Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first pair of tubeless tires and after enjoying wearing them in i stopped and thought...hang on a sec. If they're tubeless...how do i repair a puncture? :confused:

So here i am asking; how do i repair them and what do i need to do it?

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, Stans will seal small holes, The next step is to always carry a tube for a bigger holes on trail that Stans will not seal. A regular patch kit will not work on the tubeless tire lining. However, Hutchinson makes a specific patch kit for tubeless tires that I have used with success.

·
Registered
271 Posts
pmurrn said:
Yeah, Stans will seal small holes, The next step is to always carry a tube for a bigger holes on trail that Stans will not seal. A regular patch kit will not work on the tubeless tire lining. However, Hutchinson makes a specific patch kit for tubeless tires that I have used with success.
I patched a small hole on the inside of an IRC Mythos tubeless with a regular patch kit and it has held for an entire race season, and then some. Since then I started running Stans and have had no more puncture issues.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Never had a flat!

Been running UST rims and UST tires for 6 years now and have not had a flat so my advice is to buy good UST tires - Maxxis or Schwalbe - run a little bit of Stan's in 'em and go ride.

I also live in a place full of sharp, volcanic rocks and cacti and still haven't had a flat.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
1. Use sealant in the tyre & flats are rare

2. You can't easily repair a hole on the trail - stick in a tube

3. When back home - take tyre off,give it a good hose, clean all dirt off around the hole, and glue it with 'superglue' - get a few drops right down through the casing .Leave it overnight.
I've heard 'Shoe-goo' works really well also & I'm waiting to try it - I've used it on shoes [duh] and it takes a good 2 days to really set though .
Patches can be put on the inside to reinforce the glue but probably not really necessary. I've successfully used plain old inner tube patches , but this doesn't seem to work for everyone. The specific 'UST' patches [I've heard] differ only in that the patch material doesn't stretch. If you want to put a patch on & it wont hold with rubber cement then use a bit of superglue on it.
This 'superglue' +/- patch method works even for significant sidewall chops. Like any glueing/painting job though , it is dependant on having a clean dry surface to start - this is why it is difficult to do on the trail.
There are also bike kits which use the auto/motorbike plug method, but this seems totally unnecessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.