Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2nd hand 04 Marz Z1 FR SL and I understand that these are adjustable for travel. Thing is the owner forget how much travel it was adjusted for.

Is there any way to measure how much travel was put on the fork?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The 04 Z1 FR SL....

was not an adjustable travel fork. At least not through any method approved by Marzocchi. There were two models of the SL, the Z150 FR SL and the Z1 FR SL. The Z150is a 150mm travel fork, the Z1 has 130mm of travel. The travel could be shortened up a bit but it was limited due to the "Dopio Air" system that zocch used in the fork. So unless the seller was into modifications it's highly unlikely that the travel is any different than the stock 130mm. Unfortunately unless you have tech drawings of the fork internals with specific measurements etc., there's no way to accurately measure the travel of a disassembled fork. But I would bet a cookie that the fork is set up for 130mm of travel. It's possible it could be less, but unlikely.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info... its been quite a while, but the owner was saying that its probably 130mm... I just want to know if there was any way to make sure of it..

I might have used the wrong word when I typed in "unassembled".....

What I meant was that the fork had not be installed onto a frame yet... and NOT that the entire fork had been unassembled into its different compenents..

sorry for the confusion there...

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Ahhh, now it....

becomes more clear. Sure you can get a pretty good idea of what the travel is just by measuring exposed stantion. Just measure between the bottom of the crown where the stantion is pressed in, to the top of the wiper where the stantion enters the lower leg. Make sure that the air chamber is properly inflated before you do this. The exposed stantion should measure anywhere from 5 to 20mm more than the actual travel of the fork, as most manufacturers build in a little extra to keep the crown and lowers from making contact under full compression. Not very accurate, but it will get you in the ball park.

Good Dirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.