Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my energy level as I'm on a strict diet right now of uber low calories which pretty much exclude any carbohydrates. So right now I've been hitting the trainer for about an hr spread throughout the day (usually a 20min morning, 20 min evening, 20min before bed) and taking in only 1000-1200 calories/day.

For those of you who are buff into training and weight loss, how do you guys keep up the energy level throughout the rest of the day? Are you guys eating an all protein diet or what? I feel sometimes exhausted, any ideas of getting more energy into the body but without the cals? I'm losing weight that's not the problem...it's just maintaining the energy level throughout the day

I'm trying to shed off about 30lbs of excess beer gut accumulated from the college lifestyle hahah :p

·
Registered
740 Posts
-=phelan=- said:
I'm having a problem with my energy level as I'm on a strict diet right now of uber low calories which pretty much exclude any carbohydrates. So right now I've been hitting the trainer for about an hr spread throughout the day (usually a 20min morning, 20 min evening, 20min before bed) and taking in only 1000-1200 calories/day.

For those of you who are buff into training and weight loss, how do you guys keep up the energy level throughout the rest of the day? Are you guys eating an all protein diet or what? I feel sometimes exhausted, any ideas of getting more energy into the body but without the cals? I'm losing weight that's not the problem...it's just maintaining the energy level throughout the day

I'm trying to shed off about 30lbs of excess beer gut accumulated from the college lifestyle hahah :p
Are you eating 5-6 small meals a day? That might help with energy levels since you are eating more periodically.

Oh, and instead of doing those 3 sets of 20 minute trainer sessions, have you thought about just doiing one set of High Intensity Interval Cardio Training (HIIT)? Might work better than the 3 sets of 20 minute rides. More here... http://www.davedraper.com/hiit-cardio-training.html

·
Registered
204 Posts
you are not eating enough! you are going to cannibalize your muscles if you keep that up. if you are training you need some carbs. Atkins is for sedentary people too lazy or otherwise unable to exercise, if you are doing 1 hour/day on the trainer you don't fit this profile.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Seconded! All protein diets are NOT GOOD FOR YOU. As an athlete, you *need* carbohydrates. The above poster is right - continuing on your present course will cause muscle cannibalization, and worse. With your diet, you will not make any performance gains, and you will most likely end up very sick while suffering staggering performance losses.

That being said, eat more (5-6 times a day, as noted above), and eat 2-3 servings of fruits and vegetables at each meal. Also, 1000-1200 kcals a day is dangerous. At most, you want to reduce by 500-700 kcals a day to lose about 1lb/week. Unless you are under the direction of a nutritionist, you need to reconsider your decisions. Your body needs at least 1600-2000 kcals/day just to function!

I don't mean to sound condescending, but this type of diet is not healthy! I think I speak for most of the others here when I say, "we're worried."

Good luck, and post questions!

If you are into reading, check out "The Paleo Diet for Athletes". Excellent nutritional guidelines are outlined in that book.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
i third that!

zhen said:
Seconded! All protein diets are NOT GOOD FOR YOU. As an athlete, you *need* carbohydrates. The above poster is right - continuing on your present course will cause muscle cannibalization, and worse. With your diet, you will not make any performance gains, and you will most likely end up very sick while suffering staggering performance losses.

That being said, eat more (5-6 times a day, as noted above), and eat 2-3 servings of fruits and vegetables at each meal. Also, 1000-1200 kcals a day is dangerous. At most, you want to reduce by 500-700 kcals a day to lose about 1lb/week. Unless you are under the direction of a nutritionist, you need to reconsider your decisions. Your body needs at least 1600-2000 kcals/day just to function!

I don't mean to sound condescending, but this type of diet is not healthy! I think I speak for most of the others here when I say, "we're worried."

Good luck, and post questions!

If you are into reading, check out "The Paleo Diet for Athletes". Excellent nutritional guidelines are outlined in that book.
your body needs carbs for energy. if you are trying to lose weight then you need to be judicious about the carbs you take in rather than cut them out entirely.

although you are losing weight now, if you continue not giving your body ready energy and then exercising your body will eventually shut down, go into calorie conservation mode, and, as zhen & 05stumpy said, begin cannibalizing itself for energy. this in turn will cause your body to hang onto every calorie that it takes in while converting precious muscle for energy. translation: you'll stop losing weight AND you'll be exhausted all the time.

i would strongly suggest making an appointment to see a sports nutritionist to help you set up a diet that will allow you to lose the weight you want while maintaining your energy and activity level.

