·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought myself a 2014 Giant Trance 1 27.5

I swapped out a few parts:
1. stock wheelset for ZTR Flow EX
2. stock grips for OURY grips

I also want to lose the dropper seatpost and replace with a lighter traditional seatpost. I get it, dropper seatposts are cool, useful and new, but down here in South Florida, anyone riding with a dropper seatpost is fooling themselves. The longest climb is no more than 20-30 feet long with a whopping elevation gain of 20-30 feet! On the flip side, imagine this, the drops are just the same... Don't get me wrong, I've ridden in other states where a dropper seatpost has real-world use on sustained climbs and descents, so I'm, not knocking their proven benefits. I'm just trying to be realistic.

With that being said, I'd like to remove it and make a few bucks back. Is there something special that I need to do with the cable or lever? Thought I'd ask before I start pulling it apart.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
It depends on the model of the seatpost. If memory serves, you'll need to undo a cable just under the saddle clamp, and then remove the seatpost. The cable/housing and the handlebar lever can then be removed as normal.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another quick question: seeing that the seatpost is the Giant Contact Switch-R 30.9mm, what size quick release collar do I need? I'm assuming I need the outside diameter measurement. Looking to grab something cheap on ebay, any recommendations? The Hope QR w Ti bolt got good reviews for under $30 on JensonUSA.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Usually a 30.9 seatpost in an aluminum frame requires a 34.9/35mm seatpost collar. Best to double check, though. The clamp you have should be imprinted somewhere with the size.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Another quick question: seeing that the seatpost is the Giant Contact Switch-R 30.9mm, what size quick release collar do I need? I'm assuming I need the outside diameter measurement. Looking to grab something cheap on ebay, any recommendations? The Hope QR w Ti bolt got good reviews for under $30 on JensonUSA.

Thanks in advance
The quick release collar stays, not matter what seatpost you put on your bike.
Raceface Chester is relatively cheap and it is in 30.9mm diameter.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Almost no bikes with dropper posts are spec'd with QR clamps. They suffer from the same inexact torque issues as carbon seatposts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts