Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Single Speed GT Peace 9er with a few upgrades.

I find myself wanting gears but do not want to buy another bike. Is it possible to add 9 gears in the back without too much of a hassel?

How would I hang the derailer? - There are no no tabs on the frame for a derailer

The frame is steel so welding a derailer hanger could be an option. Has anyone done this?

Could someone post a part list of what it would take

·
Registered
4 Posts
unfortunately the GT Peace uses an eccentric bottom bracket to tension the chain, rather than a trackend/slotted drop out so you cant use the DMR chaintug/mech hanger

I would say your best bet is to get your hands on a new Shimano Alfine hub instead.

·
MONKEYMAN
791 Posts
29ERCAT said:
there they're all wrong,,,,,,,,heres how ya do it on the cheap,hone r.d. purchace a solid rear axel,the hone del. screws right on to the axel,no need to spring for a new hub.
Unless of course the hub you are using is a single speed hub (Why would you have a geared hub on a single speed bike?:rolleyes: ) you will likely need a new hub to put your cassette onto right?

but 29ercat is correct. "there all wrong"

Here's one of those Saint R der's at Jenson. $24 seems pretty easy on the wallet to me... You wouldn't even necessarily need a new wheel, just a matching hub and wheel rebuild. Here is a link for a saint hub

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this on my Niner One9 with EBB. Note I have two wheels SS and geared.
Cut a small piece of Shimano QR axle. Threaded it into the Hone der. Ran a tandem QR all the way through hub and der. You do have to make sure the axle in the der does not bottom out on the axle on the hub or your QR will not clamp the frame tight. Works great and is solid. In the future I will build a new wheel with a through axle. As it is know I can go from SS to 1x9 in less than 10 mins.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
ferg79 said:
I did this on my Niner One9 with EBB. Note I have two wheels SS and geared.
Cut a small piece of Shimano QR axle. Threaded it into the Hone der. Ran a tandem QR all the way through hub and der. You do have to make sure the axle in the der does not bottom out on the axle on the hub or your QR will not clamp the frame tight. Works great and is solid. In the future I will build a new wheel with a through axle. As it is know I can go from SS to 1x9 in less than 10 mins.
That is an awesome idea! When you say tandem QR you mean from a tandem bike?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.