Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built my M6 and was disappointed at the 29.1 lb weight after seeing some of the weights posted here. I'm trying to find ways to lighten it, but most either require a huge investment (carbon wheel) or a major compromise (no seat dropper, smaller tires). Do any of you have any suggestions?

M6 medium
XO-1 build
XT brakes
Lev integra
Maxxis 2.35 high rollers front and back.
Canfield brothers crampon ultimate pedals.

·
Registered
310 Posts
tough call, 29.1lb is pretty good though and the mach 6 is pretty heavy compared to lets say a bronson.

new lizard skin foam grips (i usually use peaty lock ons but love these)
lighter seat
remove the xo1 spider and replace it with a wolftooth direct mount chainring
carbon wheels

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Well, it doesn't sound like you have the cash for carbon wheels (I'm running NOX composites with I-9's) and you seem to like your High Rollers but they are heavy as well. Lighter tires that work just as well will probably save you 1/2 lb instantly

·
Registered
15,010 Posts
A lot of the really low weights are without pedals so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

You can get pretty light AL rims for $100/ea carbon is about stiffness not crazy light weight, but you can have carbon rims for $200/ea from Light Bicycle.

I would pimp out your rims/tires a much as you can afford and not worry about the rest.

Having said that running light tires to make the scale happy is a bad idea if they don't meet your trail needs 100% so be honest with yourself there.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
My advice is not to worry about the scale and just go ride. My Firebird fluctuates between 33ish and just over 35 lbs depending on what parts I'm running but that doesn't stop me from doing 30 miles and over 5k of climbing in a day. Weights are cool for bragging rights but I want parts that I don't have to worry about, that way I can ride like a total hack and not have to walk back to the car (usually) :p

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
The only place to really lighten the bike is the tires. If I remember correctly the HR's are 900 gram tires. You "might" save 400 grams by going to a Hans Dampf/Rock Razor or similar setup. Personally I won't go below 750 grams for my tires. Other than that, it is going to get expensive fast wtihout a whole lot of gain. My bike is just under 28 lbs with an uber bling build. Any lighter and things will start breaking.

To give you an idea how out of hand things can get, one of my friends is a weight freak. His HD has been as light as 25 lbs, but he also rides with no dropper and a seatpost that is 5" long. Yes, he stands ALL the time while riding. Don't be that guy...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
29.1 lbs is pretty respectable for a bike in this class,mine weighs approx 2 lb more with Highroller II's and am very satisfied with it,does not feel heavy at all on the pedals! will soon have Derby wheelset with lighter casing tires,the only area I care about weight loss is wheelset.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im with Ken.
I don't worry about the weight of my firebird, ive recently been using it to commute home from work 25kms for extra fitness for an up and coming Rotorua trip.
i even did a 60km road ride last week with fat tyres on it well

The extra training helped me fly past my mate last night up a really steep hill. He's riding a blinged Mach6

Its all in the legs. just ride the crap put of it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agreed

I agree with 'kenbentit' that most are trying too hard to worry about weight when the bike doesn't feel heavy at 29 at all when u r riding it. I want stability and no hiking back to the trailhead. I have NOX carbon wheel set coming and ride tubeless and other than that this bike is ironclad and ready for anything I can give it. Worrying about a pound or two is silly, IMHo

enjoy!

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
Im with Ken.
I don't worry about the weight of my firebird, ive recently been using it to commute home from work 25kms for extra fitness for an up and coming Rotorua trip.
i even did a 60km road ride last week with fat tyres on it well

The extra training helped me fly past my mate last night up a really steep hill. He's riding a blinged Mach6

Its all in the legs. just ride the crap put of it
Good call - riding the big bike far & often is the best fitness builder. For a while I rode a ReignX everywhere, including 50km road loops and I got fit enough to cane my buddies on the Anthems and Tallboys, which annoyed the hell outta them.
When are you going to Vegas? My crew have got flights booked on 7th of May which is a bit later than usual but should be still warm enough.

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
Heading there on the 18th April for 10 days.
Lined up a pad in redwood 5mins to the trail head.
It's my first trip the boys went last year and raved about it.
I'm really looking forward to it.
10 days is plenty long; have to break it up with non-biking days. We charter the shuttle during the week for a day. Lots of good riding around Taupo too, they've re-established many of the trails after logging.

·
Registered
15,010 Posts
I don't normally have any way to weigh my bikes, but I borrowed a bike scale from a buddy and weighed my current rig [SC Nomad] at ~35lbs. My new bike should be 7-8lbs lighter with over 1lbs dropped per wheel. Same travel/same robustness of build - just a whole lot more $$ invested in new rig. ;)

I'm really looking forward to less bike when I get to hours 3-5+ on long rides.

On sub-3hr rides I'm sure I will enjoy the lighter whip, but it won't be as big a deal.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going from a 35 lb. Firebird to a 29 lb. Mach 6 has been wonderful. I have much more stamina to make the punchy climbs found in Northern AZ. Riding the Firebird, I was cooked after long sustained climbs. On the M6 I feel like I can go forever. Its like MTB vigara. Would I like a bike in the 27 lb range? Yes. However, I'm not willing to invest the money needed to get there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.