Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the last thread went . . . awry :madman:

Reply to this one if you want to give me rear wheel pivoting pointers and reply to the other one if you want to talk about car drifting . . .

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no. I tried to establish that and notice what happened . . .

It's not a static pivot or pivoting from rolling back either. It's pivoting from the momentum caused by the falling back from the front wheel.

Optimately I would like to do this:

pivot 180 around on my front wheel, and without rolling backwards, immeadiately grab the rear brake and pivot back around in the direction I was going.

HELP!

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Ick. You'd have to pull like a mofo to achieve that. Do you carry much speed when you attempt it? The only way I'd see it doable would be to somewhat tail tap it.

Note: this is hypothetical, I've never tried it.
As soon as the rotation of the back wheel starts I'd start to get ready to hop off the front wheel, land it rear wheel only and pivot. It'd look exactly like a 360 tail tap, but I'd replace the 180 by the 180 endo you a mentionning. Don't know if that would work?

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
learn how to do it without using your brakes. it is actually easier that way...

you should prolly learn how to roll backwards as well. pretty fundamental skill.

·
Registered
812 Posts
stay lowwwww,

learn to roll out fakie first

roll out fakie and practice turning the front wheel so you begin to turn in the direction you feel more comfortable with

learn to jack the brake at the right time, stay back and low, so that your front wheel leaves the ground while rotating

then learn to 180 hop right after jacking the rear brake

stay lowwwww,

its not very descriptive, but its how I learned, hope this helps

·
Registered
292 Posts
turning endo to twist/rear pivot

I've seen it performed many times (mostly trials riders) and i've been attempting it for ages now (though not on my new bike which should be heaps easier...don't have front brake yet). i'm almost completing a 180 endo + 180 rear pivot but it ends up more like 150 + 190 :mad: . my endo's suck. :rolleyes: also i'm sure it has an official name but i've seen it refered to as an 'endo-to-twist'. good looking street trick.

anyway exiting the turning endo i have my rear brake locked and simply continue my rotating body momentum through the move, going from endo to (briefly) two wheels on the ground to a rear wheel pivot. you will need to put some effort in getting the front up as soon as or just before the rear hits the ground. shifting your weight back (after being forward for the endo) and/or going into a single rear wheel hop will help you complete the rotation. also, i've found the slower you try and attempt it the harder it is to get full rotation so it needs to be done at a fair pace with power/explosiveness.

here is a small vid [238k] off a trials site of exactly how it should be done:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/sjs99/bike/tutorial/endothentwist.avi

here is a 'turning endo' move (the first half of the move you want to complete) broken down:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/sjs99/bike/tutorial/turnendowalkthrough.htm

hope that helps ya. good luck. :thumbsup:

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
starship303 said:
I've seen it performed many times (mostly trials riders) and i've been attempting it for ages now (though not on my new bike which should be heaps easier...don't have front brake yet). i'm almost completing a 180 endo + 180 rear pivot but it ends up more like 150 + 190 :mad: . my endo's suck. :rolleyes: also i'm sure it has an official name but i've seen it refered to as an 'endo-to-twist'. good looking street trick.

anyway exiting the turning endo i have my rear brake locked and simply continue my rotating body momentum through the move, going from endo to (briefly) two wheels on the ground to a rear wheel pivot. you will need to put some effort in getting the front up as soon as or just before the rear hits the ground. shifting your weight back (after being forward for the endo) and/or going into a single rear wheel hop will help you complete the rotation. also, i've found the slower you try and attempt it the harder it is to get full rotation so it needs to be done at a fair pace with power/explosiveness.

here is a small vid [238k] off a trials site of exactly how it should be done:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/sjs99/bike/tutorial/endothentwist.avi

here is a 'turning endo' move (the first half of the move you want to complete) broken down:
http://users.aber.ac.uk/sjs99/bike/tutorial/turnendowalkthrough.htm

hope that helps ya. good luck. :thumbsup:
Nice video and guide!

·
Registered
561 Posts
ok, you say you cant roll fakie, but you want a move which depending on how you do it. im a sport trials rider as well, and its still hard for me to do the pivot on a mod and its much harder 180 endo and 180 hop and go out forward on your bike, spins take time and practise, but work on fakies

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's the idea, but I need a job first. I've got no clue where to go. you said fosters, but I don't think I'll even bother. I plain just don't want to work there, but if worse comes to worse, maybe I might . . .

rolling out fakie, what's the best way to practice that? I've found I can start it pretty well if I endo and come down and move my weight over the back wheel. My problem with riding fakie that the slightest bend of my handlebars sends my rear hopelessly out of control for me, and then the bike slips from under me and I stick my feet down.

also, my sidehop needs some work. Only about half the time can I do it onto a curb, and I am never able to ride it on the curb, but I immeadiately end up riding off the curb. ]

The other half, only my front wheel lands on the curb and the back wheel smacks into the curb.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
dirtyharry said:
that's the idea, but I need a job first. I've got no clue where to go. you said fosters, but I don't think I'll even bother. I plain just don't want to work there, but if worse comes to worse, maybe I might . . .

rolling out fakie, what's the best way to practice that? I've found I can start it pretty well if I endo and come down and move my weight over the back wheel. My problem with riding fakie that the slightest bend of my handlebars sends my rear hopelessly out of control for me, and then the bike slips from under me and I stick my feet down.

also, my sidehop needs some work. Only about half the time can I do it onto a curb, and I am never able to ride it on the curb, but I immeadiately end up riding off the curb. ]

The other half, only my front wheel lands on the curb and the back wheel smacks into the curb.
I'll throw up some vids this summer. If worse comes to worse you'll have to way 'till june to try it haha!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
dirtyharry said:
rolling out fakie, what's the best way to practice that?
dirtyharry said:
my sidehop needs some work.
so basically your trying to learn two key elements to trials and street. on sidehops, springing up is key in doing it, also as with most trials moves, spotting your landing so you can stick it where you want. i have a 1x6 propped up a couple feet i can sidehop onto and land on the pivot and pedal kck off, or just clear over it, most of the trialsy stuff you want to learn will be tough on the bruiser, but possible. fakie wise, find a bank roll up and work on keeping your balance going down, no real tricks i know of, balance is key here as well. i found a good rig for cheap you should look into
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/227586/ defenitely worthy of checking out imo

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm, I wonder, if how much I'd get off if I asked for that without the derailler, shifter and front brake and bought those super cheap from my friend . . .

sweet setup! Looks like the suspension fork won't be an option for me financially for a while. No biggie I guess, but it will suck until I learn to drop right . . .

For that particular reason is why I didn't want to say what I was looking at . . .

who knows . . .

·
Registered
561 Posts
yeah, id just go sss, youll destroy deraileurs. fxed rear gearing, and 18t freewheel front. trialsinusa.com or webcyclery can supply most of your trials needs, but most of the trials stuff no matter what is eexpensive. gimme a ring and ill let ya know i ride thursdays a lot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.