Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Here ya go

First pic is a Hadley hub with ISO rotor mount. The second pic is a set of Shimano Sant hubs with Shimano's center lock mount. The third pic is a Saint front hub that is not disc compatible.

Attachments

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
The third one is a Saint? What kinda alloy did Shimano use for that one? ;)

The main thing to look for on a hub to tell if it is disc compatible or not is the six bolt holes to which you would mount the rotor (the disc). You can see on the Hadleys or the Kings that they have those six holes on the left side for the bolts to go.

The new Shimano splined system is a little different, you can see in the Saints they have that little splined strip which is where the rotors would attach. You only see those on Shimano though, the majority of systems use the standard 6-Bolts.

A little hint to recognize a standard non-disc hub is that standard non-disc hubs are usually symmetrical in that both sides are mirror images of the other.

Hope this helps :)

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I think....

Shayne said:
That first pic, the White Industries rear hub, is drum or disc compatible.
... that is a rear hub for a tandem. The threaded area is for the drag drum brake. Normally, you use rim brakes, but since tandems weigh so much (with two riders) they add a second drum brake operated by a seperate lever to use as a drag brake for long decents. Otherwise, you would smoke the rim brakes, overheat the rims and melt the innertubes resulting in a nasty crash.

I could be wrong.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Yup, a Tandem Hub

I was just being pickey.

Technically it is drum and disc brake compatable. I have a Phil hub similar to that with a Hope rotor that threads on....and its a huge pain in the ass to get the rotor off the hub as every time you brake it threads on tighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.