Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a good trick to keep the saddle from sliding fore and aft in a single-bolt seatpost clamp (other than the obvious "replace it with two-bolt clamp")? Tightening the &%$* out of it is not the answer either. If I tighten it any more, I will probably shear the bolt.

Thanks.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Loctite

Adirondack Blues said:
Anyone know a good trick to keep the saddle from sliding fore and aft in a single-bolt seatpost clamp (other than the obvious "replace it with two-bolt clamp")? Tightening the &%$* out of it is not the answer either. If I tighten it any more, I will probably shear the bolt.

Thanks.
I would try cleaning the rails and rail tracks really well with a degreaser, and drop in a few fat drops of red loctite. Loctite is made to take up the gaps between the metal bits to grip them. It comes off easily when you want it to.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
A few wraps of PVC electrical tape on each seat post rails will give the clamp something to grip when tightened and as a bonus keep it squeak free.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Chalk.....

extensive said:
use a 2 part epoxy glue from a hardware store.
Try some chalk on the rails like the stuff weightlifters use, or if you can't find that the stuff that kids use to draw on the sidewalk will do. Even some crushed up drywall/sheetrock will do.

Epoxy :rolleyes: ....why not weld it?...duh

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
All great tips.

All or most of the above tips will do the trick. I say sand the clamp and the rails, then clean them prior to clamping.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
been there, fixed that

superglue. you can still get the saddle loose later by giving it a few whacks after loosening the bolt.
nothing inherently wrong with single bolt seatposts. the problem lies in the shape of the cradles. Most singlebolt posts use a 6mm bolt, so if you hang on to old junker posts you can play around with swapping cradles. Often just replacing the upper cradle with another one that's better shaped to hold the rails will cure the problem. The old Laprade post has good cradles that don't let the saddle slip back. So does Campy super record, which also has probably the strongest single bolt ever used in such a seatpost, with a big honking 13mm head you can really reef on. I retrofitted my american classic post on a road bike with the bolt and upper cradle from a super record post just because I didn't like the looks of the wimpy little bolt american classic uses.

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,382 Posts
Adirondack Blues said:

Thanks.
I'm currently having the same issue with a single bolt Thudbuster (not one that was recalled). I've tried Gorilla Glue (didn't work more than 2 rides). I've placed pieces of 120 grit sand paper in the clamp (lasted 4 rides). I've taped the seat rail in front of the clamp (this did very little).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts