Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
Frame, Fork, Handlebar, Saddle, Seatpost, Wheels, etc.
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle Bicycle helmet Water Tire Wheel

1. Choose suitable cycling glasses.
☑ Prevent wind and sand
☑ Block the sun's ultraviolet rays and strong light
☑ Reduce and avoid visual fatigue

2. Pay attention to eye hygiene and bring clean tissues with you.
If sweat flows into your eyes accidentally, wipe it off gently with a paper towel. Don't wipe it with your hands habitually!

·
Cycologist
9,140 Posts
I ride in the forests so I don't have to worry about sun or sand. But it's not uncommon for me to catch a branch in the face so I wear glasses to protect my eyes from getting poked. I hate wearing glasses and very rarely ever wear sunglasses but I forced myself to wear them on the bike and now I feel naked if I don't have them on when I ride. I used to use clear lens but now I use yellow/orange as it helps with the contrast between where the sun breaks through to the ground and the shadows.

On the road bike, I need glasses due to the wind at speed and especially if it is cold.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,486 Posts
2. Pay attention to eye hygiene and bring clean tissues with you.
If sweat flows into your eyes accidentally, wipe it off gently with a paper towel. Don't wipe it with your hands habitually!
Seriously? This sounds like something written for prep school decades ago.

I typically have sweat pouring into my eyes on climbs like someone flipped the tap wide open. I’m lucky if I can see half the time. If I don’t drop electrolyte pills often and at the right times, I’m the life of the post party, writhing on the ground with successive bilateral hamstring cramping.

Clean tissues? For real? Band aids for boo boos too?

This is riding. Not dining with the Queen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For you older riders, check out https://dualeyewear.com. The lenses are durable, the yellow lenses are great for most lighting conditions, they don't fog, you can't complain about the price and the company is located in Boulder Colorado. I've got a pair of the SL2-X Bifocal Sunglasses. Poor eyesight, especially reading, is just part of getting older.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Seriously? This sounds like something written for prep school decades ago.

I typically have sweat pouring into my eyes on climbs like someone flipped the tap wide open. I’m lucky if I can see half the time. If I don’t drop electrolyte pills often and at the right times, I’m the life of the post party, writhing on the ground with successive bilateral hamstring cramping.

Clean tissues? For real? Band aids for boo boos too?

This is riding. Not dining with the Queen.
Really would like to, but same. On anything hotter than about 80 degrees, or lower if dew point is high, they become nonfunctional because I can’t see. Not from fog, from sweat all over em. Block the sweat, and it’s overheating. Winter and shoulder seasons, ride with em every time.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I can't wear glasses in the woods. I will wear goggles from about 55° and under. Road riding & desert riding, glasses. The one time I did injure my eye (scratched cornea, painful as HELL) I was wearing glasses. Branch simply hooked right underneath them and into my eyeball. Sweatbusters work.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,482 Posts
Sunglasses have saved my eyes many times.
Does anyone ride without would be crazy IMO.
Up north with our lower sun angle the sun is generally not as bright, so I generally go with my regular prescription glasses with thick black frames. The black frame around the optics absorbs some sunlight and kind of gives me a good in-between, especially because as soon as you enter the woods in places, it's like the lights just went out. Same in the PNW when I ride down there. Ride early on the dark side of a mountain or late in the day and it's just like someone flipped a light switch, even if there's good sunlight technically due to the sun angle.

Sometimes I do sunglasses, but wearing prescription glasses, your options are limited. Inserts are dumb as F and always fog up bad, plus they increase distortion significantly. Regular glasses and prescription glasses that do not use inserts still fog up and when you wear glasses, you usually can't just "ride without them" for a while, like other people can with sunglasses. We have some unique situations with temperature, pressure and humidity. The biggest thing pushing me towards surgery is the goddamn fogging. Nothing works, not soap, not cleaning, not anti-fog spray or clothes, not coatings, none of it actually works.

I do advocate wearing something though, for protection.

It's funny though how it's only in the warmer temps in the winter, like when it gets up to 32 degrees or something, when all sorts of people on the trail show up with goggles. At the speeds you are moving in the winter on snow, goggles fog pretty bad, so I'm not sure how they are able to use them, plus you aren't going fast enough to really get your eyeballs cold or worry about watering. When it's colder, you rarely see them, but you see less riders in general. It seems more the "fair weather" riders break out the goggles for some reason...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts