Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for tip formica

Thank you for the tip. I was worry that thieve might just cut down the tree just to get at the bike. May be I should rigg a an electric cable net to protect the bike besides the lock. I will bring a guard dog along too.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How to make bike less attractive to thieves?

How do you, someguy, intend to make bike not attractive to thieves? most of us on mtbr site have expensive bikes. Thieves will know high quality parts. The only way is to remove both wheels and put in car trunk. They still can steal the frame

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
"How do you, someguy, intend to make bike not attractive to thieves"

For a start I ride a fairly cheap bike. The wheels (Bontrager Racelite) aren't so cheap though.

I then cover it in political stickers and mud. Unfortunatly if you have a more expensive bike you may not wish to make your bike look bad, and of course people could steal it anyway for the parts.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Picard said:
thanks for the tip derby. I never thought of it by locking to rear seat.
I think some kind of a mantrap is in order. I suggest bring a rope and a string with you. Pull a nearby tree down to the ground securing it with a stick which can be easily slid out causing the tree to snap upright. Tie the rop off on the tip of the tree and then a large noose on the other end. Place the noose around your bike hiding it under leaves or loose dirt. Attach one end of the string to the bike and the other to the stick holding the tree down, hide the string like the rope. When somebody tries to take your bike, the string will release the tree and the noose will tighten around the legs of the thief pulling him up in the air and keeping him there (unless he has a knife) until you get back. Alternately dig and camouflage holes around your bike with poisoned bungee sticks implanted firmly in the bottom. :rolleyes:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
When camping, i have always just used a good length of chain, a lock, and a tree. Put the chain through the wheels and frame, and around the tree. Try to keep it as out-of-site as possible to people on main paths/roads.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You don't spoon your bike when you sleep? Fat tires make great pillows. A bash guard makes things a little more confortable. Watch our for chain slap!

·
Registered
552 Posts
We've done a couple things in the past, first is to lock it up to a tree, however if you are somewhere remote or have no trees around that's not a great idea, obviously. The best is probably to put it in a vehicle when you are not around, but again if you have 3-4 guys or more and just one vehicle that isn't going to work. If it's someplace with a local shop sometimes they will allow you to store them there as well.

One thing we've done before is get one of those cheap family room tents that will hold like 6-8 people and put bikes in there. At night someone is going to figure there are people in a tent and probably are not going to wander in there, the same can be said of if you are gone as well. If they do, they will break into a car etc. as well.

It's sad, but I know this year at least one person who was camping near us in the slickrock campground in Moab had stuff stolen from thier campsite. Putting a tarp over it may actually attract people to the bike since they may figure that if it's so nice you put a tarp over it, its probably worth a lot of money.

Bottom line is like anything else, if someone really wants to steal your bike they will find a way. But I think mostly it's doing just enough to make it too much of a pain in the ass to bother with.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Never had a problem

most of the time the bikes are laying under a tarp...some occassions still on the car(s) sometimes locked and most times not...Never had anyone F'with our bikes. maybe just lucky? plus we party most the night thru so there's a pretty small window of opportunity for a thief.

·
Banned
640 Posts
brado1

You the man again.
Here I am thinking what the hell am I going to do.
I do not want to go thru all that crap just to save my bike.
Then as you point out, well, who do you camp with?
Well then who would want to mess with your stuff?
No one, deep sleep, hard ride in the morning.

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Lock it to the...

grill. The last few times I have gone camping, the site had a metal grill which was cemented in the ground. I was able to lay my bike on the ground next to it and lock it up. Besides that, I have kept it in the rear of the SUV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.