·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,219 Posts

Also, was this Hedley Lamar?

·
Registered
Mayor of Titty City
1,757 Posts
Wow! Amazing how much love you can get on one post and how much hate on another ;-P
  • I could not google the info as Surly took it off their website. So, I went to my pro LBS.
  • The head of the service dept inspected rim and tire and looked up on internet and said he found it (not on Surly's website, but it is reasonable to believe the LBS has access to better info than me both online and experience with rims and tires)
  • He said I could do it easily with his kit if I followed his instructions. This was seriously erroneous info, just as his info on the rim and tire were erroneous.
  • I did the work outside. But if you try for hours to inflate a tire that is incompatible with the system and is full of sealant you will get sealant all over the place which you would not do if you had the correct parts.
  • For those who missed the humor about the couch I guess you believe in Smurfs too?? I am not sure if everyone should have a beer before reading posts or drink less beer before reading posts, but I thought I was being OBVIOUSLY tongue in cheek when I included the murder scene of said Smurf, apologies if some believed a Smurf had been injured in the writing of this post.
I'm going to assume that you're 70 years old and not very good with technology, based on the fact that you think the only 2 places to find info online is a manufacturers website or some magic knowledge portal that only your LBS has access to.

Like someone else on here mentioned, fat bike tires are difficult to setup tubeless whether they're tubeless ready or not. You're basically trying to seat a motorcycle tire.

If you're trying to do it with a floor pump, that's your first mistake...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It took me a while to get the hang of tubeless including struggling with inflation. You can actually make almost any rim and tire tubeless with the appropriate rim tape or strip...it's just more difficult with non-tubeless ready rims and tires. True tubeless ready rims and tires are easy and I can sometimes inflate them with a hand pump.

Fat bike tires are more difficult because you need a higher volume of air to seat them. But sealing the rim is easy with something like Gorilla Tape.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Like someone else on here mentioned, fat bike tires are difficult to setup tubeless whether they're tubeless ready or not. You're basically trying to seat a motorcycle tire.

If you're trying to do it with a floor pump, that's your first mistake...
Hell I don't even screw around with my 2.3 tires- that's what a compressor is for

·
GALATIANS 2:20
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for all the grief! Just kidding (kind of) as I have a thick skin... ;-)
If I want to do it myself and my service dept head says I can do it myself seems reasonable and frankly I think everyone should make an effort to be competent at repairing one's own bike. If I had been told by my expert advisor LBS that I do an enormous amount of business with that it was going to be beyond my abilities I would have paid the dosh. I wasn't trying to just save the $ even though I am "a poor", but I was trying to be self reliant with my bike and bond with my God Son (who is sponsored on 2 DH Teams at 14 yr old and I am so proud !) And yes I watched MANY Youtube videos on setting up tubeless and there is not a single one on Fat Tires.

My attempt at some humor was evidently delivered in an epic "FAIL" my apologies for that raising the ire of the KeyBoard Kommandos. I will keep my Smurf Killing to myself in the future, even though to be honest I expect to have many more Smurf killing experiences in the future ;-P

God Bless and wishing all of you a pleasant bike repair experience!

·
Your bike sucks
2,171 Posts
for what it's worth, even if the rim and tire are not technically tubeless ready...many of us could make that work. Extra layer or two of tape. Conscious of the sealant. I wouldn't do it with the wire beads... if I held the tire and rim in my hands, I'd know if it had a legit chance. Used to do it quite often.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,450 Posts
So, here we go with another Rocket Science project...

Frankly, I have never had issue with tubeless and my circa 2014 Bud/Lou on Rolling Darryl's. It takes less than 30 minutes to start with stripping the rims, swabbing em with acetone or MEK, taping em, mounting the tires and inflating em. ALWAYS DRY ON INITIAL INFLATION After the setup has been proven viable, pluck the valve core and stuff in sealant followed by the correct dosage of air.

Jumpin Jeebus!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's true there isn't a single tubeless fat bike tire setup video on youtube.
My search turned up a dozen before I got bored of counting.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just setup My Other Brother Darryl's tubeless about a month ago, and that was about two weeks after ordering a few fat tubes that will now hopefully sit idle for emergencies only. Patience, time, and at least one watch of the Park video and a few others got me through it with little fanfare. I was even able to set the bead with my floor pump. Compressor didn't even get turned on.

I did get a custom hand built 29+ wheelset a few weeks ago and got to see what a real tape job looks like. That said, even my crappy tape job is holding air.

I don't think having a murdered Smurf story is a bad thing, if a silver lining is needed.

·
No Clue Crew
7,154 Posts
This site should set a daily word count posting limit. If the OP is like this in real life, the shop probably just wanted to get him out the door.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,244 Posts
And yes I watched MANY Youtube videos on setting up tubeless and there is not a single one on Fat Tires.
maybe you didn't realize it then, but you should now understand that if you are searching for something specific, you actually need to include those words in your search string.

It's true there isn't a single tubeless fat bike tire setup video on youtube.
My search turned up a dozen before I got bored of counting.
bingo!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,986 Posts
if you seriously want the easiest of all systems ...fatty stripper. they just cost a bit of dough and are one-time use

but ....can't be beat for no leaks, done in one

21 - 40 of 66 Posts