Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cathro's latest How To Bike video just dropped and it's excellent. He does a great job of distilling cornering down to three primary skills: Line choice, braking, and weight distribution (fore/aft). The rest (footwork, elbows, twisting hips, etc) are finishing touches. He touched on something I've preached for a while, your tires don't care about how you're positioned on the bike, they only care how much weight is on them, they're rolling freely and where they're pointed. If you can get those three primary aspects right you're most of the way there.

· Registered
2,527 Posts
One of the more interesting technique vids I've seen.

Ok, going to take a chop here. You saw how he actually did use "XC" technique though, right? Before you start in, I have always agreed with him that it's use should be conditional.

One benefit to dropped outside foot that he mentions is room for your inside knee. When turning toward my back foot... I've noticed I drop outside more often for that exact reason. Didn't realize it until recently. Perhaps lack of float in pedals, longer dropper, and accumulated injuries exaggerate the issue for me.

· Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the more interesting technique vids I've seen.

Ok, going to take a chop here. You saw how he actually did use "XC" technique though, right? Before you start in, I have always agreed with him that it's use should be conditional.

One benefit to dropped outside foot that he mentions is room for your inside knee. When turning toward my back foot... I've noticed I drop outside more often for that exact reason. Didn't realize it until recently. Perhaps lack of float in pedals, longer dropper, and accumulated injuries exaggerate the issue for me.
Yes, everyone lowers their outside pedal sometimes. You have to to angulate the bike. I basically lower the outside pedal as much as I have to but it's to accomplish something else, not because having my pedal down is a benefit itself. The only time I intentionally shift my weight to the outside pedal is for the reasons he discussed. The problem as Cathro mentioned is weighting the outside pedal in every turn.

This goes back to focusing on the primary skills. If riders learn the primary skills, they will work out most of the foot position stuff naturally. However, if they're taught always do this one thing with your feet then they're going to develop bad habits.

· Registered
2,527 Posts
not because having my pedal down is a benefit itself.
Yep, still don't buy into that one (conditionally of course). Like I've said previously... for ME - I have greater control of traction in certain situations, much like dropping an inside foot out without dabbing/dragging. Not sure of the physics behind it, but I know that it isn't entirely based on angulation or bike/body separation.

Might actually have something to do with subtle control of fore/aft weight bias based on loading the outside foot while pulling up on outside grip. Maybe not something everyone does or even notices, but I know I do it when a corner is fast/loose/unsupported. Just a theory.

· Registered
374 Posts
Those are the conditions he mentioned for dropping the outside foot. It can be a good idea in that scenario.
What??
I just watched the 1st 7 minutes and he has outside foot down on practically every turn except the fast tight switchbacks where there isn’t time to switch back and forth.
And sorry, but weight transfer works laterally as well as fore and aft. Preach otherwise all you want; I know different. Correct weight shift on a bicycle is almost always subtle, because the rider outweighs the bike by xx. Sure, the exaggerated moves he shows is clown stuff. Goon riding.
No good rider does that when actually trying to go fast. But if outside foot down works in “fast loose unsupported “ situations, it works in all situations if one has the balls to go even faster.

· Disgruntled Peccary
7,134 Posts
I think it's one of those things where he's trying to impress that's it's totally secondary. So, for him, it's just unconscious. I agree though, putting too much emphasis on things that are minor improvements tends to outweigh the basics. Perfection, after all, is the enemy of good.

· Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What??
I just watched the 1st 7 minutes and he has outside foot down on practically every turn
Yep, it's very common to lower the outside foot some degree in a corner. This is different than dropping it to 6 o'clock every turn.

"And sorry, but weight transfer works laterally "

What part of the bike are you unweighting?

· Registered
8,583 Posts
For me dropping that outside foot often corresponds with me doing a lot of bad things on a bike. It seems to happen when I have gone full defensive. I am squatted really low and more often than not those arms are locked out in front me. All this leading to some really low cornering speeds.

I have found that applying pressure through my feet at the right time really helps me change direction. One of the best riders I have followed at doing this rides a high post. She is really good at pushing though those feet, finding traction and snapping through a turn. There is a lot “technically” wrong with the way she corners but she does it quickly and rarely hits the ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.