Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hope brakes with the old mini lever. the rear wheel is hard to lock up unless I pull it really hard and the lever feel is so much different to the shimano brakes which is not progressive at all. (ie: very firm bite).

I have changed new brakepads and thoroughly bled the brakes but they are still feeling a bit "soft" (not spoingy just soft and progressive), how can I dial it to make the lever feel more firm?

cheers guys

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope brakes are notorious for their high levels of modulation. You should change brands if you prefer lower modulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what do you exactly mean by modulation? Because by progressive I meant that the wheels just slowly come to a stop rather than being able to be locked up and skid

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Some people refer to the less progressive/more progressive feel as 'modulation'.

Meaning, it is easier on the 'modulating' brakes to control the power delivery, therefore considering it a modulated control of braking ability. A brake, such as Shimano, with a quick bite is often referred to as "non-modulating" because the power comes on so quickly when compared to other brands, such as SRAM.

I think you are saying the same thing, however just referring the brake feel to be one that slowly increases braking power.

Interesting, a fork/shock is meant to be progressive through the stroke but a brake lever is considered to be modulating.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Your current brakes take too much grip to lock up and Shimano brakes take too little?
I'm not familiar with Hope, but maybe SRAM makes brakes in between the two.

I prefer XT's, but my newest bike came with SRAM Guide T's. After feeling as though I was experiencing brake failure, I actually got used to them and thought they were okay. I still replaced them though as all my other bikes have XT and I had a spare pair.
You can get used to either.

The other option, I suppose, would be to try bigger discs, though that may not make enough of a difference for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some people refer to the less progressive/more progressive feel as 'modulation'.

Meaning, it is easier on the 'modulating' brakes to control the power delivery, therefore considering it a modulated control of braking ability. A brake, such as Shimano, with a quick bite is often referred to as "non-modulating" because the power comes on so quickly when compared to other brands, such as SRAM.

I think you are saying the same thing, however just referring the brake feel to be one that slowly increases braking power.

Interesting, a fork/shock is meant to be progressive through the stroke but a brake lever is considered to be modulating.
Oh right, thanks for that explanation as i was worried that it might be something wrong with the brakes. But if it is normal, then i guess i will just adapt to it. I was a just little paranoid as i was mixing that brake lever feel with "spongy levers".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your current brakes take too much grip to lock up and Shimano brakes take too little?
I'm not familiar with Hope, but maybe SRAM makes brakes in between the two.

I prefer XT's, but my newest bike came with SRAM Guide T's. After feeling as though I was experiencing brake failure, I actually got used to them and thought they were okay. I still replaced them though as all my other bikes have XT and I had a spare pair.
You can get used to either.

The other option, I suppose, would be to try bigger discs, though that may not make enough of a difference for you.
Yea not really. The fact that my hope brakes with 200mm rotors felt "less power" than my shimano 160mm rotors was the reason why i suspected possible "brake failure". I was expecting hope brakes to feel like xt on steroids but i guess not lol.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Oh right, thanks for that explanation as i was worried that it might be something wrong with the brakes. But if it is normal, then i guess i will just adapt to it. I was a just little paranoid as i was mixing that brake lever feel with "spongy levers".
Some folks unfamiliar with SRAM brakes use the same description as you used -they feel spongy or like they should be bled.

I have Level T SRAM and Shimano M-615 on my 2 bikes. The feel is 100% different. SRAM makes me feel like the brakes forget to work after coming from Shimano Bike. Likewise, when back to Shimano they are 'too powerful'.
My eventual plan is to move the Shimano brake to the the SRAM bike, and updage the Shimano bike to a better model Shimano brake.

I adapt to each but I want Shimanos on both bikes, partly because I like the Shimano bite and also so I have a similar feel between the two bikes.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This sounds like what I just went through with my Avids.

If I followed the standard bleed instructions, they called for bleeding the levers with the contact / bite adjustment all the way out and the levers felt like mush.

If I bleed them with the bite adjustment most of the way in and then adjust it back out a little afterwards, they're nice & firm and engage with very little lever travel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sounds like what I just went through with my Avids.

If I followed the standard bleed instructions, they called for bleeding the levers with the contact / bite adjustment all the way out and the levers felt like mush.

If I bleed them with the bite adjustment most of the way in and then adjust it back out a little afterwards, they're nice & firm and engage with very little lever travel.
Thanks for that info but my brakes do not have bite adjustment. Anyway i sorta dialled it now its firmer than it was and can lock up. Haveny testes on the trails yet but now im definitely getting those strong braking powers from hopes

·
Registered
987 Posts
A non-value add comment, but just to clarify, progressiveness would be the opposite of the initial statement made. Shimano brakes are very progressive (less modulation, more on/off feel), as you apply power to the lever at a steadily increasing the rate, the brake caliper increases its grabbing power quicker than the rate of brake lever power application, hence progressive. This tends to come from shimano applying approaches like servowave. Brakes that have a power increase that stays in a consistent with the application of lever pressure (more modulation, less on/off feel) would be linear, and less progressive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

G

·
I have hope brakes with the old mini lever. the rear wheel is hard to lock up unless I pull it really hard and the lever feel is so much different to the shimano brakes which is not progressive at all. (ie: very firm bite).

I have changed new brakepads and thoroughly bled the brakes but they are still feeling a bit "soft" (not spoingy just soft and progressive), how can I dial it to make the lever feel more firm?

cheers guys
If you are looking for a linear feeling brake, you should buy a set of TRP brakes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
... also, take a look at Magura's with HC3 lever. Those brakes allow you to "change" the modulation feel, and you can make them feel on/off (like Shimano) or spongy (like Sram), or anywhere in between. Probably the perfect brake if you'd need customization.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.