Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months I've been "training" for a 24 hour 5 man race. Nothing crazy, just hitting the stationary bike at the gym and doing interval training for 40 min to an hour + 20-50 offroad miles per weekend. I'm also trying to eat right, have cut out alcohol, and don't party anymore to make sure I get plenty of sleep. At this time, a lot of my decisions in life are based on whether or not they are aligned with the race, e.g. I quit playing in a rock band because that was taking away 1 night of gym time + 1 night of gigging per week, which equated to alcohol+ staying up late). I actually feel as though I'm in the best shape of my life (I'm 27) right now and I'd like to keep it that way, or even continue to improve on my fitness... but I'm afraid that I won't have the motivation to keep training this hard after the race (which is in 2 weeks). For those of you that don't race or don't really partcipiate in major events, how do you keep the motiviation to continue training? I suppose I could shoot for more big events and races down the line, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do. I like to stay healthy but I'm a lazy ass mofo.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I do not train for any event specifically.

I try to keep it fun. I just picked up a single speed to try something new. I ride with people, ride different trails, ride the road from time to time. Just try to make it a good time.

I also think about the fact that I am in the best shape of my life, and much better shape at 30 than I was in my 20s.

Finally, it sounds corny, but everyone in my family dies early from heart disease. I have two kids, and I plan on spending as many years as possible with them. I try to remove all heart disease risk factors possible, because I know my genes are bad.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the "keep it fun" advice is the best. Also realize that the hardest part of staying with a lifelong fitness commitment is to rebound after the slow periods. It's impossible to stay motivated all the time so accept that there will be occasions when you just don't feel like riding or need a change of pace. When your biking starts becoming an obligation then you will have problems so mix things up and spend some time away from the bike altogether. Do other things that keep you active - throw a frisbee with friends, go on a vigorous hike, try kayaking or something completely different. Don't be afraid to just chill either. There's nothing wrong with a little down time to recharge your body and your psyche.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
For me personally there is a certain fitness necessary to make mountain biking fun. It it is the fitness necessary to reach the "Speed of fun" as I call it. Back when we had our first child, I said. OK forget about racing for now, just ride for fun, enjoy being outdoors ride to smell the roses and yada yada, blah blah.

Well after losing the little fitness that I had, mtn biking was actually not that fun anymore. Coughing a lung up on every climb and not having that fitness necessary to shoot over the rollers and keep the momentum going to 'fly' on the single track sucked. And it wasn't fun anymore.

So started applying some basic Morris principles, 2on 2 off, 3 on 3off. short durations, and within a little while, Wallla. I had some fitness back (not much endurance) but the speed of fun was achievable and it was good.

Just another perspective. For somethinig to train for when you don't have a specific race.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Life is about cycles, build up, build down. Work, rest, grow, plateau, rinse and repeat.

After this 24 hours race you SHOULD wind down a little. And for the sake of all that's holy, don't stop playing music and gigging. You won't know how few those opportunities will be in the future.

Then after decompressing and recovering from the race, find another challenge and build up to that. You do want to build on the base you developed for this race, but you will need rest to do that. Give yourself an easy week or two and then start on your next motivation.

Ron

·
2,548 Posts
Greenfix said:
I do not train for any event specifically.

I try to keep it fun. I just picked up a single speed to try something new. I ride with people, ride different trails, ride the road from time to time. Just try to make it a good time.

I also think about the fact that I am in the best shape of my life, and much better shape at 30 than I was in my 20s.

Finally, it sounds corny, but everyone in my family dies early from heart disease. I have two kids, and I plan on spending as many years as possible with them. I try to remove all heart disease risk factors possible, because I know my genes are bad.
Sums my thoughts up perfectly...nothing to add :cool:

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i say stay in the band, have your fun, but also ride. you do not need biking to stop your life. its just an unusaually strong obsession. just ride for fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.