oh, and if you're wondering how i know this it's because i did something similar my first season on a regimented training plan to race expert. i was not trying to lose weight but simply didn't realize how many calories i really needed/day to maintain my energy output. at 5'1", 105 lbs i was taking in the same number of calories you are now (~1500/day). and i was trying to train 6 days/week and race 2-3 times/mo. after about 6 months of training and 3 months of racing i was constantly exhausted. my MD ran blood tests, looked into metabolic problems, anemia, and finally suggested maybe i had chronic fatigue syndrome. :eek:

i finally went to see a nutritionist at the sports science center at Georgia Tech who had me keep a food log for a week (as well as doing a variety of other things including a body fat test [not a caliper test] and an assessment of my basal metabolic rate [BMR]). one look at the food log in conjunction with the other info she collected and she knew exactly what my problem was: not enough calories. my BMR had me burning approximately 1400 calories just to exist each day. that didn't include any exercise. on top of that i was probably burning another 1500 calories training. that's 3000 calories/day just to maintain my weight and energy level. and that's for someone who is 39 y.o., 5'1", and 105 lbs. i'm sure you are bigger than i am.

diet safe and you will lose the weight and maintain your energy level. the exhaustion you feel is your body telling you something is wrong. listen to your body.

rt

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
-=phelan=- said:

Who in the heck put you on such a "strict" diet that only 1000-1200 calories per day was prescribed? Dang, I need about 1800 calories per day just to lay in bed and sustain vital organs.:thumbsup:

Run, don't walk, and buy Chris Carmichael's Food for Fitness, Eat Right to Train Right.

Personally, I lost 30 pounds on the Atkins Diet from October of 2004 to summer of 2005. Dropped from 212 pounds to 182 pounds and have maintained that weight ever since, but the entire time I never was eating less than 3,000 calories per day. Nor did I ever feel low-energy, exhausted or drained. I cycled the entire time and contrary to what far too many people believe, beyond the first 2 weeks of induction, the Atkins Diet was not a "no carb" diet, but a "lower carb" diet. At the time, the Atkins website had a section for those that participated in strenous exercise. There were tables based on weight, height, amount of exercise to help guage how many grams of carbs were to be eaten per day. For my size, a sedentary person would have been eating less than 95 grams of carbs per day. However, the table informed me that the amount of exercise I was doing recquired 150 - 350 grams of carbs per day (depending on the intensity) to fuel my exercise. Still not as high as what I eat during the mountain bike racing season, but certainly not a "no carb" diet. I did learn what kind of carbs to be eating for maximum benefit. Fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole grains, etc... .

Since then, I have been educating myself on the proper types of carbohydrates and nutrient rich foods to be eating and what to avoid to change my lifestyle. Nutrient rich quality carriers vs. the dreaded pollutant carriers leads to the obvious of no more french fries, no doughnuts, no trans-fats, no high-fat meats, no fried chicken, no candy, etc... . Pretty much any source will point you in that same direction.

We don't know how much you weigh, but can assume that 1000 - 1200 calories is too little of a daily intake and your body is exhausted due to running such a high caloric deficit. In other words, if your body was a checking account - the checks are bouncing. Big time. The account is empty.

It simply sounds like you are running too much of a deficit to maintain energy levels and are losing weight much too fast. That's quite a shock on your body and the exhaustion/energy levels are the feedback your body is giving you to tell you that.

Expand your time horizon to lose the 30 pounds of weight. Nothing wrong at all with shooting for a 8 month to full year time horizon to do it safely and build good habits to keep it off with the lifestyle change.

Best of luck with your weight loss, but the red flags are waving with the amount of calories you are consuming.

BB

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
Yep, yep, yep. Everyone here is right. You need to eat more.

I use a calculator like this one to figure out how many calories I burn a day. Then eat enough calories to have a 500-700 calorie deficit as mentioned before. Remember this is a rough estimate. I also factor in true hunger feelings to help me figure out how much to eat. I tend to go to bed a touch hungry.
http://preventdisease.com/healthtools/articles/bmr.html

·
2,826 Posts
Caffeine - lots.

Oh yea, more carbs too like everyone else has said. Eat half a bagel for b-fast and the other half around 3PM. This should help give you some more energy!

·
XCdude
1,328 Posts
Well you are on your way to get really sick

if you keep that up,:nono: 1200 calories is not enough for a small child. You need carbs for energy and protein for muscles grow and repairs. I know you want to loose your 30lbs, but if you ride enough and dont eat breads, soda ,chips I can bet you you will loose all that weight in less than 6 months without any crazy hollywood diet. I went from 210 to 175 in less than a year, and I eat enough sweets(hummmmm) to feed a couple of families. All I did was ride and cut soda out.

So be careful:eekster: :eekster:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here so don't slate me on my first post.
Why has no one mentioned HR training zones? I'm of the belief that training at 50-60% of Max HR is the fat burning zone and will therefore get rid of the OP's beergut.

Secondly, eat more.
Thirdly, buy an HRM, it'll show you how many calories you burn while training.
Fourthly, eat more. ;-)

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
the taffster said:
Hi guys, I'm new here so don't slate me on my first post.
Why has no one mentioned HR training zones? I'm of the belief that training at 50-60% of Max HR is the fat burning zone and will therefore get rid of the OP's beergut.
According to CTS, low-intensity riding below 50% of maximum effort is when fat supplies the majority of one's energy. So going out for some 3 - 4 hour low intensity rides (below 50% of maximum effort) would address your suggestion to OP. However, OP is going to need more calories per day to sustain life and support exercise to remain healthy.

BB

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not Enough!

YIKES! Like EVERYONE has said. That's not enough calories. You're gonna do more harm that good. Immune system will struggle, you'll get sick etc., etc.,

Having said that I'm cutting back on calories right now too. Watching portion sizes, calories, and eating quality "clean" snacks like apples, oranges, etc.,

Portion size is key. I used to put away about a 1/2 box of pasta (about 800 calories right there) for now I'm eating more brown rice (2 servings at 300 calories)

I've been using trainingpeaks.com to track my calories etc., right now I'm probably taking in about 2,000+ calories per day, but burning off about 1,000 in my work outs. Truthfully I need to start eating more as the work outs start getting harder. I'd rather be 5lbs. overweight and strong that 10lbs. lighter and DNFing.:p

Also, don't try that low carb b.s., You'll be glad come work out time.

Good luck.

·
Banned
20,161 Posts
-=phelan=- said:

you're over dieting and your diet is going to fail

you need to count calories, and undereat by maybe 500 calories to 750 calories per day

you're going to "bounce" and gain all that weight back, and probably more ... you're a time-bomb waiting to go off

taking weight off and keeping it off ... takes a long time .. triple, or more .. your time estimate of how long "you've got" to lose weight

change your lifestyle w/ respect to eating ... severe dieting like you are doing, is destined to fail

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I lost about 30 pounds last year. What really helped me was a food log. Try fitday.com. This helped me to see what I was eating. I tried to eat around 1200 cals a day but just couldn't do it two days in a row. I did notice that even though I was lifting weights for an hour four days a week and doing hard cario 6 days a week, if I ate more than 2000 cals a day, I'd gain weight. I shot for 1500 to 1800 cals a day but wouldn't sweat it if I went over or under a little. I allowed myself a cheat day once a week where I wasn't concerned at all about cals/carbs. During this day, I wouldn't gorge myself but I wouldn't worry about what to order when at a restaurant even often did all you can eat chinese. :thumbsup:

Diet focused on carbs low on the glycemic index (no processed carbs) any breads needed to be stone ground whole wheat. I tried to make sure most of my cals were a combo of protein and unprocessed carbs. Lots of veggies because they make you feel full longer. Didn't worry too much about ratio of carbs to protein to fat. Weighed myself everyday to motivate myself but didn't worry if I gained because I could see my graph that showed I was steadily losing weight.

I also never got any calories from drink and made sure I drank lots of water. I noticed that I was getting up at least once a night to go to the bathroom. Didn't eat before I exercised and never used sport drinks. I tried to wait an hour after exercising before eating (started exercising at 5am). I found that eating 5 meals a day was good for me. I tried six for a while but I seemed to stop losing and even gained a little. Took me 6 months to lose the 30 pounds.

Even though I lost weight, I felt like I was in the best cycling shape I've ever been in last year. It's amazing how easy it is to climb when you drop 30 pounds. Hopefully now that I don't have to focus so much on losing weight, I gain improve even more this year.

·
Banned
20,161 Posts
*rt* said:
although you are losing weight now, if you continue not giving your body ready energy and then exercising your body will eventually shut down, go into calorie conservation mode, and, as zhen & 05stumpy said, begin cannibalizing itself for energy. this in turn will cause your body to hang onto every calorie that it takes in while converting precious muscle for energy. translation: you'll stop losing weight AND you'll be exhausted all the time.

rt
Excellent! writeup in your total post.

He is in the "shut-down" mode right now. The fact he can only sustain 3 brief (20 min.) periods of exercise, indicates that. His body is cannabilizing and growing vastly weaker, it is hanging onto every calorie in protection mode, right now, I suggest.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.