Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the name says I'm wanting to make my monocog which is my current race bike more competitive. as of now the only thing Ive done is flipped the stem down and cut an inch off the ends of the handlebars. Ive always raced with platforms before but after a year of racing SS i knew i needed something different for the climbs so i just ordered my first pair of clip-less pedals. i was also wondering how to cut the steerer tube shorter because i would still like my bars lower. any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Lighter wheels

monocog16 said:
as the name says I'm wanting to make my monocog which is my current race bike more competitive. as of now the only thing Ive done is flipped the stem down and cut an inch off the ends of the handlebars. Ive always raced with platforms before but after a year of racing SS i knew i needed something different for the climbs so i just ordered my first pair of clip-less pedals. i was also wondering how to cut the steerer tube shorter because i would still like my bars lower. any ideas would be appreciated thanks.
I have an older 'cog and the wheels on that thing are wickid heavy. If you can afford it, the best way to make a bike more race worthy is the wheelset. If you have flipped the stem and you still want to go lower, maybe look at getting a stem with less rise. Cutting the steerer tube straight can be tricky. There are websites that show you how using some different methods for getting a straight cut. Just do a google search. Do you have a local bike shop to go to? If you take the fork off and just have them cut it the cost should be low, and it will be done correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dude at my first XC race I got STOMPED, as in lapped repeatedly, by some dudes on SS, rigid cruiser bikes with fenders I could hear rattling from a distance. Their bikes weighed probably 30lbs. It was the most demoralizing thing ever.

Cliche as hell but make sure your bike fits the way you want it to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ha that reminds me of a story my dad has told me about when he raced harescrambles and this guy who was on a lil street and trail bike with mirrors and a horn a was kicking everybody's but and would honk the horn before he passed any one lol

·
Rider
16 Posts
"ha that reminds me of a story my dad has told me about when he raced harescrambles and this guy who was on a lil street and trail bike with mirrors and a horn a was kicking everybody's but and would honk the horn before he passed any one lol"

The guy was obviously better able to maintain momentum better than those he raced against. Proves it's the rider not the ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.