Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About once or twice a week I come across a deer directly on the piece of single track I'm riding, I often don't see it until it's seen me and has "frozen", staring at me. What is the proper procedure to get a deer to move along. I don't want to harm it in any way or scare it terribly, I'd just like to be able to continue on my journey without waiting forever for the deer to decide it is time to move on.

The deer around the trails in question do not seem to be very afraid of humans. Standing, waving arms, making noise, whistling do not make most of the deer I encounter run away, I assume this is because they are in a no hunting zone and frequently see humans on bikes pass by.

·
Danarchy.
107 Posts
Start practicing your bunny hops....

I've never had this problem before. With the deer near me they usually will be freaked out by you riding along and scatter away before you get too close, I'd say try and find something that they haven't heard or encountered before, and as much as it kills me to say this, maybe put a bell or horn on your bike. I'm surprised that they won't get out of your way. Maybe someone has more advice that they can offer.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Geez, seriously, this is a problem?

Try punching the deer in the face, see if that takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would just keep riding, the deer will eventually move when you get close enough. I ride and often see deer and sometimes when I'm doing trail work they walk by pretty close but when I'm riding they always move (just because they run doesn't mean they are terribly scared).

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
chas_martel said:

El oh el.

In my opinion, deer are like gigantic squirrels - i.e. they're really stupid. Take a noisemaker of some sort.

That said, I accidentally spooked a young buck (with a couple of does)- I thought it was going to charge me, and I was pretty nervous until we went our separate ways.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Deer , rats with hooves , don't like whistles .

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I assume you are in the woods since this is where deers like to hang out after work. Grab a small tree sapling and shake it rigorously like a crazed chimp. That will scare it away.
And if that doesn't work, just ask it to move with simple "please" and "thank you".

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
chas_martel said:

Run into one because it decided to cross the trail at the moment you are cliping along and you will change your tune. They are big enough to take most riders down if you run into them or them into you.

Mine came bolting out of the bushes. Completely broadsided it. Took both me and it down hard. Ripped the front hydraulic line right out of the caliper and I wound up with a bunch of stitches. The deer was dazed but ran away rather unscathed. Not fair.

So if riding with a bear bell is letting a deer dictate my life, then yes.

·
gravity fighter
547 Posts
It sounds funny, but I understand where the OP is coming from.
In just the past week I had a fawn running full steam around a blind turn and almost collided with me.
A few days before that, a big one jumped out right in front of me while crossing a log ride.
I just chalk it up to part of the fun. After all, we are invading their home turf, so to speak.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I used to run into this problem on a motorcycle but I never thought about it in this sense.....

·
ride the moment
824 Posts
chas_martel said:

It could be. +1 for dogs, although I favor a Pit over the sheep dogs just for the sake of personality.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
A deer can easily kill many breed's of dogs .

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wish we had deer to complain about on our trails. All we have are copper heads, a peacock and a bobcat. All seen on local trails in the past week in Dallas, but no deer.

·
iRonic
304 Posts
Stomp your feet, snort, and drop your head. ;)

Pretty common around here. The most dangerous parts of the trail are when the foliage is thick and they're hard to see before you get right up on them. Couple of times, the only thing I hear is a snort and snapping branches really close. Never see anything but a flash of brown.

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
The proper procedure is to make as much noise as possible so the deers runs off into the bush. If the deer doesn't run away assume that she has a fawn around and it's probably best to turn around and go back or find another way around. If it is a male deer and he doesn't run away then definetly turn around and give him a lot of space. More often they will run off into the bush.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts