Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always participating on road races a few months ago, and a few on XC races. I'm 15 with a BMI of 18.2 (I'm really skinny I know). I used to have a lot of endurance, I remember doing 10 laps straight maintaining a speed of 30km/h before I start on getting exhausted. After getting sick for 2 weeks, and not being able to bike or practice for about a month, I get real exhausted quickly. I got exhausted on 3 laps (on a 850m lap) and doing like 2-3 sessions on the hardest XC trail here in my area (which used to be easy). I just need advice on how to maintain my endurance and stamina before and during my race starts, which is 2 weeks from now. I'm eating a balanced diet and I run for like 30 mins in the morning. And tips? I think my diet is working, I just get really tired not like I used to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How close off the 1-month recovery/sick break are you? You'll lose short term fitness for sure, but assuming you didn't get long term damage (a la covid type lung damage), then the fitness should come back rapidly (like 1-2months).
I did felt like covid, but I was negative anyways. I just had a fever for a week and maybe some chill but I also lost a lot of weight because of it. Well I'm like 90% well now just not as tiring as I am now like I used to, I also didn't bike or actually did anything for a month (mom wouldn't let me) but I am okay now really just get exhausted quickly

·
Registered
701 Posts
I did felt like covid, but I was negative anyways. I just had a fever for a week and maybe some chill but I also lost a lot of weight because of it. Well I'm like 90% well now just not as tiring as I am now like I used to, I also didn't bike or actually did anything for a month (mom wouldn't let me) but I am okay now really just get exhausted quickly
Yeah, I mean, if you're less than 1-2 months since being sick and being sedentary for a month, just be patient with training/riding and try not to focus on the lost fitness. I know that's much easier said than done. Losing fitness sucks, but it's temporary, and as you're young, you have many peaks ahead of you :)

If, after a few months, you still aren't recovering, the next step might be a doctor if feasible.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
How long since you were sick, or are you still getting over (pneumonia?) symptoms?

Fitness Will come back quickly, but you won’t be ready for that race. Treat it as a training race if you do go at all, but that is a very quick turnaround and you won’t be on form.

I had to pivot and prioritize a race for October. 2 weeks ago My FTP power was down 25% and worst of all I had no v02 max power. So it really felt like a 40% loss on trails. It didn’t progressively improve either this far. I had a couple of breakthrough rides. Last Sunday I was just all of a sudden quite a bit faster. I tested FTP the next day and it was up 30 watts over the course of 14 days. That first test was done 2 weeks after going to the hospital for pneumonia.

My other issue is how weak my back got while being sick. That’s my biggest concern in my first race back, not how much slower I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
You're probably still recovering from being sick, it will likely take a few more weeks to sharpen up.

Don't skip the rest week: taking an easy week every three or four weeks is hard to do, but necessary.

One longer ride every week or two (for me that's 3-4 hours) helps a lot with fatigue resistance.

My personal opinion (many will disagree) is that a lot of 'normal' racers (not pro's or actual elite) warm up too much: I see racers all the time who ride for 40+ minutes prior to their race, then they fade late in the race with 30 minutes to go. What works for me is minimal warmup, - just enough to get breathing hard and get a little sweat going, then I'm less at risk of fading late in the race. The guys who train 12+ hours a week can do a big long warmup, but the guys who ride 5 hours a week probably are better off with a really short warmup.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
It is shocking on how bad you feeling initially coming back off an injury or illness. The good news is if you do it right form returns quickly. The trick is to train where you currently are not where you were.

My rule is a gradual return to full training over a period as long as you were out for. If you were sick for two weeks then you should spend two weeks building back to your regular training load.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I mean, if you're less than 1-2 months since being sick and being sedentary for a month, just be patient with training/riding and try not to focus on the lost fitness. I know that's much easier said than done. Losing fitness sucks, but it's temporary, and as you're young, you have many peaks ahead of you :)

If, after a few months, you still aren't recovering, the next step might be a doctor if feasible.
Got it bro, cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.