Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blue CTD lever on my shock has become very hard to turn between the 3 positions. It's just that initial resistance created by the spring loaded detent steel ball that has become very high. Once it's overcome the lever moves into the adjacent position more easily, although still not as well as when it was new. But that initial notch that has to be overcome has become so high I'm scared I will tear something off soon. I'm pretty sure it's just the dirt under the levers. I have lubed the detent ball bearing which is partly exposed under the top of the blue lever - this has helped partially but I can still feel and hear grit underneath the lever interfering with free movement.

How do I take the blue lever off to clean the mechanism under it?

I was able to remove the red-pink rebound knob by loosening the grub screw built into the side of it (circled in yellow). But that has no effect on the operation of or the ability to remove the remaining 2 knobs (black trail adjust and the blue CTD knob). I see another grub screw in the shock body near the eyelet (circled in red) but I'm scared to touch it in case it's the damper gas chamber plug or in case it is holding the internal adjustment mechanism in place.

CTD.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the same problem with mine and read that you can't without disassembling a lot of stuff and then to get it back you'll end up sending it off somewhere so I wouldn't touch it anymore. What I tend to do is pummel red grease into it and rotate it through it's cycled to get it lubed, the grease then picks up then dirt wedged underneath and I clean off the excess dirty grease and add more fresh. I also sometimes use a tough but thick rag, like a shirt sleeve and wedge it under the bearing as it turns around and use that to get any big chunks out.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Similar issue on my 14 Float CTD w/ boost valve... Although just the 1-2-3 adjuster is hard to turn - not that I use it often but kinda frustrating and disappointed in Fox that their adjusters aren't more robust to the elements.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
I typically just spray it liberally with some rubbing alcohol while moving the lever back and forth to loosen any grit caught in the detent ball and pivot. A blast of compressed air and then some spray lubricant or WD40 usually finishes the job nicely...

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,341 Posts
I used a dry lube, found that it doesn't attract dust or dirt and it last much longer than anything that might wash out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts