept shops.
Somehow I landed on their email list. "We're open!" -- "We're closed." -- rinse & repeat.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,760 Posts

·
Cycologist
7,563 Posts
I think OP was alluding that it was the God Son who smurfed the couch.

Next time go with Orange Seal and the couch will start lookin' pretty hip.

Reactions: Critter Cameraman
41 - 60 of 66 Posts