Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

i wonder what it takes to strip paint from a frame in order to get the clear carbon surface?
Is it any different from doing this with an aluminium frame?
Will any painter's shop be able to do this or does carbon require special knowledge?
:confused:
Thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
Oh man, I'm no expert in this area but I cannot imagine how someone would take the clearcoat and paint off a painted carbon frame. You may just have to lightly sand and repaint over the existing paint. You can't sandblast it or chemically strip it or even sand it too much. Carbon, I would bet, cannot take that sort of abuse.

Hopefully, you want to paint it a darker color than it currently is. Otherwise, you will have to prime it light to "colorblock" the original color and then paint it.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
That's an interesting question. I don't know what kind of paint it is. That is a good place to start.

The one thing I can think of that may be the safest bet would be blasting with sodium bicarbonate crystals. It's not something you see very often, but it's done for special situations. I think a google search for soda blasting gives some results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do a search, it's been discussed before (I'm short on time). I think Hans says to sand.
A cool paint job would be to have the first half of the frame painted, then transition to clear, kind of how Rocky Mountain does their Maple leaf paint job. I like how on my orange mojo, the Ibis logo is a clear coat to the carbon fiber.

·
Keep Riding !!
167 Posts
As an example this BT Carbon Track Frame that was painted was sanded back to bare carbon and repainted (all by hand). I believe 'Wet & Dry' sandpaper was used at a fairly fine grade and took some time

It would be difficult to retain the 'Ibis' logo on the downtube perhaps a new Decal could be provided from Ibis

ps: Don't ask how long the re-paint took, I know that it has 5 coats of clear over the top & each coat was applied by hand a then sanded back !! and as for the pattern underneath & pin striping & other details that don't show in the photo :eekster: :eekster:

Attachments

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
AussieRider said:
As an example this BT Carbon Track Frame that was painted was sanded back to bare carbon and repainted (all by hand). I believe 'Wet & Dry' sandpaper was used at a fairly fine grade and took some time

It would be difficult to retain the 'Ibis' logo on the downtube perhaps a new Decal could be provided from Ibis

ps: Don't ask how long the re-paint took, I know that it has 5 coats of clear over the top & each coat was applied by hand a then sanded back !! and as for the pattern underneath & pin striping & other details that don't show in the photo :eekster: :eekster:
That is an INSANE paint job....sick. It probably cost more for the paint job than the frame :eekster: The bling factor is off the charts.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Yeah, hand sanding is probably the only safe way to prep the frame. With a skilled painter and some cash, it can be done but it will be expensive due to the labor involved. Look for guys who do wet paint; not powdercoat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i wouldnt dry ice blast it i do a similar thing with soda but you have to be very careful not to get into the weave with anything under pressure best sanding it a time consuming task for sure but safest IMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your answers, but that all sounds like i better go for a clear frame instantly instead of buying one in a color which i might like for only one season.

·
Keep Riding !!
167 Posts
ddraewwg said:
That is an INSANE paint job....sick. It probably cost more for the paint job than the frame :eekster: The bling factor is off the charts.
All work was done by the owner so just cost his own time & materials

btw its in his own family welsh tartan and is now built up with carbon tubular rims laced to Campag C-Record pista (Sheriff Star) hubs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.