Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to pop out a stuck bearing out of a linkage?

I just found out that a small linkage bearing in my '03 FSR is busted (cap popped off, ball-clip bent, balls all shifted). It's the one that's in the top of seatstay connected to the linkage/rockers, on the drive side.

Anyway, I got a new replacement bearing for it, but the problem is that I can't get the old one out of the frame/seatstay. It seems to be stuck in there pretty tightly. I tried to grab & pull it out with pliers, but no success. Any other ideas?

FYI, inside the top of the seatstay between the 2 bearings is a shaft piece that has bolt threads and a hex hole in the middle (to hold it from spinning while screwing in the bolt).

A guy at LBS said to screw the bolt on the opposite side, and tap the busted bearing out with a hammer. Wouldn't I damage the bolt threads by doing so? Also, I'm not too crazy about having the stays experience some hitting impacts. I dunno, maybe it'll be all OK by doing this (anything I should keep in mind while doing this?), but I just wanted to check in here first.

Thanks in advance,
- PiroChu

Attachments

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
PiroChu said:
I just found out that a small linkage bearing in my '03 FSR is busted (cap popped off, ball-clip bent, balls all shifted). It's the one that's in the top of seatstay connected to the linkage/rockers, on the drive side.

Anyway, I got a new replacement bearing for it, but the problem is that I can't get the old one out of the frame/seatstay. It seems to be stuck in there pretty tightly. I tried to grab & pull it out with pliers, but no success. Any other ideas?

FYI, inside the top of the seatstay between the 2 bearings is a shaft piece that has bolt threads and a hex hole in the middle (to hold it from spinning while screwing in the bolt).

A guy at LBS said to screw the bolt on the opposite side, and tap the busted bearing out with a hammer. Wouldn't I damage the bolt threads by doing so? Also, I'm not too crazy about having the stays experience some hitting impacts. I dunno, maybe it'll be all OK by doing this (anything I should keep in mind while doing this?), but I just wanted to check in here first.
It shouldn't damage the threads if you only tap lightly. If it doesn't seem to want to come out, don't go pounding on it.

What you really need is a small arbor press. If you don't have access to one, you can jurry rig something. Find a socket (from a socket wrench set) which is slightly larger than the bearing, but not bigger than the bearing housing. Get a threaded rod and some nuts at the hardware store which will fit through the socket and bearing. You now have a little press which should push the bearing right out.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas & suggestions.

Unfortunately, I still couldn't tap it out (stuck in there real good). Took it to a few different LBS, too, and none could do it. Actually, one manage to break out the "inners" of the already-busted bearing, but now the outter ring is still stuck in the seatstay.

I didn't quite realize some of the "pressed fit" bearings are sooooo hard to get pull out. (By the way, is "pressed fit" pretty much the norm in all modern full-sus bikes? Just curious...)

I'm totally off the saddle until I can get this out. Bummer...

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
PiroChu said:
Thanks for the ideas & suggestions.

Unfortunately, I still couldn't tap it out (stuck in there real good). Took it to a few different LBS, too, and none could do it. Actually, one manage to break out the "inners" of the already-busted bearing, but now the outter ring is still stuck in the seatstay.

I didn't quite realize some of the "pressed fit" bearings are sooooo hard to get pull out. (By the way, is "pressed fit" pretty much the norm in all modern full-sus bikes? Just curious...)

I'm totally off the saddle until I can get this out. Bummer...
Your LBS couldn't get it out? That's pretty sad. Try an automotive or some type of maintenance shop. You really need an arbor press now. You need a pin which is just slightly smaller than the housing but bigger than the bearing. With a press it should pop right out. As I explained earlier, you could do it with a bolt and socket, but now you'll need to find washers which fit inside the housing, but are larger than the bearing.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
tlg said:
Your LBS couldn't get it out? That's pretty sad. Try an automotive or some type of maintenance shop. You really need an arbor press now. You need a pin which is just slightly smaller than the housing but bigger than the bearing. With a press it should pop right out. As I explained earlier, you could do it with a bolt and socket, but now you'll need to find washers which fit inside the housing, but are larger than the bearing.
How about a rubber mallet and a punch? Just drift that sucker out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hot water

This method isn't very popular since the socket works well most of the time. What you basically do is get some hotwater and either dip the pivot into it or pour it around it to get the metal to expand. Aluminum expands faster than the steel bearings so the bearings would loosen and you'd be able to pop it out. Check around the Specialized forum - there's a whole bunch of tips for fixing/cleaning bearings. Use the search on the bottom of the screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts