Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
a lazy pedaler
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Please If there is another thread about this..point it out)

So guys...I read the Winter Commuting Cheat Sheet (good info btw)...but I haven't read anything about motivation....how to not loose it during the winter?

This will be my first commuting winter and today was one of the coldest mornings since the cold start to show up...I haven't bought the proper gear so I had the perfect excuse....but for when I buy it...

...how do you guys fight the need to stay in your warm bed and use that hour you need to commute to just stay there and avoid the cold commute?

today I took the wife's car to get here :madman:

·
Registered
269 Posts
martinsillo said:
(Please If there is another thread about this..point it out)

So guys...I read the Winter Commuting Cheat Sheet (good info btw)...but I haven't read anything about motivation....how to not loose it during the winter?

This will be my first commuting winter and today was one of the coldest mornings since the cold start to show up...I haven't bought the proper gear so I had the perfect excuse....but for when I buy it...

...how do you guys fight the need to stay in your warm bed and use that hour you need to commute to just stay there and avoid the cold commute?

today I took the wife's car to get here :madman:
Why not u take a break and cycle when winter end?

·
a lazy pedaler
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Shimano4

I really don't want to stop commuting....is just that this morning was so easy to take the decision....and I'm not happy about it.

@rayhead00

I started commuting on March...sold the motorcycle I used to come here in May...but losing her car is just not an option.

·
...a wiggle theres a way
214 Posts
i really suggest the right gear because it will make commuting a pleasure rather than a chore. I rode monday trying out the amfib (waterproof/windproof) tights i just bought and the sorel boots, and honestly i can't wait til the weather gets crappy - will i commute the full 23miles to work on those days no, but i'll ride the 4.5 to the train, and than the 1.5miles to work from the drop point.

I also stay motivated by knowing that i am doing actual riding, and that come spring i will be faster/stronger out of the box than most of the other riders that i ride with, plus on occasion i will be quicker than cars to the same location, and you get a ton of high fives and sweet baby jesus you ride your bike in this from people. plus riding in fresh snow after a storm is pure pleasure!

joe

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
x2 on getting the right gear. When you get new stuff you want to try it out.
For me, there is a point every year when it starts getting cold that I question whether I can/should/will be able to pull off riding through the winter. But once I'm in the routine of it, the days just slip away and I realize that I'm almost back into the daylight and warmth.

I would suggest:

-New gear, as mentioned. Get the gear for the temps you'll be riding in, and you can eliminate the misery and actually enjoy the ride.

-New bike parts, they motivate me to ride

-A bike that you really enjoy riding (Building my commuter bike from scratch was a major motivator for me to ride it every day)

-Keep track of your 'driving days'...this winter may be the first, but you'll want to do better next winter, and the winter after that... nothing like keeping track of your days to motivate you to stay out of the car.

-Reward yourself. Donut? Coffee? Spot of tea and a scone? Whatever floats your boat.

-Make it a habit. Once you ride all the time and drive rarely, driving becomes a bit of a nuisance. Your keys, phone, clothes, etc all find their way into your daily riding routine and getting all of your 'parts' in and out of the car and back into their proper place in your backpack/panniers/whatever for the ride tomorrow is a pain. You will prefer riding once it's your primary mode of transport.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah for me making it a routine works best. Set your gear up the night before so you wake up put on your gear and go.

A warm bed is nice, but you can warm up quickly if you push yourself on your commute. =]

Which leads to another fun thing to do, try and decrease your commute time by riding harder and beating your commute time from the previous day.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Last winter, I rode my bike most days and drove my car every now and then, typically because I was taking an off-bike day after a 'cross race, because I was taking an off-bike day before a 'cross race, or occasionally due to failures in motivation.

Driving in Seattle really pisses me off. Drivers here don't know how to merge. Whenever I drive during rush hour, I get to my destination agitated. When I ride my bike, I get to my destination in a good mood. That motivated me a lot.

When it snowed here (will it snow where you are?) my truck became a really poor mode of transportation. It's a 2WD pickup with the drive wheels in the rear, so without chains it's terrifying in snow or ice. The roads are poorly cleared here when it snows but not so poorly cleared I can just chain up and forget about it, and shadows can be very dangerous. On my mountain bike, however, riding through the streets to work was one of the most awesome things I've ever done.

And I'm too proud to ride the bus.

I think that once you get into the habit of commuting on your bike, you'll find that knowing you'll arrive in a better mood is a good motivator. Make sure you're adequately dressed - I don't know how cold your area is, but here in the winter I need wind resistant tights, shoe covers, a windbreaker over a long-sleeved jersey or base layer, full fingered gloves, and sometimes a hat that covers my ears.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@CommuterBoy

yeah you are right, I think part of my motivation lost is due to gear, bike parts, bike inclusive...

The bag for my rear rack has always been undersized, and if I want to deal with the winter gear plus office clothes I certainly need to upgrade that one.

The bike is a thing...I'm building a Pugsley after taking the decision between a commuter specific or that build...due to $$ issues and parts availability the pugs is not going to be ready until February I think....plus I spend what I had left upgrading the wife's bike (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=572262)..so although I'm happy for her...I'm kind of frustrated with my bike or bike setup if you will...changing tires between commuting days and weekends really sucks..yesterday I had to commute with my offroad tires couse I forgot to do it the day before....

I'm thinking about buying an old Rockhooper (90 something) that my LBS has just to have something new...I have a great Idea for my commuter ride but just don't have the money now.

Rewards?...mmm haven't thought about that...good point.

hehehe I track almost every ride hehehe is kind an obsession :p

@joshed

yeah...right know my times are too in the average section of my records...will try it....if I can do better times is also a way to stay in bed a little longer!

@AndrwSwitch

Here (Monterrey, Mexico) I won't see any snow or any extreme cold as you may have...may be 4 to 8 °C in cold mornings is what I will see...... I'm from Caracas, Venezuela...an extreme cold morning there will be around 12 to 16°C....although this will be my second winter here..is my first on a bicycle. :p.

you are right about the mood after a ride....I found myself more waked up when I get to work after my morning commute compared to when I do it on the motorcycle or the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To build on what Joshed said, I can clearly tell how much fitness I have lost if I skip commuting for a couple of weeks. I record every ride on my Garmin and upload into Connect which makes tracking performance/fitness levels throughout the year very easy. Setting new records and improving times is great but in the depth of a cold, nasty winter I will settle for just not losing my fitness level.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Crosstrain

in the winter sometimes commuting is the only riding i can get in due to the weather. I look to the weather and plan my commute and weekend ride days round it. it also doesnt hurt to mix it up the intensity-duration of your commute. Some days i could ride but dont ill go to the gym and lift or run. On other days when the weathers questionable ill get off the bus further from my house and walk the remaining 2 or 3 miles home.

Bottom line keep it eclectic during the winter months.. it keeps me from burning out..

·
ride the moment
824 Posts
These are all great suggestions. I'd say go ahead and buy that rockhopper and put some 26in slicks on it. It never hurts to have an extra beater-bike in the stable in case you want to take someone out for a cervesa :D As others have said, driving makes me angry and riding makes me happy. I've got warm clothes and a solid commuter so its really no question.

One more note on staying motivated... when all else fails I look at the money I'm saving. Don't just think about gasoline either, as routine maintenance and depreciation add up too. The IRS standard mileage deduction for business travel is $0.55 per mile. I commute 65-75 miles per week so that's $35-40 in my pocket. I drive a cheap car with good fuel economy so I might not be saving quite that much but whatever.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dogbrain said:
One more note on staying motivated... when all else fails I look at the money I'm saving. Don't just think about gasoline either, as routine maintenance and depreciation add up too. The IRS standard mileage deduction for business travel is $0.55 per mile. I commute 65-75 miles per week so that's $35-40 in my pocket. I drive a cheap car with good fuel economy so I might not be saving quite that much but whatever.
Great point! I had my car in for the 20K service last week - that was $780 before they started. New front brakes, new rear tires, and a 4-wheel alignment later I was up to $2,800. I could build myself a very nice cyclocross based commuter for that kind of scratch.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tell me about it...just after selling the motorcycle I paid a debt and had the money to build me a bike (in that moment I was going for a commuter for sure) but what happened? the refrigeration system of our car failed...$1,000 plus a couple of taxis...bicycle dream gone.

@Dogbrain

I'm going to the lbs today to check winter gear...will take a look on the rockhooper ;)

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
I'm prepared to be blasted for suggesting this . . . but when I start to loose motivation I start listening to a book on my ipod. Reason?

First, unlike music, when all you're hearing is words you can still hear what's going on around you so it's safe.

Second, you get into the story and the ride goes by very fast.

Third, you look forward to riding again so you can pick up the story where you left off! This has gotten me through some tough commuting times.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
I had the perfect solution until I read that you`re in MTY. I was going to say to leave the bike inside and park the car on the street. There`s nothing I hate worse than scraping a frozen windshield and I would probably ride my bike to the moon in order to get out of it! Otherwise, I say the "good gear" plan is the best bet. If you don`t use it after spending all that money, the vieja will scramble your eggs.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@Sizzler

actually that doesn't sound too bad to me ;)

@rodar y rodar

you can bet on that

@umarth

my english is not good enough to fill in the blanks...I'm just going to guess that should be funny :D

@Mr Pink57
20 pounds gone so far..and at least 20 more that need to go too ;)

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Actually, good gear doesn`t have to cost a lot. As long as you don`t buy stuff intended for bicycling it`s pretty cheap. Just remember layers, avoid cotton, keep it loose enough to move but no so loose that it acts like a big parachute. You might get some good ideas on Icebike.
http://www.icebike.org/

1 - 20 of 71 Posts