Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was way back on an in/out trail and a 6" long stick took out my derailleur hanger. I had the tools to make it into a SS but with FS that only worked with minimal pedal pressure. Fortunately the trail goes parallel with a lake and there is a road that goes parallel to that so I was able to hike up to the road and ride out and only had to walk 2 hills to get back to the car. Otherwise it would have been at least a 2 hour walk out on the trail.

This has happened to me 3 times in the last 10 years that I remember and the 2 other times the derailleur was trashed so I would not have helped, but I was thinking I should always carry a spare hanger when on long rides.:idea:

I had an extra hanger at home so I got things back in order last night which took a lot more than I thought it would. When the hanger was taken out it messed with the dropout and mounting point for the hanger as well, so without massage with various tools including a Dremel the new hanger was not going back on the bike. Then I had to deal with a derailleur that was bent in several ways as well.

So what I'm saying is that having a replacement hanger with me on the trail this time would not have done any good even though the derailleur was not broken. And the other 2 times the derailleur was trashed so it would have gone unused.

So I don't know what one could do to keep from walking out on a FS bike. This is the first time that the frame has been damaged in the process, except when it was a non replaceable hanger, so maybe it's still good to carry a hanger in the hope that you can swap it out. I guess it's worth a shot since it's pretty small. Maybe a small chain tensioner too for the times the der is dead and the hanger can be bolted back on? But that is getting into too big for the hydration pack territory. Bigger pack?

Anybody have any helpful hints from experience on this one?

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
Just one man's opinion...
I think we all run into a time when we have to walk out after a trail issue-- there's simply no way to carry EVERYTHING to deal with potential problems.

Without knowing your frame, FS can make jury rigging problematic, would locking out the shock have helped (or pumping up the air pressure to basically lock it out) with pedal pressure? Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your going to carry a spare tensioner you may as well carry a spare derailleur imho.
That crossed my mind but a derailleur is way bigger than a tensioner. An old style Singleator without the cage could even fit in my small hydration pack without much of a squeeze.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Single speed is the way to go:thumbsup:

If not, then carry the singlator. Then you will learn that SS is still the way to go;)

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Yesterday I was way back on an in/out trail and a 6" long stick took out my derailleur hanger. I had the tools to make it into a SS but with FS that only worked with minimal pedal pressure. Fortunately the trail goes parallel with a lake and there is a road that goes parallel to that so I was able to hike up to the road and ride out and only had to walk 2 hills to get back to the car. Otherwise it would have been at least a 2 hour walk out on the trail.

This has happened to me 3 times in the last 10 years that I remember and the 2 other times the derailleur was trashed so I would not have helped, but I was thinking I should always carry a spare hanger when on long rides.:idea:

I had an extra hanger at home so I got things back in order last night which took a lot more than I thought it would. When the hanger was taken out it messed with the dropout and mounting point for the hanger as well, so without massage with various tools including a Dremel the new hanger was not going back on the bike. Then I had to deal with a derailleur that was bent in several ways as well.

So what I'm saying is that having a replacement hanger with me on the trail this time would not have done any good even though the derailleur was not broken. And the other 2 times the derailleur was trashed so it would have gone unused.

So I don't know what one could do to keep from walking out on a FS bike. This is the first time that the frame has been damaged in the process, except when it was a non replaceable hanger, so maybe it's still good to carry a hanger in the hope that you can swap it out. I guess it's worth a shot since it's pretty small. Maybe a small chain tensioner too for the times the der is dead and the hanger can be bolted back on? But that is getting into too big for the hydration pack territory. Bigger pack?

Anybody have any helpful hints from experience on this one?
Basically you ran into the stick....stop doing that, ride smooth ride careful.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically you ran into the stick....stop doing that, ride smooth ride careful.
Lol. You must be kidding or you confine your riding to paved surfaces. I ride in the 'woods' ;)

I was riding a few years ago and stopped to talk to another rider for a minute. He complained that there hadn't been anyone out to pick up the sticks that were on the trail. Jesus! If you think this is bad dude it's a good thing you didn't start riding before 1990 when there were hardly any trails that were designated mtb trails and maintenance was something you only did to your bike. Spoiled brat.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Single speed is the way to go:thumbsup:

If not, then carry the singlator. Then you will learn that SS is still the way to go;)
Yeah I know. I even mentioned that on the local forum. This trail is just too steep and technical at times for me to ride a SS on. Some people get away with it apparently but I could not get up some of the climbs without mechanical advantage. I've run into a couple of guys on SS out there and they just walk the hard parts. Some apparently ride it but I'm not that gifted. Riding the hard parts is the fun of it for me and the easy parts are just filler.

