Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all.

It looks like I'm going to have to tune my ol' Enduro (an '03 Comp) up and sell it... to fund the purchase of a Mongoose Khyber or Black Diamond Single. :(------------->:D

However, it was my first real mountain bike that I, you know, did things on.

Does anyone have any advice/similar experiences to share?

Thanks a lot!

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
I couldn't stand to sell mine either... so I sold the parts off it and kept the frame... it's a good compromise. I still look at that frame hanging in the garage and have good memories of it.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
40hills said:
I couldn't stand to sell mine either... so I sold the parts off it and kept the frame... it's a good compromise. I still look at that frame hanging in the garage and have good memories of it.
Not a bad idea... the problem is, I need a new bike by, like, July. :(

As for forgetting about it, I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I could sell it to a friend so I could go see it sometimes.... perhaps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a similar experience with my old Gary Fisher. I gave it to a friend when I got my new bike, but I wish I would have sold it to a stranger never to see it again. He didn't take very good care of it, and when I saw it again it was in sad shape. Make a clean brake and remember the good times.

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
How about a little sensitivity here! Cant you see, this is a dejected man!? (No prize will be given if you can tell me what movie thats from)

Why do you need to sell it? Could you ride your Enduro in "July" and just get by until you can save up for a new bike? My first real bike is thrashed, but I think it will be cool to have in 10 years or so to look back on.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Hardtails are easier: you can turn them into commuter/errand/beater bikes.

The frame on my "old old" bike is cracked, so I need to put together the new HT, so that the 2005 HT can become the utility/winter bike.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Enduroblood said:
How about a little sensitivity here! Cant you see, this is a dejected man!? (No prize will be given if you can tell me what movie thats from)

Why do you need to sell it? Could you ride your Enduro in "July" and just get by until you can save up for a new bike? My first real bike is thrashed, but I think it will be cool to have in 10 years or so to look back on.
Well, I can save up for a new bike without selling it, but it's the difference between a budget of $1500 and a budget of $1900, basically.

The reason why I need a bike fairly quickly is because of two things:

a) I'm in a growth spurt right now. My bike is a size small. About two months ago, I stuck it in the garage at my dad's house and brought the Giant over to mom's because the rear brake stopped working, the shock developed a leak, and it just was too bouncy to ride on the street, which is where I do 80% of my riding, anyway. (**** suburbs!)

b) I have nothing at all planned for my summer. I'm a huge geek and would normally spend all my time inside on the computer. Getting a new bike that actually fits me would help me do something productive during the summer, which is why I want there to still be summer left when I buy it.

I hope that made sense. :p

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Personally I sold my first mtb (old GT). I had loads of fun on it back in the day and I credit it for re-igniting my passion for riding bikes but it’s just a bike. Felt bad as I drove away but got over it pretty quickly. The guy who bought it totally destroyed it apparently – a friend of mine sees the guy now and again. I also sold a Colnago road bike (first road bike) after I was done with it as well. I’m the type of guy that gets rid of stuff if I’m not using it. Sometimes I’ll try to convince myself not to sell it, feel bad for a very short time but, before long, it’s gone.

There is only one bike that I currently own that I will not part with - ever. The three others are game for selling if I find they’re not being used or I purchase something new. I have one bike for each style of riding that I take time to do; 1 mtb, 1 road, 1 CX, that’s it.

Sell it if you need the cash.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
God, I still don't know.

What I think I'm going to try to do is buy a Black Diamond Double or something on eBay for $1000 or so.

Another thing is I can head over to my LBS and see what they have.

Hopefully, I won't have to sell it..... :)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
If it is too small for you, definitely let it go

or are you going to keep it for your grandchildren?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sell it, sell it, sell it. If you're looking to upgrade, you're probably not going to keep any of the 5yr old parts for yourself to put on a new frame. Old individual parts, or a 5yr frame won't bring much money on their own. But all together, that '03 Enduro is still a valid design and likely in very good condition based on your affection. Keep the bike intact, and set it free to another life. Or donate (think of the Karma). Personally, I would be much happier knowing the bike is being ridden, enjoyed, and bombed down some trail by a rider grinning ear to ear. Much better than collecting dust in a garage only to be tripped over and maybe spun around the block once a year. Just my $.02 ;)

·
bust a move
1,978 Posts
My first "real" mtb has been gone a long time now and it can still make me smile anytime I remember it. Kinda like my favorite dog who has been gone a long time also.

Let it go!

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I always regret selling a bike

because I've put a lot of time and energy into it. I still have images in my mind of the bike as it rolls away. Now that I look back at them though, they were stepping stones to where I am now with my riding. At the same time I know that the person who got the bike got something nice and the bike will bring them forward in their riding. It is all a part of moving on.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I sold my first real bike (2006 Hardrock Sport) to the Pastor's son. I really didn't want to sell it but my bike collection was growing. I had bought a 99 Specialized FSR, a 2006 Yeti AS-X frame to build up, and a 2008 Trek 7.3FX and 4 bikes was a bit too much for my needs. In addition, since I bought my FSR, I found myself not really riding the Hardrock that much so I figured someone else would get better service from it.

I do miss that bike every now and then :(

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.