Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ride half the race (12 miles) with only about 1 1/4" of drive side pedal spindle. :mad:
Needless to say, I'm done with Crank Bros. I hate to trash a company, but these pedals have failed me too many times to count over the past 2 years. I was comfortably in 1st place when this happened and I almost quit. I decided to dig deep and keep going. Even with a subsequent flat tire, I managed to run, semi-pedal and fight my way to a 4th place finish at Fair Hill in MD last Saturday.

I am leaning very heavily to replacing the eggs with a new set of Times.

I weigh about 185 pounds, so if you're using the stainless eggs please beware. The same thing happened to my team mate (twice actually).

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That sucks.

Looks like the pedal body is bent in the middle (probably right where the spindle snapped). I've been running eggbeaters for 3 years now and only once had a problem when the bolt unthreaded and the pedal body slipped off the spindle. I have the older ones though, maybe the new style isn't as tough.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
That really blows that it had to happen in a race. I've heard horror stories about Egg Beaters, but I've never heard of anything bad happening to Times. Better luck with them instead.

You were probably in a race series? Did this fourth place finish hurt you much?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trek Classic Series

Drevil said:
You were probably in a race series? Did this fourth place finish hurt you much?
Yes, the Trek Classic series. I needed to finish the race to clinch the overall series win. It's probably the only reason I kept going and I wanted to finish in spite of my mechanical issues.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Perspective

I fought and clawed my way to an 8th place finish in the same race. I had no mechanicals to speak of, other than biomechanicals. I had to fight for each position I earned out there. I grinded almost to a halt on some of the climbs that Keith probably pedaled up with one pedal.

Don't let Keith fool you. He is the real deal. He is one of three local SS folks I look up to for inspiration with apologies for not mentioning MV and LW in this post.

Now hopefully he gets some Time Atacs! (Did you check out the auction link or are those pedals two heavy for you?).

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Since...

...the spindle still looks "straight" it might just be that the cage alone is not substantail enough for SSing. I run the Mallet C's with no issues for SSing.

Just picked up so Candies for the road bike. Even the smaller cage on those might better distribute the forces on the pedal and avoid this issue.

If you want some late model Time Aliums in black I'll sell em to ya cheap.

Sean

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Soupboy said:
...the spindle still looks "straight" it might just be that the cage alone is not substantail enough for SSing. I run the Mallet C's with no issues for SSing.

Just picked up so Candies for the road bike. Even the smaller cage on those might better distribute the forces on the pedal and avoid this issue.

If you want some late model Time Aliums in black I'll sell em to ya cheap.

Sean
The part that's left there is about 1/2" in diameter but the part that's snapped off is narrower. It looks like it snapped right across where the step-down on the spindle is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
same thing happened to me.

I was doing a ride that starts off with a pretty nasty 3 mi. fire road climb(tiger summit for anyone in WA). I got to the top, had a bit of water and set off down the trail. Less than 1 min. into it, my 'beaters broke in the same way. I had to turn around and ride with one foot down the fire road that I just killed myself coming up. :mad: I was SO pissed. C-bros sent me new spindles, bearings and bushings, but I am a bit nervous about them now. Is this a common problem? My other bike has candies. Do they fail often enough to warrent scrapping them for Times?

·
Master of the Obvious
497 Posts
Saw the same thing

Yep , I saw a competitor In the SS class Aug 1 at DORC in IL, who had the same thing happen, I wonder is it because SS'ers are pure badaZZ and the Lil eggbeaters can't hang? :confused:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Hmmm, I have Eggs on all my bikes. The one time the cage let go on me, was on my SS, when I was in good shape. Should I perhaps start swapping my Mallet C's from bike to bike?

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Manicmtbr said:
I fought and clawed my way to an 8th place finish in the same race. I had no mechanicals to speak of, other than biomechanicals. I had to fight for each position I earned out there. I grinded almost to a halt on some of the climbs that Keith probably pedaled up with one pedal.

Don't let Keith fool you. He is the real deal. He is one of three local SS folks I look up to for inspiration with apologies for not mentioning MV and LW in this post.

Now hopefully he gets some Time Atacs! (Did you check out the auction link or are those pedals two heavy for you?).
keith is fast all right. and i have to say that the only thing on my bike that clicks and creaks and makes me real nervous about breakage are my eggbeaters (and my carbon handlebars). they are the old original ones.
check it out, first hit on google image search for eggbeater, funny!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Time for a better design

I had the same problem back in July. It happened at the start of the ride on an uphill so it wasn't too dramatic. It was a strange feeling, I looked down to see my foot on the ground but I knew I had not tried to unclip. Then I looked at where the pedal should have been and saw the broken spindle with some leg hair on the end, mountain biker first, roadie second.
I called Crank brothers they quickly replaced it.
I'm still riding Eggbeater "S" on both my SASS and my Road Bike because it is too expensive to switch. At 220+ lbs I know this is a bad idea, the first pair broke in less then a year. Now that I hear others have broken them in the exact way I think it's time to switch. The worst part is I chose eggbeaters because they appeared to be made of thicker thus stronger parts then other pedals.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
so your the guy who my girlfirend said came in almost with the front guys with only one leg pedalling....

you and the rest of that SS crew are FAST!!!!! thanks again to you and manic for sayin hey!

i never knew how fast SS could be till i saw your guys' times!!!! RESPECT....

i got in around three hours (you guys finished in around 2???, again, RESPECT), just in time to see em breaking down the finish. they say on the website i DNF'ed; don't believe em ;)

i might be back next year if i practice enough... don't worry your race title will be safe!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me on the first lap of SITS 24hr race. Rode the rest of the lap on the stub, nipped into the trade tent at the end of the lap, bought a new pair and went back out.

They are the 2002 stainless model, which have been known to fail. They will replace them (being less than 2 years since I bough them)

My 2004 Triple Ti EB's have been great and floorless.

P::..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I was wondering what happened to you....

I saw the FH results and was wondering why you didn't win :)
I use to ride Times and loved them, I only switched to the Eggs because they were lighter....the two pedals felt pretty much exactly the same to me.
Get your self a set of the titanium Times.....you can get these on EBay for about $150 of less. I know they are expensive, but come on...you can't keep gaining more and more weight on your sweet ride :)

KMan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.