·
Administrator
11,882 Posts
Yeah I know. I even mentioned that on the local forum. This trail is just too steep and technical at times for me to ride a SS on. Some people get away with it apparently but I could not get up some of the climbs without mechanical advantage. I've run into a couple of guys on SS out there and they just walk the hard parts. Some apparently ride it but I'm not that gifted. Riding the hard parts is the fun of it for me and the easy parts are just filler.
on a serious note I think that a company called YESS makes a singlespeed converted for full suspension bikes. Essentially a very simple derailleur. Could be the perfect thing to keep in your pack just in case. There is also a multi tool that comes with a derailleur hanger as port of its case (?). The hanger is universal fit as it mounts under your QR and is enough to get you home even if you destroy the fitting for your standard hanger.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just checked out YESS and except for their BMX tensioner they all employ the hanger, that I see.

I have 2 SS FS bikes and one has 2 front rings. The true SS uses an old Singleator and works fine and the 2 speed uses a Melvin and works fine.

But that gives me an idea. I know it's getting complicated but...I could easily make a temporary hanger that mounts on the quick release, could even thread on instead of the nut with a der hanger on it that would be strong enough to mount a singleator to in the case that the der is toast, the hanger is broke and the dropout is damaged so I can't install another one. Then have a hanger too in case it's just the hanger and the singleator in case it's just the der and the hanger is ok or can be replaced.

Sounds like a lot but it all could actually be pretty small and light.

For some reason all the times I have lunched the rear der/plus is on the same trail. Kind of odd since I only ride there a few times a year cause it's far away. And it's also the worst place for a long walk out.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Aloha,

I've faced similar situations over the years with my bike as well as others. Bottom line I feel is if you have it carry it as there's no point in leaving it at home. Even if it wouldn't have work, maybe next time it might. Maybe you might not be able to shift gears but you can at least take advantage of the tensioning part of even a bend derailleur.

I run thumb shifters on my bike and have thrown it into "friction" mode when I've bent things up. I feel it is always better to be able to ride a bike than walk it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I just checked out YESS and except for their BMX tensioner they all employ the hanger, that I see.

I have 2 SS FS bikes and one has 2 front rings. The true SS uses an old Singleator and works fine and the 2 speed uses a Melvin and works fine.

But that gives me an idea. I know it's getting complicated but...I could easily make a temporary hanger that mounts on the quick release, could even thread on instead of the nut with a der hanger on it that would be strong enough to mount a singleator to in the case that the der is toast, the hanger is broke and the dropout is damaged so I can't install another one. Then have a hanger too in case it's just the hanger and the singleator in case it's just the der and the hanger is ok or can be replaced.

Sounds like a lot but it all could actually be pretty small and light.

For some reason all the times I have lunched the rear der/plus is on the same trail. Kind of odd since I only ride there a few times a year cause it's far away. And it's also the worst place for a long walk out.
You can use the steel hanger from any dept. store bike as a universal spare. They are designed to be held in place by the axle nut or QR skewer.

Single pulley tensioners do not work very well on suspension frames, though. I would carry the RD. Not that much bigger.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dude - you've only had to walk out 3 times in ten years?
I think this thread has missed the bigger point.
I apologize if I seem glib or flip. But, by your own post you have only walked out THREE times in TEN YEARS.
Go out, ride, relax.

·
Banned
215 Posts
This is why I carry matches a couple of sandwhiches and water.... If it breaks, tie up the shoes and get walkin. Also...carry a good LED flashlight or use your bike light as a flashlight if it gets dark and your still in the woods.

Been there done that.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dude - you've only had to walk out 3 times in ten years?
I think this thread has missed the bigger point.
I apologize if I seem glib or flip. But, by your own post you have only walked out THREE times in TEN YEARS.
Go out, ride, relax.
From that area. Most others I frequent are not as much of an issue because they are not as big so it can take maybe half and hour to walk out where this would have taken at least 3 hours. Or what if I was on a 2 day in and out ride?

If it happened more often I likely would have started thinking about ways around it long ago.

So why not spend a little time thinking about it and be prepared?

This sounds so much like the standard don't think, ride reply. Which sounds like don't mess with that rock you might make a better tool train of thought. ;)

I like making better tools.

Btw just got back from a great ride on the FS SS with a chain tensioner. No issues. Worked great just like it has for the last 6 months of riding it.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I always carry a spare bike strapped to my pack... I hate walking...

No, seriously, if you are going to carry anything, a spare derailleur is about the most sensible. Some spokes maybe. Spare wheel. Maybe 2. Broke a frame once. A pedal. Handlebar. Brake lever.
S**t, take a spare bike...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I carry a spare hanger. I have on two occasions been able to replace the hanger and continue. On two other occasions, I had to convert to SS on my FS, lockout the shock and been able to ride home. This is the last 15 years. I also ride on wooded 'ungroomed' trails and have become super tuned to irregularity in the rear drive and slam on my breaks whenever something feels wrong. This has probably save a few hangers. I also have the advantage of most of the rides I do are up out, down back so getting out is easier. I think if I was going to do an epic with no easy way out, I might carry the derailleur (never have though, knock wood).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Huh?

This sounds so much like the standard don't think, ride reply. Which sounds like don't mess with that rock you might make a better tool train of thought. ;)
I have no idea what you are trying to convey with this statement. :confused:

So here is a link to a bunny with a pancake on its head: Pancake Bunny - Oh Internet

;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.