Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been biking regularily for about a year now, long enough to send my rear wheel to that big trail in the sky... I took it to the shop recently because of a broken spoke and they were able to fix it but advised me I need a new wheel (I've had it detensed/retensed twice in a year). I've been looking at pre assembled wheel sets, they seem to include everything but the cassette and disk. The disk looks easy enough to get off but I cannot figure out how the heck you remove the cassette... So my question has two parts, first how do you remove the cassette so I can transfer it to the new wheel? And second, are pre-assembled wheel sets a good idea for a newbie like me? For what it's worth I have a 2002? Specialized Enduro w/ Hayes discs. Thanks!

-Brian

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
With a cassette lockring adapter and a chainwhip (or Pedro's cog tool or a heavy grip and a leather glove).

Considering that any pre-built wheel is simply a collection of parts, it matters most who or how your wheel was built. But even a poorly tensioned but inexpensive machine built wheel can be tensioned up pretty quickly to provide years of reliable service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh, I feel dumb. I just went to an online bike shop and clicked on the link for "tools". Wallah, there is a whole page devoted to cassette tools. Thanks for the epiphany!

·
Registered
120 Posts
steep creeker said:
...are pre-assembled wheel sets a good idea for a newbie like me? For what it's worth I have a 2002? Specialized Enduro w/ Hayes discs. Thanks!

-Brian
Brian,

I have an Enduro also and I have a set of Mavic CrossMax XL and a custom built set Chris King hubs laced to Mavic rims (got them from wrenchscience saw the ad right here at MTBR) and my money is on the conventional build. The Mavic CrossMax are a great wheel set but everything is proprietary to Mavic. If you break a spoke, as I did, it may take weeks for your LBS to get you another (as it did mine) and (a pitch for Chris King here) I really like the Chris King hubs. Chris King components have a reputation of quality and all technical information is available on-line. I could find no information about the Mavic hubs or their maintenance. Besides the Chris King manufacturing process is very environmentally friendly and it seems like a great business.

That's my two cents anyway.

Later,

Beck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Becky Thatcher said:
Brian,

I have an Enduro also and I have a set of Mavic CrossMax XL and a custom built set Chris King hubs laced to Mavic rims (got them from wrenchscience saw the ad right here at MTBR) and my money is on the conventional build. The Mavic CrossMax are a great wheel set but everything is proprietary to Mavic. If you break a spoke, as I did, it may take weeks for your LBS to get you another (as it did mine) and (a pitch for Chris King here) I really like the Chris King hubs. Chris King components have a reputation of quality and all technical information is available on-line. I could find no information about the Mavic hubs or their maintenance. Besides the Chris King manufacturing process is very environmentally friendly and it seems like a great business.

That's my two cents anyway.

Later,

Beck
Check this thread, it has some info on Mavic hub maintenance and also a way to log on to their website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts